Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using Rocket Sockets Stick a Switches and Motion Detectors with CFLs  (Read 3574 times)

jstorino

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hello everyone.  I am new to X10, but am eager to get started.  However, I need some assistance making sure I am heading in the right direction

I have two old light fixtures, one above my front porch, the other above the side entrance to my garage door.  I would like both of these lights to turn on when the motion detector trips.  I also want the ability to turn at least the light above my front door on or off manually from a switch inside the house.  I was going to purchase the following devices to do this, would this be correct?

1 motion detector MS14A - Used to trip both light fixtures.

1 XP1A Switch - to turn front porch light on/off from inside the house.  I know I need a neutral wire.  Or, can I get away with a rocket socket LM15A and use a "Stick a Switch" SS13A?  I am confused about using these rocket socets with CFLs

1 Rocket Socket LM15A - For the Garage entrance fixture (if it can be used with CFLs).
This is a little more complicated.  The light currently has a standard on/off switch inside my garage that I plan on leaving the way it is.  I know I have to leave the switch in the on position at all times.  The light will only turn on if the motion detector trips it, or if I use a "Stick a Switch" SS13A from inside the house to turn it on or off.

I assume I will need a controller to make all of this function.  I was going to first try things out with the basic TM751 Wireless Transciever, but then thought maybe the Active Home bundle which comes with the transceiver might be the better way to go in the long run.

Please let me know if I am heading in the right direction.  Thanks in advance!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Using Rocket Sockets Stick a Switches and Motion Detectors with CFLs
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:52:27 PM »

Both the Stick a Switch and the Motion Sensor use RF to communicate. You will need a Tranceiver to send the X10 power line signal to the Socket Rockets. TM751 is the one X10 now sells. The X10 RR501 is a better unit and can be found on some automation sites. I believe X10 no longer has them on their web site.

The CM15A controller part of the AHP package is an all house code transceiver but some have seen poor reception distances with it. That is why we have threads on adding to the built in antenna.

Motion Sensors also send an off after a no motion time out. So you lights would again go out after the time out.

Differences between the X10 Motion sensors features.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Comparison_of_All_Motion_Sensors

X10 says no CFL bulbs in a Socket Rocket, but it does not dim and many here have used them with no problems.

jstorino

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »

Thanks for your reply Brian H!  I went ahead and placed my order today.  I went ahead and bought the AHP package, so I will try the CM15A controller.  I'll mod the antenna if necessary.  If that does not work out, I will try the RR501.

I can't wait to get started with this project!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 08:45:52 PM »

X10 says no CFL bulbs in a Socket Rocket, but it does not dim and many here have used them with no problems.

X10 is full of it.  I have 8 Socket Rockets, all with CFLs in them with ZERO problems.  They are ideal for CFLs as they do not dim.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 06:20:53 AM »

Dan. It could be a CYA. On the off chance a certain brand CFL fails. They can say "We told you not to do it"
I had a CFL have an end of life burnout and if it was in a Socket Rocket. I could have thought the Socket Rocket did it. Though I know that is not the case at all.

Though most CFLs do work fine in a Socket Rocket. It does stress them slightly. I have measured the AC current through a few brands of CFLs. They  draw slightly more current in a Socket Rocket than alone. Most likely not much effect on them. As many, including you, have used them with no problems.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:58:02 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.