Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless Web Cam ??  (Read 6304 times)

ironman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wireless Web Cam ??
« on: December 22, 2009, 07:28:32 PM »

Hello All,

New to forum but an X-10 user from waaaaaay back. I have a question. I've been looking for a way to use a wireless camera with Windows Live Messenger (or any of the various 'chat' programs) so that I'm not stuck in front of my PC with the hard wired Logitech web cam I have. I's like to have the ability to mount it on a helmet or just to be able to take it in to another room to show the person I'm connected to via 'Live' the other rooms or objects in my house. I noticed in another post that the wireless X-10 cams (I have an older color wireless models but willing to upgrade) can be viewed in 'Microsoft Movie Maker'. Of course my cam has no USB connection for the PC but do the newer ones have the ability to function just like the Logitech or Microsoft web cams but wireless ?? I have looked into the wireless USBs but it means having to drag around a 50' Cat 5 cord - not terrible but 'wireless' would be neater. Any help ?
I wanted to buy one for my mom and I so we can 'visit' on Christmas. I thought these would be readily available but much to my surprise there are only 'security' cameras which require FTP and web space etc. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated !!

HALBY58

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Wireless Web Cam ??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 05:02:41 PM »

I struggled with the same thing.  My solution was to just buy an inexpensive laptop from Dell on ebay for $399 that had a webcam built into it.  I realize not everybody can do that, but that was the best solution for me.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »

ironman,

This is not a complete answer, but maybe some of the other users here can help flesh it out a bit.

From my experience, X10's VA11A can be seen by Windows Live Messenger as a web cam.  I'm not positive if that still holds true with the latest model number VA12A.

The VA's will take standard NTSC video and raw audio as input.

Since you already have a X10 wireless color camera, you probably already have a X10 video receiver.  That would receive the wireless video from the camera, and when connected to a VA and then to the computer, you have video.  The audio may be more difficult, depending on which camera you have and whether it has a built-in microphone.

Also, the X10 wireless cameras are not truely wireless unless you buy their add-on base that houses batteries.

I will finish by saying that at least one member here has used a cheap 1.2 GHz wireless battery powered camera, made by another manufacturer, successfully for video, at least.

Any thoughts guys?

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 08:26:55 AM »

Any thoughts guys?

I like HALBY58's idea of a laptop with cam built in. I have video chatted with my out-of-state son... and the wireless laptops are the way to go.

As far as Mom... I'd get her what I got for my wife... a logitech face tracking camera.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.