Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sensor Problem  (Read 29322 times)

kevinb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Sensor Problem
« on: December 26, 2009, 08:30:29 PM »

I had a working system for over a year and then I started getting a blinking light or two. I reinstall all 16 zones and then a week later the same two started blinking. I replaced the two door/window sensors and reinstalled the alarm and a few days later the same ones started blinking again. I replaced all the batteries and still those two zones 1 & 8 started blinking. Any thoughts?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Sensor Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 10:08:16 PM »

.... the same two started blinking.

Since the batteries are new.. and the DS10A's are new... I would guess the location may have changed. Although I realize in most cases that can't actually be true. The console can be moved or the antenna grounded... or colasped. Or something moved so as to interfear with the reception from the "two sensors". Like maybe a new refrigerator, or plasma TV?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

kevinb

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:33:12 AM »

Nothing has changed. I have sensors that are downstairs and they never have a problem. The two that are not working are both less than 30 feet from the unit.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 12:32:44 PM »

As Dave_x10_L stated.
something moved so as to interfear with the reception from the "two sensors".

Do a search for RF interference.
It  is not always an electrical device that can effect the sensors. B:(
Is it a clear line of sight to these sensors?
Since you replace the old sensors with new ones test the old ones in another location possible where others are working flawless.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

kevinb

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »

I am going to move the base and see if that helps. After looking at other post the only thing that could have caused this problem is the addition of a 5.8 gig phone.

kevinb

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 01:52:08 PM »

Moving it didn't work. Is there another wireless system I can try?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 02:24:36 PM »

Did you try changing the channel on the phone?
Did you unplug the phone base and test with it unplugged? ??? ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

kevinb

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »

I didn't do anything to the phone, because I need it working. I am able to successfully install the alarm and then within a few days a few sensors start flashing. I have replaced those win/door sensor reinstalled and then a few days later the same thing happens.

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »

try using a wired phone for a few days to rule out the possibility that the 5.8ghz phone is interfering with your sensors.

kevinb

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 03:43:39 PM »

My brother has this same system with the same phone and has never had a problem. I wish I could find another model to try. Thanks

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 09:23:52 AM »

After looking at other post the only thing that could have caused this problem is the addition of a 5.8 gig phone.

kevinb,

I did tech support for 20 years.  One of the first questions I asked was about additions to the system (just) before it started malfunctioning.  Anything that was added became a prime suspect until it was ruled out. 

Other posters have suggested/requested that you take that phone out of the equation and test.  The options suggested, removing the cordless phone and/or replacing it with a land line are very good first steps.

BTW, my tech support experience was 100% in telephony - big and small systems.

As a result of my work experience, I will never have only a cordless phone system in my house.  The reason is simple, electrical power. When, not if, you lose power to your house, your cordless phone system will not work unless you have battery backup for it.  On the other hand, your landline will continue to work because it is powered through the phone line by the phone company.

Mel

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 09:55:01 AM »

............. electrical power. When, not if, you lose power to your house, your cordless phone system will not work unless you have battery backup for it.  On the other hand, your landline will continue to work because it is powered through the phone line by the phone company.

Good point Mel99! I don't know why we don't post more about the normal natural disasters that regularly effect our lives. Lost of power is normal reoccurring event. Keeping a working phone and a flashlight handy can add a lot of safety and security to your life.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 10:34:52 AM »

I have landlines in two places - on my night stand: I want to be able to answer that call in the middle of the night without looking for one of the cordless phones somebody forgot to put back on the charger - and in the office:  I want to know that there will always be a phone there.

Don't get me started on working flashlights and spare batteries.  My wife thinks I'm a little OCD about those two little items.

I noticed I got a Helpful.  Thanks.  I figured one day I'd get one, so I prepared that following (with credit and apologies to the 'Riddick Trilogy').

Jack/Krya - How do I get a (Helpful) like that?
Riddick - You gotta (help) a few people.
Krya - Did a lot of that
Riddick - And then you get sent to a slam where they tell you you'll never see daylight again. So you dig up a doctor, pay him twenty menthol Kools to give you a (Helpful)…
Krya - Only there wasn't a doctor there who would give me a (Helpful), not even for 20 menthol Kools. Was there anything you said that was true?

>!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:39:21 AM by Mel99 »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 10:51:41 AM »

In another thread a poster discovered his X10 Security System problem as accidental dual installation of the same sensor. Is that possible here?

I am assuming when you repalced the two problem sensors the first time, you replaced with NEW sensors, so you might try moving two sensors from the known good locations to the two problem locations and see if they develop the same symptoms. (basically Tuicemens suggestion).

I'm also of the opinion it is a location problem....is the 5.8 GHz phone the ONLY new RF gizmos you have??

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 11:12:18 AM »

I'll throw in my 2 pennies here.

What's the proximity of the alarm system to the nearest HAM operator, or supermarket with automatic doors or governmental agency running a new radio system or the nearest airbase?

When Agent99 did an antenna mod to his CM15, he picked up a lot of "skip", which instead of helping his system, it actually made it worse.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.