Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS467 Not Sure how to hook up  (Read 3895 times)

sk1pmcgee

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
WS467 Not Sure how to hook up
« on: January 26, 2010, 07:53:21 AM »

I read the manual and it said to hook both the blue and black wires up to the exisiting black wire (hot wire) in my switch box....what should I do with the white "Neutral wire"...Not hook it up???

Anyone have any ideas?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: WS467 Not Sure how to hook up
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:51:08 AM »

Was the white wire connected to one of the original switches terminals and if it was did the switch have a pilot light?

Is this a single switch type or a three way?

In a switch loop sometimes white is not neutral.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »

I read the manual and it said to hook both the blue and black wires up to the existing black wire (hot wire) in my switch box....what should I do with the white "Neutral wire"...Not hook it up???

Anyone have any ideas?
I think you mis-read the instructions. One wire goes to "Hot" the other wire goes to the fixture. The switch just does not care which way it's connected (generally),  and X10 does not know if you have two black wires in the box, or a black and a white wire in the box. It is confusing when they label both wires as black in the diagram they should not have tried to assign colors to the wires. The written instruction steps clarify things.

From the instructions: "Remove the two wires from your old switch and connect them to the two wires on the WS467 using the wire nuts provided."
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

sk1pmcgee

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:04:56 PM »

Ok sounds good...that makes sense....normally when i hook up any type of dimmer switches..and I turn the light fixture on...there is some noise coming from the switch box itself...like a humming noise...when i turn the switch off...the noise stops...any way I can stop that noise?

sk1pmcgee

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 05:37:42 PM »

Hooked it up...swtich works fine locally....however..programmed HC and UC to A3...set my slimline switch to turn on and off the ws647....I even added it to AHP (but I used the LM14a fix like i was told)...I tried and use the slimline switch to turn on and off...and the image of the light switch on AHP works...but the actual light in my master bedroom doesnt do anything....

My PC with the CM15a is plugged in downstairs...and the light switch is hooked up to my upstairs bedroom

Any suggestions

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:05:24 PM »

In AHP's screen. Do you see the switch toggle when the slim switch is activated?
If you don't see it toggle on the screen then you have an RF signal problem from the slim line to the CM15A.
If you see it toggle in AHP then you may want to look in the hardware configuration and see if the A House Code is set to be tranceived.
If it still doesn't get to the switch than we have to look into power line signal problems.
Have you looked at any of the troubleshooting threads here?
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=fia4somvt646m1f9ar60hogk94&topic=7951.0
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

sk1pmcgee

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 06:16:52 PM »

Brian H thanks for the response....looks like it is a powerline problem....the switch toggles and I set the house code to be transceived...I know the power line is not a problem in the basement b/c I have a socket rocket connected...and I know it is good on the 1st floor b/c I have a socket rocket there as well...it seems to be the 3rd floor....would you reccommend a phase coupler....no idea what that is...but people on this forum seem to be using it

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »

^^ Please review the recommended reading by Brian.

Answers to your questions like what a phase coupler is will be revealed.

r,
eagle
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:12:09 PM by eagle »

sk1pmcgee

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »

Yup I did....gonna get a plug in phase coupler that plugs in the dryer outlet....and hopfully that fixes my problem

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »

I turn the light fixture on...there is some noise coming from the switch box itself...like a humming noise...when i turn the switch off...the noise stops...any way I can stop that noise?
No. The buzz comes from a coil inside the dimmer. How the coil is constructed will make a difference in how loud it humms, but no way to get rid of it, it is just the nature of the beast. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.