Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: xtb-iir electrical connection  (Read 9247 times)

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
xtb-iir electrical connection
« on: February 06, 2010, 02:29:15 PM »

I bought a 3 prong dryer cord for the xtb-iir but it looks like the insulation from the cord won't even fit in the strain relief provided with the xtb-iir. any ideas?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: xtb-iir electrical connection
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:02:18 PM »

The XTB-IIR was designed to accept 16 or 18 gauge wire, and is internally fused at 2A.  The terminal strips inside will accept up to 12 gauge Romex, and that will fit through the strain relief.  A dryer cord is probably 10 gauge, which is much too heavy.

For those who wanted a dryer plug installed, places like HomeDepot or Lowes sell separate dryer plugs that I connect with the 16 gauge power cord that will fit through the strain relief.

4-conductor power cord can be difficult to find, but you can also wire it with 3-conductor power cord because the ground connection is not needed.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brandt

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 06:14:15 PM »

I've looked at like 3 different hardware stores around here. I can't even find a NEMA 10-30 plug. :(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 07:10:24 PM »

Electrical supply house or wholesaler.
I found some on a Google search. One was Amazon.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 07:34:18 PM »

I have picked up both the 3-prong and 4-prong versions at Lowes.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brandt

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 09:06:22 PM »

Looks like lowe's has a universal one 's80-sp' but they don't do ship to store, so it would end up costing too much.

If only the xtb-iir could accept the cheap $11 dryer cord...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 05:55:57 AM »

I saw the universal Leviton 10-30P/10-50P on Amazon for like 12.07 and I believe was around $18 with shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P9S9I6/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:58:53 AM by Brian H »

Brandt

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 11:47:04 AM »

I saw the universal Leviton 10-30P/10-50P on Amazon for like 12.07 and I believe was around $18 with shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P9S9I6/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I think I've seen every 10-30P on the internet by now...
That's still more than the $11 dryer cord ($13 after tax) I can pick up at my local hardware store....

The dryer cord fits in the xtb-iir case without the strain relief, Would a bigger heyco strain relief fit in that machined opening?

Also would it be up-to-code to splice it to a smaller gauge power cord inside the xtb-iir box with twist-ons so that I could attach it to that j2 terminal?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 12:45:18 PM »

When ever you go with this industrial stuff it is expensive. I know the twist lock plug to fit my generator was like $25

Brandt

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 04:43:06 PM »

ok the money is spent...

They had one of these at my local ace hardware store:
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-R00287-Range-Dryer-Plug/dp/B00004YUKE

It was hoping not to have to pay over $10 for a plug, but I figure even with that cheaper S80-SP I saw online, it would end up being the same after tax and s&h (and I would have to wait a couple days)

I also bought 2 feet of 16-3 gauge power cable for 0.69c a foot. It looks like though that this leviton plug might be able to clamp right over the top of the heyco strain relief provided with the kit...that would be a nice neat configuration ;) i'll have to see when I get home..
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:47:33 PM by pomprocker »

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 06:30:53 PM »

Hi pomprocker,

Did you see the review on that product at amazon?

Below is the review.

Please be careful.

r,
eagle

------

1.0 out of 5 stars Hazardous design, terrible quality, January 5, 2010

By    Amber Demeester - See all my reviews

This plug is DANGEROUS!

I am an electrical engineer and I am very careful with electrical devices. The contacts on this plug are terribly designed. They are not well held inside the plastic housing. The screws are way too close to each other and can short out. Also, the contact mounting plate has too much of a gap and can't hold stranded cable wire! The wire will most likely not be retained by the contact screws and may short out and cause FIRE!

The cable has no good way of being held by the shell and will most likely be held only by the contact screws which have the above described problem. I don't know how anyone can make this plug work safely.

Hubbell HBL9337C NEMA 10-30P AC Plug may be a better product but I haven't seen it in any of the stores. Stores in my area appear to be carrying only LEVITON. Does Leviton have monopoly?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:41:52 PM by eagle »

Brandt

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 07:53:48 PM »

Thanks, I didnt even see that...I was just happy to get a plug...it did look a little questionable when i quickly looked at it....Ill take a closer look tonight when I get home.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 12:29:30 PM »

Just got my XTB-IIR!    My question is this.  I don't have any open breakers and was wondering if I could or should double up on two of them?  I know a little about wiring.  But my concern is, I don't want to screw up my new toy!  Any help is appreciated.    :)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Brandt

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 01:36:15 PM »

Thanks, I didnt even see that...I was just happy to get a plug...it did look a little questionable when i quickly looked at it....Ill take a closer look tonight when I get home.

The plug is fine as long as you read the directions, and follow them and pay attention to detail. I got my XTB-IIR mounted and plugged into my 10-30rectepacle just fine. Works great!

The only thing is the outlet where I need it most only went from 0.01v to 0.12v ( this is where my cm11a is plugged in by the computer) Will that be enough for the cm11a to see? I didn't have time to fully test things out yet.

Brandt

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 01:37:38 PM »

Just got my XTB-IIR!    My question is this.  I don't have any open breakers and was wondering if I could or should double up on two of them?  I know a little about wiring.  But my concern is, I don't want to screw up my new toy!  Any help is appreciated.    :)

No dryer outlet??
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.