Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rainbird sprinkler timer replacement  (Read 30569 times)

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: Rainbird sprinkler timer replacement
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 10:44:59 PM »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 06:21:03 AM »

From the photo.
On the left side of the housing. The AC comes up from the electrical box below it. Through the BX cable. Into the white assembly with the screw holding the cover on it. The transformer and AC Line wiring are most likely inside that white assembly.

With the power off. If you unscrew the cover mounting screw. You will probably see the transformer and wiring.

Brandt

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 02:47:10 PM »

yes, the rain8II is on my wishlist, but the costs keep adding up...

I'd have to replace the manual backyard valves, run cable, build some sort of enclosure on the backyard valves, etc, etc...

ho-hum-maybe another paycheck  :'

and another paycheck....i replaced the leaky slip joint and two manual valves in the backyard with automatic valves.....now I have to track down some 100' of 18/3 irrigation wire to run to the garage at the front of the house to the old rainbird timer.....and maybe next paycheck the Rain8II  ;D

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »

Sounds like things are progressing.
Thanks for the update on your progress.

Brandt

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »

Usually the gardeners do minor repairs or adjustments to the sprinkler system and they will need to be able to turn on each valve manually from outside the house (the timer is located in the garage). The current RainBird controller has a manual advance button. I've also replaced two manual valves in the backyard with automatic valves
(http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100013941&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100013941&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D26X-_-100013941&locStoreNum=603&marketID=48).

Is there a way to manually turn on valves from the Rain8II without having to get on the computer? Or are there automatic valves you recommend that also have manual on/off functionality?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 12:49:46 PM »

Is there a way to manually turn on valves from the Rain8II without having to get on the computer? Or are there automatic valves you recommend that also have manual on/off functionality?

I use a TM751 set to the Rain8 housecode, and take a PalmPad outside with me.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brandt

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »

Oh thats a good idea! I actually have a w800usb, so I would just need a palmpad set to the rain8 housecode then!   :)%

I use a TM751 set to the Rain8 housecode, and take a PalmPad outside with me.

Jeff

Brandt

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 01:57:17 AM »

I ended up purchasing a Rain8II today ( I work down the street from the Smarthome store, I can just walk in and buy things anytime  :P  )   

I would like to repurpose the old Rainbird enclosure and transformer for my Rain8II. I would just remove the old circuit board and display.

Here is the manual so you can see the wiring toward the bottom. The transformer has a common, 9.5v, and 24.5v output:
http://www.rainbird.com/pdf/diy/man_EZ1D.pdf

The instructions that came with the Rain8II say to hook up the two connections on the provided transformer to the two terminal connections marked '24 vac in' and all the commons from the valves to the common terminal.

Are both of the outputs from the transformer 24vac? Where is the common output? Do I wire the common output from the old transformer to the common terminal on the Rain8II? Do I jumper the two 24vac inputs when using the one 24.5vac output from the old transformer?

thanks in advance  >!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 06:08:23 AM »

No both outputs of the original transformer are not 24 volts.
Look at page 6 of the manual.
Yellow is the common terminal for both voltages.
Red is the 9.5 Volt Hot.
Blue is the 24.5 Volt Hot.
So for the 24.5 volts. Use the Yellow Common and the Blue 24.5 Volts Hot.
The Red 9.5 Volts Hot is not used. Tape it up so it doesn't touch something and short out.

The Rain8II manual 30004 {I looked at the expansion set module kit} shows the 24 volts on terminals 11 and 12. So connect the transformer there.
The 30005 starter kit manual doesn't call out the 11 and 12 but it should be the same.  ;D

The Common terminals on the Rain8II are for one side of every valve in use.

Don't connect the transformer to one of the common Rain8II terminals.
Use 11 and 12 for the 24 volts. Your choice on colors. Just get the Yellow and Blue wires connected to 11 and 12 of the Rain8II.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:29:04 AM by Brian H »

Brandt

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »

No both outputs of the original transformer are not 24 volts.
Look at page 6 of the manual.
Yellow is the common terminal for both voltages.
Red is the 9.5 Volt Hot.
Blue is the 24.5 Volt Hot.
So for the 24.5 volts. Use the Yellow Common and the Blue 24.5 Volts Hot.
The Red 9.5 Volts Hot is not used. Tape it up so it doesn't touch something and short out.

The Rain8II manual 30004 {I looked at the expansion set module kit} shows the 24 volts on terminals 11 and 12. So connect the transformer there.
The 30005 starter kit manual doesn't call out the 11 and 12 but it should be the same.  ;D

The Common terminals on the Rain8II are for one side of every valve in use.

Don't connect the transformer to one of the common Rain8II terminals.
Use 11 and 12 for the 24 volts. Your choice on colors. Just get the Yellow and Blue wires connected to 11 and 12 of the Rain8II.

I was referring to the transformer that came with the Rain8II when I asked if both outputs were 24vac.The reason I asked is because the outputs are not individually labeled on the transformer and on terminal 11 and 12 on the Rain8II they both say '24 vac in'. I was under the impression that one of those was to power the Rain8II and one of those was voltage for the valves. That is why there are two voltage outputs on the RainBird; the 9.5vac powers the controller (as well as a 9v backup battery), and the 24.5vac is for the valves. On terminal 11 and 12 on the Rain8II, which one is common and which one is vac in?

The manual that came with my kit is 30006

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 12:40:48 PM »

Well the RainBird had two voltage so the electronics could be powered by a lower voltage.
I don't think the Rain8II is the same.

Unfortunately the manual I found for kit 30006 does not show details on the transformer.
It only shows the 24 volts going to 11 and 12 as it should power both the electronics and valves through 11 and 12.
You may have to ask WGL Support for more details or Smarthome Support where you bought the kit.
The transformer is a wall wart isn't it?

Brandt

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »

Well the RainBird had two voltage so the electronics could be powered by a lower voltage.
I don't think the Rain8II is the same.

Unfortunately the manual I found for kit 30006 does not show details on the transformer.
It only shows the 24 volts going to 11 and 12 as it should power both the electronics and valves through 11 and 12.
You may have to ask WGL Support for more details or Smarthome Support where you bought the kit.
The transformer is a wall wart isn't it?

Yes the transformer that came with the kit is a wall wart and that has two screw terminals on it which are not individually labeled. The instructions just say to take 2-conductor wire and run it to terminal 11 & 12 on the Rain8II.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »

OK. Then all you have to do is connect the terminals on the wall transformer to 11 and 12 of the Rain8II.
Strictly AC and not polarized.

I reread the 30006 instructions and did in fact see the connect the transformer terminals to the 24 volt connectors on the Rain8II with 2 wires. Old age on my part I guess as I did miss it the first time.  ???

The only thing you would have to watch is if you used an expansion Rain8II. The power wires jumping the master to the salve would have to be 11 to 11 and 12 to 12.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:54:30 PM by Brian H »

Brandt

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 12:52:47 PM »

OK. Then all you have to do is connect the terminals on the wall transformer to 11 and 12 of the Rain8II.
Strictly AC and not polarized.

The only thing you would have to watch is if you used an expansion Rain8II. The power wires jumping the master to the salve would have to be 11 to 11 and 12 to 12.

That is correct there is no polarization or ground on the wall wart.

Brandt

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 01:44:17 PM »

Warren got back to me:

Hi Brandt,

There is a possibility that the built in transformer has one side of the 24vac transformer connected to ground.  This will cause some problems as your Rain8II is expecting a floating power supply.  You can see if this is case by using a voltmeter and measuring from ground  to both the 24vac terminal and the common terminal.  If you measure any voltage at all don’t use it.

The safe way is to just use the transformer that came with your kit.

Warren
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.