Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Audio and Video to PC?  (Read 6760 times)

JFreezy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Audio and Video to PC?
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »

Hi I'm new to X10 and have a prospect that wants a 1 camera audio/video to her PC for in home spy surveillance. I noticed the usb adapter is only video in. Any other suggestions from anyone?? Thanks

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Audio and Video to PC?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »

Hi I'm new to X10 and have a prospect that wants a 1 camera audio/video to her PC for in home spy surveillance. I noticed the usb adapter is only video in. Any other suggestions from anyone?? Thanks

Wireless? Use the correct receiver.
http://www.x10.com/products/receivers.htm#Camera%20Audio/Video
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:38:36 PM »

Just one point.
Recording audio can get you in trouble in many states and with the Federal Government.
http://www.a1-hiddencamera.com/Article_AudioRecordingLaws.html

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 02:15:26 PM »

... Recording audio can get you in trouble in many states and with the Federal Government.
http://www.a1-hiddencamera.com/Article_AudioRecordingLaws.html

That's a great link Brian H (thanks for sharing). Even though I live in one of those states that allow one person consent... that consent would apply to a two person conversation. Not my consent to record people at my home.

As I understand the laws... and I am NOT a lawyer... it has to do with a persons Reasonable Expectations. If you come to my door... because I live in a public area... you should have a reasonable expectation to be seen. But because you don't see others close to you... your expectation to NOT be heard... would be reasonable. So recording you on camera is fine... but listening... would be a violation.

Because some of my cameras are in what might be considered nonpublic areas like my backyard (NONE are in private areas). My Voice Warning Announcement comes in handy.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

STI2NR

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • Security cams online!!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 02:44:47 PM »

I have been using this setup on my windows vista 32 bit operating system and it works flawlessly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260561818914&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

With all of the violence going on nowadays I doubt any judge would frown upon any evidence you might catch on your cameras audio wise that might solve a case.

On top of that I live in Oregon (1 person consent state) and have very clearly posted CCTV signs on my property. 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:48:04 PM by STI2NR »
Licensed Inside Commercial Electrician in Oregon and Washington --USMC veteran 1993-2001--3 time marathon completer 2008 (4:12) 2009 (PDX 3:44, Seattle 3:32)

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:11:29 PM »

Although the USB adapter X10 sells doesn't have an audio input, I don't see why you couldn't hook the audio from the proper receiver (VR31A) to the audio input on the computer.  Of course, you'd need to record that audio and video, and I don't believe X10 has the software to do that.

I have also used the USB adapter that  STI2NR has posted the link to.  It works well for ONE camera, and gives you motion-sensing auto-recording audio and video with the included software.  It does not, however, give real-time video for more than one input.  It has a maximum of 30 frames per second, or one camera input.

I have since bought a 4-input PCI card, which is 120 maximum frames per second (the SC-PVS4) which records full-motion video on all 4 inputs.

Good luck with your legal recording endeavor   ;D
>!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.