Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Help CM15A not working  (Read 21437 times)

hal2000

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
Re: Help CM15A not working
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 01:52:39 PM »

Have not made any electrical changes or added any new devices, how would I check for noise?

The modules are WS12As which were always controlled AHP timer events.

Last night I turned off the computer, unplugged the CM15A from the electrical socket, removed the batteries and left it like that. This morning one of the 2 modules had switched back on. I have since disconnected the transceiver and it still went back on a few hours later.

I am totally confused now, I have eliminated the PC, the CM15A and the transceiver, what is left?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »

I have eliminated the PC, the CM15A and the transceiver, what is left?

...noise...

...or a neighbor with X10.

One thing is for sure, it's not your CM15A. Start unplugging things to track the problem down, or get an X10 noise meter.

hal2000

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »

Thanks,

If I unplugged the transceiver, wouldn't that eliminate a neighbor's X10?

I'll be pissed if it is my neighbor, I was the one who convinced him to install X10  ;D

I have started unplugging devices, this may take a while.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »

Maybe you should compare House Codes so you don't both use the same ones.
Though X10 power line signals usually would have a hard time getting from one home to another. If you are both on the same power transformer. It could happen. Even more so if one had an XTB-IIR that blasts signals on to the power line.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 04:08:51 PM »

Maybe you should compare House Codes so you don't both use the same ones.
Though X10 power line signals usually would have a hard time getting from one home to another. If you are both on the same power transformer. It could happen. Even more so if one had an XTB-IIR that blasts signals on to the power line.
It sure will save a lot of unplugging. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 04:25:33 PM »

If I unplugged the transceiver, wouldn't that eliminate a neighbor's X10?
No.
X10 modules like the Wall Switch, Lamp Module, Appliance Module, etc. (basically every X10 module that gets connected to the powerlines but does not have an antenna) receive their commands by PLC (powerline carrier). So, considering one of your problems is modules mysteriously turning ON, I bet you found your problem...ask your neighbor if they have X10 modules acting strangely. "Yeah, how did you know" will probably be the answer.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:11:02 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 06:08:37 PM »

If you both share the same utility transformer, you essentially have one combined X10 system.  You either have to agree on who uses what housecodes, or at least one of you (preferably both) will have to install the PZZ01 whole-house signal block to try to isolate the two systems from each other.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 07:32:47 PM »

Good idea  >!   Considering X10 does not do mass marketing, the odds of two houses on the same transformer at 100 to 1.   I've had X10 for over 20 years and a few of my fiends got turned on about the same time, two of them live in apartments/condos and never had a problem like that.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

hal2000

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »

Thanks for all the help.

I have installed AHP on a different computer, a fairly new one I just got for travel, there's not much loaded on it.

I tested a few commands, still no luck, some will turn on but not off, others not at all.

My neighbor is away on vacation, so I will try a few different house codes to see if that works.

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 05:54:57 AM »

Hal2000,

Yep, good idea.

For testing purposes, move up the house code up or down to see if the device connected to it works.

Set the timer in 1 min intervals so you can see how it responds. 

For giggles, do you have an extra TM751?  If so, plug it in halfway between the CM15A and the device.  Then create a macro that is triggered on/off by the same house code.  Use RF commands vs. plc and see what happens.   If it responds to both on and off commands and shows up on the monitor report, then you definitely are losing signal strength at that outlet.  Next step would be to start unplugging all electronics and appliances to find the signal suckers/interference generators

For this test, try it with the macro controlled by PC only and via the CM15a.  If the device responds via PC and not the CM15A, then the CM15A is the one that is at fault.

Papapaul, you haven't posted your results.  Did you get your system fixed?

r,
eagle
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:12:01 AM by eagle »

hal2000

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 07:08:17 PM »

Here's an update on my situation.

Checked with neighbors, no conflict we are all (3) using different house codes.

One of the neighbors is an electrician and told me he had problems with installing X10 at a friends house. He resolved the issue by removing all CFLs in the house, none of which were on X10 devices. He suggested I try that as well as shutting down the main power for 5 minutes to clear any residual noise. I tried it and voila, no phantom on/off sequences.

However, most of my programmed units do not go on and not all turn off at the designated time. I decided to reload my CM15A, and now get an X10 error message that the USB device  is not connected, I have tried on 2 different computers w/X10 software, the unit is not being recognized. :-\

Will unplugging and removing the batteries reset the unit, or do I have to find another one?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 08:19:12 PM »

To get Windows to recognize the CM15A, first, unplug the usb cable from the CM15A (not the PC) and shut the PC  down.  Now, plug the USB cable back into the CM15A and reboot the computer.  When the PC boots and Windows loads, go into the Control Panel, click on the System icon and when it opens, click on the Hardware tab. Then click on Device Manager.  Drill down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Click on that and expand it. At the bottom. look for X10 USB Active Home (APCI-Compliant) - That's the CM15A. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

hal2000

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 08:02:37 PM »

Thanks Dave, the CM15A is now recognized.

But, I still cannot control any of my devices using it. Timed events do not work, nor do direct commands. The CM15A is plugged into an electrical outlet and connected to my PC, I cannot turn devices on or off from AHP.

Also, I noticed that downloading to the CM15A sometimes takes a ridiculous amount of time (!0 minutes), other times not more than a few seconds. AHP often tells me that I have made changes (I haven't) and shows the transfer icon on the bottom.

I also tried using a UR19A remote, I can get module A7 to turn off but not on, I cannot get A8 to do either.

So again, it doesn't seem to be the CM15A, are we back to a noise problem?

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 04:34:24 PM »

I've had the same problem (the CM15a not recognized; not being able to control anything from within AHP; taking waaay tooo long to d/l macros to CM15a, timers/macros not working, etc.) What I've had to do is unplug the CM15a from the computer and the wall, take out the batteries, and leave the CM15a sitting there for a few hours - sometimes as long as 8 hours. I usually reboot my PC, install any Windows, java, viewers, etc. updates while I'm waiting. Once the time is up, I install the batteries, plug the unit back into the wall, and connect it to the PC again.

Once it's detected and properly recognized, I start AHP, select "Clear Interface Memory", then "Download Timers and Macros".. That's it.

At first, I had to go through this process every other day. As time went by, I've had to do it once a month or even every other month. My take on it is that the CM15a simply get confused and needs a total reset. The way I can tell that it's time to do it again is by looking at the "Activity Monitor" (F2 in AHP.) I have a bunch of X10 sensors, light switches, sockets, filters, signal amplifier, two-way floodlights, and more, which means that the "Activity Monitor" has an entry every few minutes.

If the last notification is over an hour old, it's time to reset the CM15a. Sometimes, I notice that my regularly scheduled security/outside lights don't go on/off as they should. That's another clue. I think you get the point. I would give this a shot if I were you.

In your case, since you're close to other X10 traffic (your neighboors'), it's possible that all of that combined may be throwing your CM15a into that state. good luck!

hal2000

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 07:38:39 PM »

I've done that with the CM15A twice now, leaving it unplugged and w/o batteries overnight. Both times I have Cleared Interface Memory and then reloaded Timers and Macros.

I ran a new test today, unplugged the CM15A and installed a TM751. Using remote UR19A, was able to turn off the modules at address 7 & 8, but not turn them on. Tried the same test with CM15A plugged in and TM751 removed, no luck on or off.

I will try reseting the CM15A again tonight, but it seems that I have another problem since I can't turn the modules on with the transceiver either.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.