Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RR501 only Works in Unit Code 9  (Read 16108 times)

mrcarnevale

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
RR501 only Works in Unit Code 9
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:14:59 PM »

OK, I'm a newbie just starting to use the old original ActiveHome hardware. I got the system years ago as a present and just ran across it today and installed it. This system came with the KC674 remote (can't control Unit Code 9). In general, the system seems to work relatively well but the RR501 won't respond to commands from the computer or RF remote in Unit code 1. The RR501 will respond to the computer in Unit Code 9 so even though it's never been used, unless I'm missing something it has a defect such that it basically will only work as an appliance module. They don't seem to sell RR501s anymore; will a TM751 work as a replacement with my old CM11A computer interface?

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
Re: RR501 only Works in Unit Code 9
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 09:57:24 AM »

M M ElectricMan

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:04:18 AM »

First I would try moving the Unit 1-9 switch back and forth a few times on the RR501. It may have become dirty with age.
The TM751 has NO Powerline receiver in it. So the CM11A can not control it with powerline signals.
The KC674 will be able to control a TM751 as it sends RF commands and the unit is hard wired to unit 1.
The X10Pro PAT01 is their model number for the RR501.

Quick Goggle Search found these and others. I believe some of the EBay X10 dealers may still have them.
http://www.thex10shop.com/product/0/X10-X-10-RR501-2-way-Home-Automation-Transceiver-Module_710304.html
http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/rr501.html

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:29:40 AM »

MY Bad thank You Brian!  :o
I missed the fact that the cm11 used powerline and not RF.
M M ElectricMan

lflorack

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • LinkedIn - Lee Florack
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »

I have a TM751 and and an RR501 (bought Feb 9th from eBay seller).  I only really need one of them to be operational for RF with my CM15A and my IR543 for IR.  I am trying to compile a list of features and advantages/disadvantages from what I've read here:

TM751 vs RR501
  • The TM751 Isn't RF 'polite' and can override other RF signals instead of waiting for an opening to transmit.  (Prior to installing my XTB-IIR and moving my CM15A out to the garage, I noticed this.  However, this no longer seems to be an issue.)
  • The RR501 is more RF-sensitive.  (I have not noticed this in my environment.)
  • The RR501 has a switch to control it's appliance plug address (1 or 9).  The TM751 has can only use address 1.  (I don't use the appliance plug.)
  • The TM751 has NO Powerline receiver. It cannot be controlled via powerline signals.  The RR501 does have a powerline receiver.  (I currently only use it as an RF transceiver so, at least for now, it doesn't matter much.)

Did I forget anything?

TIA

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:35:23 PM »

Good summary. But your first bullet is a little off, and can be combined with your fourth bullet since they are related.

The TM751 is not polite, because it does not contain a PLC receiver. As soon as it receives a RF command from a remote (none of the X10 RF transmitters are polite) it will instantly tranceive the command to PLC with no regard as to whether there might be PLC codes already taking place on the homes powerlines. Having no PLC receiving circuitry also means it's appliance control function can not be controlled by an X10 PLC signals, only RF.

Hope that is helpful
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:53:15 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

lflorack

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • LinkedIn - Lee Florack
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »

Good summary. But your first bullet is a little off, and can be combined with your fourth bullet since they are related.

The TM751 is not polite, because it does not contain a PLC receiver. As soon as it receives a RF command from a remote (none of the X10 RF transmitters are polite) it will instantly tranceive the command to PLC with no regard as to whether there might be PLC codes already taking place on the homes powerlines. Having no PLC receiving circuitry also means it's appliance control function can not be controlled by an X10 PLC signals, only RF.

Hope that is helpful

It's very helpful.  I now understand why the TM751 isn't polite.  I was mistaken about why it's not.  Thanks!  I think I'll leave the RR501 in place and use the TM751 as a backup (since I already have it).  I could also use it in the future if/when I use another house code.

bigjohn9944

• Helpful Post Rating: 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.