Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Signal Interference  (Read 4395 times)

MicroGell

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Signal Interference
« on: February 22, 2010, 11:38:21 AM »

For the last seven years I have used an X10 Powerhouse wireless transmitter and receiver in my office waiting room.  There are six offices, and each office has either an Appliance Module (model AM466), or a Lamp Module (model LM465) to turn on a light in that office. 

I have one office in which the Modules have never worked.  I have another office which has never had a problem until about a month ago.  Now most of the outlets don't receive a signal in that office. There is one outlet which still does work.  I have tried switching the Modules around, but that doesn't make a difference.  Each office outlet either always receives a signal, or never receives a signal.

I assume something is causing interference.  How do I test for this?  How do I correct for this problem?

Thank you for your help.

MicroGell

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X10 Signal Interference
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:07:32 PM »

Try this.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=7951.0

It is probably an electrical noise issue, and switching power supplies are the typical offenders. I identify switching supplies by their light weight compared to their size. A great example is charger for your cell phone.  What new gizmos that use "brick" or "wall-wart" power supplies are in the offices? In the office that once worked unplug everything but the X10 light, does it work now? If so you know you unplugged the offender so is a matter of elimination to find it.

As far as the office that never worked...may be a phase coupling issue and a good repeater will usually fix that. You will need to determine if power to your building/offices is two, or three phase and install the repeater in the electrical panel feeding those offices. If a small office complex, the power is probably standard two phase or "split" phase.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:57:09 AM »

Just to note, you shouldn't have interference from a transformer type wall wort power supply (the heavier cube looking ones).  The big ones to watch out for are the ones like dave w mentioned that are lighter and usually thinner than their boxier counterparts.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

MicroGell

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »

Thank you both for your input.  I appreciate the help.

MicroGell

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.