Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about wireless to wired cameras  (Read 7843 times)

cjs41

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Question about wireless to wired cameras
« on: February 23, 2010, 11:29:48 AM »

Hi,
I have been reading this forum trying to figure out how to turn my wireless camera into a wired one. A few days ago it just stopped working and I brought it inside closer to the receiver but could not get any picture except for black and white bars for about a second and then blue screen.  It worked great for years.  Technical support says that
it is my receiver and it may be.  So I decided to check out how  difficult it would be  to convert it over to wired and  bypass the receiver.  I have a  few things that I don't understand in the directions given here.  My camera is B/W and it is the only one I have.  I took the back off and see the five wires to the camera.  My first question is if the red one is the power source and the black the ground and I will need to use  the original power source with the motion detector and transformer, do I connect the  red and  black to the  phone line the same as the yellow and white. I do not have audio, so do I  connect that wire too? And then at the other end of my phone  cable, I need how many RCA plugs since the receiver only took the yellow plug originally?  The wall plug that was shown with the phone connection and the lower Co-ax connection, do you wire the end of your cable from thecamera into the back of it?  I was not sure how this should be  set up to convert to a RCA connector.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
CeeJay

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Question about wireless to wired cameras
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=13139.0

You can run power down phone wire if you want, but you don't have to. You could leave the power supply connected as it was and run only video back by either coax or telephone line. You would connect to the Video line and the Ground line in the camera in that instance. Disconnect the video line from the transmitter so it will not load down the video going down the wire.

Side bar: Technical Support diagnosed you having a bad receiver when you only have one camera....h-m-m-m-m.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:08:09 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:30:24 PM »

Make sure the telephone lines are disconnected from the NID as there is normally 48volts on the line even if you dont have telephone service...also the phone company could randomly send 200volts down the line...or lightening could strike..etc...so make sure you remove the phone lines from the NID posts.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:12:23 PM »

Oops! I did not mean to imply using telephone wiring in home. I meant cjs41 could use 4-conductor telephone cable if he wanted, although if cjs41 decides to only wire video and not power I would coax, which should have lower loss. Thanks pomprocker! PS Is that "Robby" as your avatar?? oooooh, soo cool!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:14:43 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

cjs41

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »

Thanks guys for the information.  Let me tell you what I think you are saying and see if it is right.  I leave the red power wire as it is and use the old power source.  I cut the yellow video and the black ground wires and together I connect them straight to a coax line and then to the tv video.  Do I leave the other color wires still connected to the transmitter and antenna or do I have to cut them away?  Also, technical support says there is no way to tell if the camera is on or if the problem is with the receiver.  But by by passing it, the camera should work and if it doesn't, then it is probably the receiver???
Thanks for your help.
CJ

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:53:53 AM »

Splice the video ground to the ground in the camera. If you cut it and only splice it to the video cable. The power supply return will not be on the cameras electronics.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.