Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: X-10 wide usage  (Read 16605 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: X-10 wide usage
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 02:25:37 PM »

I want to be able to stand up, pull up my pants and say "FLUSH". 
All I need yet is a solenoid with a 3" throw for the tank handle. Being an understudy of the "Red Green Show" I'm using X10,duct tape, and maybe a little super glue.   

I am also a big fan of Red Green. I am thinking maybe... digging around in back yard... You might be able to find an old windshield wiper motor to throw the flush handle, powered (or course) by a car battery. Or maybe... just build the Red Green robot

If the women don't find you hansom.... they should at least find you handy.

We're all in this together
Home Automation is an always changing technology

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »

OK, now I've seen it all!!! 

An X10 Controlled Hammer!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMq_3QJ_C34   -:)

I guess I wasn't that far off after all!!   B:(
>!

Boiler

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »

All I need yet is a solenoid with a 3" throw for the tank handle. Being an understudy of the "Red Green Show" I'm using X10,duct tape, and maybe a little super glue.   

I am also a big fan of Red Green. I am thinking maybe... digging around in back yard... You might be able to find an old windshield wiper motor to throw the flush handle, powered (or course) by a car battery. Or maybe... just build the Red Green robot

If the women don't find you hansom.... they should at least find you handy.

We're all in this together

Pneumatically controlled linear actuator (nitrogen of course).  We used them throughout the 70's in Jet fuel cells to activate everything from switches to door latches.   We claimed they were used because of the explosive atmosphere - I'd attribute them to the Rube Goldberg part of us that was struggling for release.

I'm personally of the opinion that Red "borrowed" a lot of his ideas from our test cells.  No offense Red - I loved the show.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »

I am thinking maybe... digging around in back yard... You might be able to find an old windshield wiper motor to throw the flush handle,

Excellent idea!! But I keep all my "small" stuff in the front yard between the couch and the Ford Fairmont. 

Actually Boiler gave me a great idea. Two X10 controlled aquarium air pumps on a dual port "Bimba" air cynlinder might do it. Since Bimba's are a bit sensitive to moisture I keep them in the Maytag in the side yard.   ;)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Boiler

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »

Excellent idea!! But I keep all my "small" stuff in the front yard between the couch and the Ford Fairmont. 

Actually Boiler gave me a great idea. Two X10 controlled aquarium air pumps on a dual port "Bimba" air cynlinder might do it. Since Bimba's are a bit sensitive to moisture I keep them in the Maytag in the side yard.   ;)

A Fairmont, Maytag, and a Bimba actuator???

Dave you've changed - gotten all uppity and such.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 08:28:26 PM »

3" throw isn't necessary, as you can tap the lever inside the tank to adjust the throw distance.

I actually kinda mocked this up some time ago, and was shot down by the wife.

Check your local FreeCycle and grab up an old dishwasher (mine was hotpoint) from the early 80's.  The drain solenoid has plenty of power to trip the arm when connected to some picture wire and a spring.

As, I'm to lazy to want to say the word "flush" maybe a pressure switch can be incorporated into the seat.

Remember, "If the ladies don't find you handsome, at least they can find you handy."

-Keep your stick on the ice.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

nybuck

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »

Wait........

You guys are serious about the self-flushing toilet? ???

When I was in high school, they had such a beast.  It wasn't X10 by any means, but a mechanical pressure sensor from the seat to the water pipe...  And come to think of it, every bar and airport I've been in for the past 5 years has had a battery-powered automatic sensor to flush it as well...  Why X10 or voice command??

I think you are all proving my original point!!
>!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 09:31:53 PM »

Wait........

...  Why X10 or voice command??

We love the challenge of outdoing each other's x10 projects.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 10:24:09 PM »

We love the challenge of outdoing each other's x10 projects.

I enjoy the challenge of the puzzle. Figuring it all out. Getting in touch with my inner MacGuyver. And then enjoying the automation afterwards.

It was a conversation like this (only in a chatroom) that lead me to create the [worlds first] automated chair. Which has lead me to pursue Occupancy Sensing... and most recently S.A.R.A.. I am not sure I am interested in automating my toilet... at this time.. but I am hooked on automation.

The X10 hammer... that was just humor.

nybuck

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 10:35:40 PM »

OK, Dave...   -:)

I looked at your video links, and read a little...  (At first, I didn't realize the hammer was yours...)

Conclusion:  You are obsessed with X10 and Home Automation.  ;D

You also have learned WAY MORE about HA than most could do in a lifetime.  My hat's off to your accomplishments.

#:)

>!

HA Dave

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 10:46:52 PM »

Conclusion:  You are obsessed with X10 and Home Automation. 
Yes. Yes I am.
You also have learned WAY MORE about HA than most could do in a lifetime.  My hat's off to your accomplishments.
Actually most of the regulars here at the forum know much more than myself about X10, electronics, programming... everything. I am an example of what the guy-off-the-street can do... if he only wants to.

When YouTube became popular.. X10 had a YouTube X10 Video contest. I made my first video and won a bunch of free X10 stuff. When I discovered BVC I put up a Fan Site Web Page.... and started spreading the word. More Videos followed.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:02:11 PM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 10:24:53 AM »

A Fairmont, Maytag, and a Bimba actuator???

Dave you've changed - gotten all uppity and such.

Yup I'm "movin on up to the good times".

I'm just taking Dr Cheung's heated toilet seat to the next logical level....... rofl

http://www.edcheung.com/automa/hotseat.htm

nybuck

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »

Yup I'm "movin on up to the good times".

I'm just taking Dr Cheung's heated toilet seat to the next logical level....... rofl

http://www.edcheung.com/automa/hotseat.htm

I don't know how the human race has survived this long without this.....   rofl
>!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »

3" throw isn't necessary, as you can tap the lever inside the tank to adjust the throw distance.

Knight, it's one of those "pressurized flush" johnnys. I call it my "Airport Toilet" because you push the level, and with a loud "ka-douche!!" everything is gone in 287 milliseconds. Wife won't let me X10 it because she is afraid of me getting fried on the toilet. Very hard to explain to the EMS guys without them laughing and blowing the ashes all over the bathroom. rofl
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:15:18 PM by dave w »

HA Dave

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »

......... Wife won't let me X10 it because she is afraid of me getting fried on the toilet. Very hard to explain to the EMS guys without them laughing and blowing the ashes all over the bathroom. rofl

I think automated toilets should operate on 220-240... just to be sure to avoid any embarrassment with the EMS guys. (Or maybe the windshield wiper motor and car battery doesn't sound so bad.) Maybe the automotive electric door lock solenoid and a hot wired emergency light.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:08:24 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.