Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: X-10 wide usage  (Read 16604 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: X-10 wide usage
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2010, 12:14:34 PM »

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Boiler

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 01:34:31 PM »

3" throw isn't necessary, as you can tap the lever inside the tank to adjust the throw distance.

Knight, it's one of those "pressurized flush" johnnys. I call it my "Airport Toilet" because you push the level, and with a loud "ka-douche!!" everything is gone in 287 milliseconds. Wife won't let me X10 it because she is afraid of me getting fried on the toilet. Very hard to explain to the EMS guys without them laughing and blowing the ashes all over the bathroom. rofl

OK, borrowing shamelessly from a number of posts -

1) Vacuum wiper motor from a 60 - 70's vintage Ford Bronco or  IH Scout.
2) Vacuum generated by the Fairmont in the side yard.
3) X10 to trip the starter solenoid on the sidewall (low voltage).

I think that gains you the electrical isolation you need (Wife's concerns) and gives you a power source in the event of outages (and uses X10 of course).

Crap - just remembered the Fairmonts were carburated.  We'll need to work on a fuel injection retrofit (details, details).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 05:43:16 PM »

Knight, it's one of those "pressurized flush" johnnys. I call it my "Airport Toilet" because you push the level, and with a loud "ka-douche!!" everything is gone in 287 milliseconds. Wife won't let me X10 it because she is afraid of me getting fried on the toilet. Very hard to explain to the EMS guys without them laughing and blowing the ashes all over the bathroom. rofl

OK, borrowing shamelessly from a number of posts -

1) Vacuum wiper motor from a 60 - 70's vintage Ford Bronco or  IH Scout.
2) Vacuum generated by the Fairmont in the side yard.
3) X10 to trip the starter solenoid on the sidewall (low voltage).

I think that gains you the electrical isolation you need (Wife's concerns) and gives you a power source in the event of outages (and uses X10 of course).

Crap - just remembered the Fairmonts were carburated.  We'll need to work on a fuel injection retrofit (details, details).
MY NEIGHBOR HAS A '68 SCOUT!!! It's propping up the roof of his front porch, but I can get the wiper motor. I'm on this!

Edit by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) - Fixed quote.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 05:56:55 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

rmakhoebe

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 01:26:08 PM »

Good evening everyone!!
The main reason for my question last time was because I was given an industrial project topic to design a LOW COST WIRELESS X-10. This has to be a B-tech level exercise that has to be built and run when doing a presantation. I am therefore trying to design something that is complicated enough yet not sophisticated technologically for a B-tech student exercise in our country (South Africa) where we use 220/240VAC. Up till now i am still confused on what to design so i am seeking any ideas that might help me achieve my goal,please bring forward your ideas as soon as possible... thanx again!   

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 01:34:12 PM »

Is there an echo in here?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 01:44:09 PM »

You know what Einstein said about doing the same thing twice and expecting different results....

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 01:59:46 PM »

You know what Einstein said about doing the same thing twice and expecting different results....

Yes Puck I do.

However " rmakhoebe" might be asking the same question multiple times because we ARE talking X10, which usually does provide different results when we do the same thing twice.  rofl

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 02:38:01 PM »

rmakhoebe

Based on your March 10 2010 post, you may not have a clear understanding of what the Control/Automation capabilities of X10 is.

In essence X10 can only turn things ON and OFF. You can use the X10 home automation software to turn things ON and OFF by time or by conditional logic via macros you construct. The macros can be triggered by time, by external events, by date, etc.

The X10 web site (http://www.x10.com) has a lot of examples of X10 control of lighting and appliances (for North America use) especially under the "ActiveHome Pro" and "Automation" tabs. The X10 equipment sold in North America is primarily for 120V 60Hz, so you may want to visit http://www.x10europe.com/ which sells 230 V 50Hz X10 product.

Use X10 to turn ON and OFF a few lightbulbs and a fan with the X10 home automation controller / software and be sure to call your project "Green".  I'm sure you get a high grade.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.