Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adding a 2nd camera install questions  (Read 12597 times)

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Adding a 2nd camera install questions
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:20:56 AM »

I have an existing XX20A wireless night camera that feeds a VR42A audio/video receiver to a TV.  It is triggered by an ActiveEye sensor.

It works fine and am happy with it.

I'm toying with the idea of adding one more camera to expand the line up and to add the online viewing capability.

If I were to do this, below is what I'm thinking I need to do.  Please let me know if I'm on point or off base.

INSTALLATION: 
Locations of cameras are on opposite sides of the house.

- Install 2nd wireless night camera next/near the PR511A floodlights.
- Set the 2nd camera to be triggered by PR511A via its plus code feature.
- Connect VR42A audio/video receiver video RCA output to VA12A USB video capture device.
- Connect VA12A USB interface to an available HA computer USB port.
>>  Note:  HA computer runs Windows XP SP2 with AHP V3.236 running without any problems including multiple timers.

- Install iHouse for video vs. Vanguard which normally comes with x10 deals.

OPERATION:
House/Unit codes below are not actual but for planning/simplicity purposes only.

- Camera 1 triggered by ActiveEye. H/U code = A1
- Camera 2 triggered by PR511A with H/U code = A2.  So, set Camera 2 H/U code = A3 (from PR511A A2+1 setting)\
- Video receiver 1 is tied to TV:  H/U = A4
- Video receiver 2 is tied to HA computer:  H/U = A4 (same as video receiver 1)
- Create Macro that sets A4 on when either A1 or A2 is triggered.  Turn receivers off when both cameras have received off commands.  If one is still on, keep the receivers on.

- On the TV, each camera can be viewed separately via a Scancam remote CR12A.
- On the PC, active camera(s) can be viewed via iHouse. I'm not familiar with iHouse yet, so I'm not sure how one can toggle between screens. There is a macro tip and also a 12 page thread on the iHouse website addressing this.  So, I guess I can read up on it.

CONCERN:
- Biggest challenge I see is reception.  I'm not sure how the reception at the PC and at the TV will be since they are on opposite ends of the house.  I'd have to orient the antenna faces on both cameras and both receivers to where a good stable signal is achieved at the PC and at the TV.

QUESTION:
- Is the installation I've laid out above sound and workable?

Thanks for your input.

R,
eagle

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:25:08 AM by eagle »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Adding a 2nd camera install questions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »

There are a couple of issues that you'll  need to  address.
  • Motion sensor + 1 unit code sends
  • iHouse. It doesn't play nice with AHP or some other SDK created software. :( (this may be fixed in later updates.) For now you may need to do a workaround install I posted on the iHouse forum for the On Alert plug-in.

Reception as you pointed out is going to be an issue you may need one or more antenna mods.
Of coarse wired cams would solve that issue! ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

eagle

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:05:09 PM »

Thanks Tuicemen.

Why is the +1 a problem?  It's not the same as the EagleEye +1 that activates the dusk/dawn feature.  It's with the PR511A where you can set it to 1 through 5.  I actually use that feature on my two PR511As and the feature works well to light lamps inside and outside the house as an visual indicator that motion was detected.   They are set to different + values to control different lights.  Is the + value a problem when used with cameras?

Regarding iHouse, I didn't realize it is not friendly with AHP.  :(

I looked at your thread at the iHouse website.  Sounds like you've had some "fun" troubleshooting and finding a workaround.

I'm a little leery of doing the workaround since I have a very stable installation and don't want to shake the boat if you will.

I actually have all the plug-ins but don't have them installed since I don't need them .... just yet.  The only one I'll use is the Smart Macros.   

Anyway, I might go with Blue Iris instead.  Any thoughts on its compatibility with AHP?

r,
eagle
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:10:51 PM by eagle »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:07:55 PM »

QUESTION:
- Is the installation I've laid out above sound and workable?

I run several cameras myself... I can't address any range (directional) issues you might have. But several X10 cameras are easy enough to do. You may want to check out adding a wired camera.. if you have concerns about the range of another wireless.

I also use the Floodlight(s) (PR511) to activate cameras.That part works great. I am really hooked on the X10 floodlights. I've always wanted to try the floodcam (at this price its worth the thought).

I have more than one XP computer. I have been able to get the VA12A (Hi-Res X10 Video Adapter) to operate on one of them. But NOT the one I currently use for Home Automation. The Vanguard software didn't work with (or in combination with) AHP on my setup... I think others have had that/those problem(s) as well.

I currently use a VA11A video adapter. But I am currently testing other video cards/adapters for my primary monitoring. I like computer recorded video and emailed images and I also use an old fashioned VCR for backup as well. I am currently considering other (newer) technologies like a security DVR for/as a primary video capture/monitoring device/method. I would then use the HA PC as the backup. I also view my cameras on my TV(s) as well... both on demand and automatically.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:17:20 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 01:01:43 PM »

Why is the +1 a problem?  It's not the same as the EagleEye +1 that activates the dusk/dawn feature.  It's with the PR511A where you can set it to 1 through 5.  I actually use that feature on my two PR511As and the feature works well to light lamps inside and outside the house as an visual indicator that motion was detected.   They are set to different + values to control different lights.  Is the + value a problem when used with cameras?
If the Camera address are the same address as the Active eye + 1 or even same housecode you will get unexpected results.
Also Cameras need to be grouped in four to enable the switching to work correctly.
sending a A1 signal for camera 1 will turn off cameras 2-4 sending a A2 signal will turn off  cameras 1 and 3-4
Using the PR511A isn't the same as you stated I have 2 of these in my setup as well.
I prefere them to the active eye as they send PLC so: no +1, or RF issues,  and they supply the needed extra light. ;)
  >!
 ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 01:56:28 PM »

.... If the Camera address are the same address as the Active eye + 1 or even same housecode you will get unexpected results....

I recently installed some cameras using the EYE sensors. Before I even put batteries in the sensors I opened them up and used electrical tape to cover (and hence deactivate) the dusk/dawn-light sensor.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »

And don't forget the ActiveEye Motion Detectors are the only ones that can be programmed to disable the Dusk/Dawn +1 feature.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 04:21:42 PM »

And don't forget the ActiveEye Motion Detectors are the only ones that can be programmed to disable the Dusk/Dawn +1 feature.

I don't know if the eagleEYE sensors are always cheaper than the ActiveEye ones. But I'd got a "deal" on several that put the price below $6 per item. So I had a few to work with.

eagle

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:16:03 PM »

If the Camera address are the same address as the Active eye + 1 or even same housecode you will get unexpected results.
Also Cameras need to be grouped in four to enable the switching to work correctly.
sending a A1 signal for camera 1 will turn off cameras 2-4 sending a A2 signal will turn off  cameras 1 and 3-4
Using the PR511A isn't the same as you stated I have 2 of these in my setup as well.
I prefere them to the active eye as they send PLC so: no +1, or RF issues,  and they supply the needed extra light. ;)
  >!
 ;)

Thanks Tuicemen.

I've known about the concept of grouping the cameras in fours from reading the posts here at the forum.  But I guess it didn't sink enough and rolled off the side of my brain since it didn't interest me at the time.  :)

Now that I'm thinking about adding an additional camera, I really need to pay more attention in conceptualizing how I need to setup.

So, I guess this is what I need to do.  I've changed the "house codes" to closely associate with the device type.

- Camera 1:  H/U = C1
- Camera 2:  H/U = C2
- PR511A:  H/U = P1 + 2
- Video Receivers 1 & 2:  House Code = C
- ActiveEye H/U = A1

Macro 1:  Triggered by ActiveEye (A1) and controls Camera 1 (C1)

Macro 2:  Triggered by PR511A (P3) and controls Camera 2 (C2)

Macro 3:  Triggered by A1 or P3 and controls the Video Receivers.  Keep receivers on if off commands from both triggers have not been received.

OPERATION:
- On TV, camera remote can toggle between the two cameras.
- On PC, I can look into using

a.  the iHouse with the workaround by Tuicemem, or
b.  iWatchout, or
c.  Blue Iris (not sure if it is AHP friendly or not though)

I think the only other issue is the signal strength and quality at each of the receivers as mentioned in my earlier post.

What do you guys think?  Do you think my proposed set up is configured correctly and will work?

Thanks,
eagle
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:18:15 PM by eagle »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 10:19:43 PM »

Looks better to me, but cross the workarround off your list.
It seems it was only a temp solution for me and doesn't work at all for others! :(
Ihouse stopped seeing my CM15A today  B:( , back to the drawing board! ;)

Update:
With iHouse developer TJ we were able to find why iHouse failed to see the CM15A connected!
I posted about it the iHouse thread
So now eagle you can do the workaround!
 >!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:03:10 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.