Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modules on 2nd Phase not Controllable, Even with Phase Coupler Installed  (Read 5292 times)

mrcarnevale

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I recently installed an older ActiveHome (not Pro) system and it works fine on the phase the controller is plugged into, but I haven't been able to control any modules on the other phase. I installed a Smarthome plug-in phase coupler at my 220V clothers dryer plug, but still no joy. I have a whole-house Square D QO Surge Breaker installed in my electrical panel which I suspect might be sucking up the signal, but I live in the lightning strike capital of North America and don't want to remove it.

Are there any filter solutions which might help?

Alternatively, if I bought a new ActiveHome Pro controller w/ software to run everything on the primary phase, could I run the two modules on the other phase with the old ActiveHome controller since the phases appear to be decoupled in the X10 frequency band? Can the two softwares co-exist on the same computer?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

Alternatively, if I bought a new ActiveHome Pro controller w/ software to run everything on the primary phase, could I run the two modules on the other phase with the old ActiveHome controller since the phases appear to be decoupled in the X10 frequency band? Can the two softwares co-exist on the same computer?

I think it would be simpler to dump the passive coupler and get a high output repeater.

If you move the Active Home controller over to the other phase, can you then control modules on that phase? If so, a high out repeater (XTBIIR or ACT 234, with XTBIIR being first choice) will likely fix the problem.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:01:22 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21

I second the motion on the XTB-IIR.  I have the passive coupler and it doesn't do squat.  So I splurged for the XTB-iiR and couldn't be happier!    :)%
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

Passive couplers sometimes are not enough to get a good signal on the second phase.
If your dryer outlet is not real close to the distribution panel. There are even added losses in the wire to the outlet.
Jeff Volp had a good tutorial on passive couplers and other things that effect X10 signals as did Uncle Phil at ACT Systems.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-solutions.com/PCC/uncle.htm

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

I second the motion on the XTB-IIR.  I have the passive coupler and it doesn't do squat.  So I splurged for the XTB-iiR and couldn't be happier!    :)%

I'll "third" the motion on the XTB-IIR.  I've got a +4,000 sqft home on three levels and began my X10 obsession with similar experience to yours: control on one phase, but not on the other.  I tried a Smarthome passive dryer coupler plugged in on the third floor laundry room with little positive effect.  I then tried the Smarthome active repeater and had a little improvement, but not enough to make me happy.  I also tried the XPCR wired-in at the service panel and felt that this didn't do anything at all.

I finally invested in the XTB-IIR.  I wired it in at the service panel and relocated my CM15A controler along with the computer server next to the service panel.  I did the antenna mod on the CM15A and ran the antenna cable up to a mid-point location in the house.  At that point I was getting about a 95% reliable signal response!

After investing a little more time, energy, and the purchase of 1/2 dozen filters, I'm now enjoying 100% effective response througout the house. 

The moral of the story: do it right the first time and save yourself a lot of time, frustration, and wasted $$!

mrcarnevale

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Thanks for all the helpful posts, everybody! At least SmartHome is taking the worthless phase coupler back and I'm only out the shipping charges. I'm 99% sold on the XTB-IIR, but it may be a bit of overkill for my 1600 sq ft single-story home. Does anyone have experience with the Leviton HCA02-10E, which if the ads are to be believed does essentially the same thing for about half the price?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

The HCA02-10E has been reproted to get into signal firestorms in some installations; with the CM15A AHP Interface and the Smarthome Dryer Outlet repeaters.

I have used an ACT CR234 with no problems, but the XTB-IIR blasts a much stronger signal back on the power line and in my mixed X10-Insteon system. It knows Insteon enough to not false a bogus X10 response.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21

I have a 1800 sf home and use the XTB-IIR.  You'll be happier going with the XTB-IIR, it's a very well made unit.  Professionally done.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.

I have a 2500 sq/ft home and the signalinc couldnt even handle it. I got the xtb-iir and never looked back.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.