Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 64-bit SDK wanted  (Read 23974 times)

jaraco

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
64-bit SDK wanted
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:32:26 PM »

I've found that the ahscript.dll cannot be loaded from a 64-bit process. Thus the X10.ActiveHome object cannot be created in a 64-bit process.

For a very simple example, I've created sendrf.vbs, which simply attempts to send the On RF Message to A1.

Code: [Select]
set ob = CreateObject("X10.ActiveHome")
ob.SendAction "sendrf", "a1 on"
WScript.Echo "Done"

If I attempt to run this using 64-bit cscript, it fails:

PS E:\> cscript //Nologo sendrf.vbs
E:\sendrf.vbs(1, 1) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: ActiveX component can't create object: 'X10.ActiveHome'

However, if I use the 32-bit cscript, it executes as expected.

PS E:\> c:\windows\syswow64\cscript //Nologo sendrf.vbs
Done

It would be nice if there was a 64-bit version of ahscript.dll that worked with 64-bit host processes.

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: 64-bit SDK wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 06:42:01 PM »

So it's been eons since I've coded winders, but moons ago, you could "thunk" a 16-bit call from a 32bit DLL by wrapping it with some special calls.

If you can code a DLL - why not see if a 64/32 bit thunk call setup exists by searching MSDN?  If so - write a 64bit DLL that wraps all the 32bit calls?

Wouldn't that work?

jaraco

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:14:19 PM »

I don't even know where I would start with that approach. I don't understand the layers very well. There appears to be COM interfaces defined in x10net.dll and a higher-level scripting object in ahscript.dll.

I don't know what it means that the ahscript.dll fails to register with the 64-bit version of regsvr32.

Even if I could thunk into ahscript.dll, I'm not sure that provides me with the COM interfaces I desire.

I clearly would have to put a lot of effort into learning the underlying architecture to be able to accomplish this myself. And given that the X10 SDK and drivers appear to be largely opaque, closed-source, and not documented (as far as I have been able to ascertain), it would take some in-depth knowledge to accomplish what you are suggesting, even if it is possible. Unfortunately, I can't even consider that kind of investment right now.

jaraco

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:07:46 AM »

If I could get the source for ahscript.dll, I might be able to recompile it for 64-bit (or at least find out where from there the limitation lies). Is the source for ahscript.dll available?

RichardUK

• Whzan
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 06:38:12 PM »

Hi guys, anyone know if there is any movement on making a 64bit compatible version avalible? I'm using c# and .NET 3.5 and so would hate to have to restrict it to 32bit.
Richard e Colins.
www.whzan.com

jaraco

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 04:51:33 PM »

I would still like to see a 64-bit build of ahscript.dll. Any chance we can get a 64-bit build? I'll even donate a 64-bit Windows VM with Visual Studio 2008 or 2010 for the purposes of building it. I'm happy to build it myself, but I just don't have the source. Please help us out here.

ErikP

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »

64bit is on the "someday" list of software projects.

Unfortunately the entire ActiveHome command pipeline is 32bit, so this is a much larger change than simply rebuilding the ahscript.dll in 64bit mode, and fixing a few compiler errors.  Everything from the ground up would need to be rewritten in 64bit friendly code.

That being said, it is something we want to do and are moving in that direction.

crittelmeyer

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »

Not to be a nuisance, but I wanted to inquire about the status of this. I'd very much like to use the SDK but I can't do it without 64-bit compatibility. Even a general estimate would be great. Like, sometime in 2012 this will be done? Or later? If it's coming in the next year, I will seriously just wait. I've already got code that I've tested and know WOULD work with the SDK, so I hope I can use it someday... soonish. Thanks!

Chris

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 05:41:42 PM »

Chris, check the "future of X10" thread. I doubt you will see the type of support you are asking about, coming from X10. Just my $0.02.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

ccsginc

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 06:26:45 PM »

There is a way around this. At least I believe it should work in this case.

View the information on this tread: http://www.opensourceautomation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=307

Also, Dave is sort of correct, however X-10 is still producing. They are just undergoing a design change that might bring them to the new 64-world.

However, I do know that the alarm consoles are currently being totally re-designed and should be released in early Jan 2012. The CM15A are also undergoing a change and could come back as the same or as a new CM21A or who knows.... The CM19A is still under production, however there are plenty out there to be found.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 09:22:20 PM »

However, I do know that the alarm consoles are currently being totally re-designed and should be released in early Jan 2012. The CM15A are also undergoing a change and could come back as the same or as a new CM21A or who knows
Do you have any proof of this?
I think we'd all like to see some sort of data to back up this claim.

ccsginc

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 03:29:16 PM »

Well, you make a good argument there Noam.

I do not have any written proof of this.

I am just basically going by what my sales contact is telling me. (As they currently owe me 3 CM15A that they claim are on back order.)

The 1st order, they sent me a CM19A and a TM751 to replace the CM15A, however I told them that was not acceptable, as this will require the computer to stay running and I need the CM15A's to satisfy my customers.

Maybe they are feeding me a pile of sh#%, I don't know. I was told to give them to the end of Jan, and I should get both my Newly designed alarm console, and the 3 CM15A's.

Already working on plan "B" though. Looks like Z-Wave is comparable, and a whole lot more flexible. Their support also actually gives you answers!!!!
So if no resolution by Jan 31st and what you say is true, I will no longer offer this to our customers.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »

Well, I've seen reports of the new alarm consols, but don't know if there's any difference.  I post this in early February, and wonder if the new CM15A's are out yet.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »

I have not seen any reports of the now back in stock X10 SC1200 Security Console being any different than the ones before going out of stock.

Maybe they are referring to the SkyLink Security Systems they are also selling now.
http://www.x10.com/skylink/index.html?HP2
SkyLink and X10 Security modules are not interchangeable between systems.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:49:47 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.