Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moving to Windows 7  (Read 6790 times)

pwstegeman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Moving to Windows 7
« on: March 18, 2010, 12:25:17 PM »

I have had Active Home for longer than I can remember and I am migrating to a new computer with Win 7.  I can't find my original order # and need to re-download the software so it can be installed on my new PC.  I depend on it to keep the house safe.  How can I get a new copy??

Thanks

Steg

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Moving to Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:58:22 PM »

ActiveHome or ActiveHome Pro?
Do you still have the old PC with the software installed?
A simple backup would have saved you this hassel! ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

pwstegeman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »

I did a backup (I started in IT as a programmer in 1972).  However, when migrating to Win 7 the registry entries are not carried over.  It is a clean install requiring new installs of all software

pwstegeman

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 04:24:40 PM »

Oh yeah Active Home Pro.  If I can't get a download I guess I'll switch to Smart Home for automation.  All I need to do is re-register.  I have long ago lost the registration code when I had a hard drive fail.  Since I get so many X10 emails my cleanup deleted all prior X10 emails.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:59:58 PM by pwstegeman »

pwstegeman

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:08:11 PM »

Never mind the prior messages.  I wrote a quick program that retrieved :angel: the registration code from my hard drive that had failed

javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 05:40:27 PM »

BTW, you can get every issue of AHP and quite a bit of Active Home software. Check out http://software.x10.com/pub/applications/activehome/  it's all there for the download.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »

Never mind the prior messages.  I wrote a quick program that retrieved :angel: the registration code from my hard drive that had failed

javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);
Good to Know!
Others may benifit from this program if you wish to share it! ;)
You may also wish to copy your AHP setup files,new program and registration code  to a CD.
Dan Lawrence Most of the files there are update files only and lack some key dlls for a fresh install. ;)
If I remember though there was one (179) I think that was a full install.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:55:05 PM »

I just checked the entire Depository and only AHP version 3.175 is 119KB, everything else is 114KB.  All are "packed" so the very first one may be the start, it's very hard to tell.  The one I grabbed (and keep) is AHP_update 3.204.  That will unpack and install itself over later (3.236) version.  Version 3.228, the known good version can only be gotten after installing 3.304.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:56:46 PM by Dan Lawrence »

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 10:33:42 AM »

I don't see the plugins there...  Are they?
>!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 10:44:22 AM »

I don't believe the plugins are there as not all AHP deals included them.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »

I just checked the entire Depository and only AHP version 3.175 is 119KB, everything else is 114KB.  All are "packed" so the very first one may be the start, it's very hard to tell.  The one I grabbed (and keep) is AHP_update 3.204.  That will unpack and install itself over later (3.236) version.  Version 3.228, the known good version can only be gotten after installing 3.304.

Dan -
I wonder if the ahp_updt.exe (without the version number) is the 3.228 update (instead of installing 3.204 and having to upgrade).
As I recall, that's the name they use for the most current automatic update, and since they aren't automatically updating to 3.236, then 3.228 is the most recent "automatic" upgrade version.
If you want to test it, you can then modify your "3.236 is unstable, here's how to go back" instructions.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »

Dan -
I wonder if the ahp_updt.exe (without the version number) is the 3.228 update (instead of installing 3.204 and having to upgrade).
As I recall, that's the name they use for the most current automatic update, and since they aren't automatically updating to 3.236, then 3.228 is the most recent "automatic" upgrade version.
If you want to test it, you can then modify your "3.236 is unstable, here's how to go back" instructions.

The one labeled  ahp_updt.exe is version 3.204 without the version number, also listed in the Repository by its version number. Very strange, but that's X10USA for you.  Tried it and it took my 2.228 and overrode it, so I re-updated it to 3.228.

rickkel

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 11:48:38 PM »

I don't know if any of you are having problems installing Active Home Pro on your Windows 7 machine, but I am.  When I download the program and try to install it I get the following message:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running.  Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I followed Microsoft's instructions about right clicking on the installation download file and using the "Troubleshoot Compatability" wizard, but that failed to install the program either.  I'm running the 64 bit version of Windows 7.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Thanks.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.