Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another new guy question.  (Read 4102 times)

diamondrichb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Another new guy question.
« on: March 19, 2010, 03:53:20 PM »

Ok, I've worked with lighting systems, but mostly Vantage Lighting both wired modules and RF. I've had X-10 lamp modules, but it's been a 100 years ago and I've forgotten everything I ever knew, which wasn't much. I've looked around many x10 websites and can't find information basic enough for what I need. Can I get some help please?

Here's what I've got: One fluorescent ceiling light with a switch which is going to be hidden by a piece of furniture.  I've also got a Universal Remote with RF transmission capabilities.

I want to turn that light on and off with an x-10 module and the Universal Remote RF remote. If I can't use the Universal Remote I'll be disappointed, but can adjust.  :)

Can I do it? And if so, what is the minimum component(s) I need.

Aloha

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Another new guy question.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »

At the minimum, you need a neutral wire at the location of the switch, a switch that will handle fluorescent lights (xps3 come to mind), a transceiver to translate the x10 RF to power line signals (either rr501, tm751, the CM15A, or a ds7000 security unit) and a universal remote that sends x10 RF (ICON comes to mind).

Newer electronic ballasts tend to jumble the powerline signal, so a filter might also be needed.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

diamondrichb

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:48:04 PM »

Thank you.

I saw the neutral in the junction box. I'll research the other stock numbers. The Universal Remote database shows x10, but I don't see how it can work without knowing what the switches, etc are set at. Like 1A or whatever. In lieu of a remote, can one of the little tabletop units work?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:01:50 PM »

The table top unit would simplify things, just remember that the newer ballasts can make noise and may need to be filtered.

Just don't want you to be disappointed when the advice here fails you.

Keep in mind that all x10 limitations can be overcome, sometimes it just takes a little work.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

diamondrichb

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »

Thanks for your concern. I'm relatively experienced in working through a problem having built a couple spec houses and done condo remodeling for fun. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. It's great having people like those on the forum willing to give their time and knowledge to those of us less versed.

Just to be clear, the table top units send RF, right? So, a table top unit or RF remote sends the RF to say an rr501, which in turn sends the on/off signal thru the wiring to the XPS3. And assuming the ballast doesn't need a filter the light turns on and off via remote command. And I don't have to worry about what's in front of the XPS3 because the signal is actually coming thru the electrical wiring. Cool.

Do I have it correct?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 08:38:57 PM »

The mini controller and the maxi controller (table top units) send PLC directly and do not need the tm751/rr501/etc.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

diamondrichb

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:01:10 PM »

Ooohh. Glad I asked. Thanks.

So, I only need the XPS3 and 4030A plug in controller. I assume this controller, because it plugs in, sends the commands I need. It's only if I want to sent an RF signal that I would need the rr501.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 09:13:42 PM »

Now you've got it!  Aren't you glad you asked the tough questions before jumping in?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

diamondrichb

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 09:31:11 PM »

Yes, I am. I know when I'm in over my head. Thanks again.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 06:17:36 AM »

You may also have to think about phase coupling. If the table top controller is on one phase and the light switches on the other phase.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »

*Doh*

Glad to see that Brian H has my back when I'm issuing advice.  I've once again forgotten one of the fundamental limitations.

Listen to that BLH, as he is a master of HA.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.