Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which product is right for me?  (Read 12168 times)

julze1986

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Which product is right for me?
« on: March 19, 2010, 05:07:12 PM »

I guess I'm just confused about what the difference is between the Wireless Video Sender and the Wireless Video Sender L2 is.  I know that the regular sender does not send from computers without special adapters (I do not have RCA output on my computer), and I know that the L2 has a USB cable so you can send it from computers.  If the L2 has more positives, I guess I'm just curious as to why the regular is $49 but the L2 (which seems to be better) is only $29 dollars.  The website is unclear and leads me to believe I can use the L2 as a transmitter for my cable box as well.  Is this true?  Or is this just an expansion pack and in order to transmit from both cable and computer you need both products?

I want to be able to transmit from both my cable box AND my computer (but not both at the same time, I'm fine with switching the hookups).  I want to do this without having too much to deal with, and preferably under the $80 that it would cost me to get both products. Or does anyone know of a different product where I can do both without an abundance of gadgets.

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Re: Which product is right for me?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:49:16 PM »

Julze -
I have bought the Video Sender Platinum and love it.  What I believe to be the difference is:
The Video Sender Platinum has a remote "repeater" built-in.  That means that you use your TV remote in the second room to change the cable box in the first room.  A nice feature.  I find it very handy.
The L2 sender has the USB plug, which, although I never used it, I believe you use with a Mouse Remote.  The USB plug hooks to the computer, and the remote moves the mouse on the screen.

I have been a big proponent of the Big Picture Kit, which was available for $19.99.  It has a mouse remote (9-pin serial) and VGA connector adapter in the kit.  I have previously posted links to the offer for it.  That will work with your TV, but will not extend your remote to the second room.  It will have a mouse remote if you have a 9-pin serial port on your PC.

I suggest doing what I did - Get the TV Video Sender with universal remote and remote extender http://www.x10.com/promotions/wireless_video_sender_vk82a.html (generally $49.99),
AND the Big Picture Kit, part of the TV Lover deal here - http://www.x10.com/promotions/x10_mystery_fun_bags_2.html#tv

Click "Whats Included" in your cart to make sure you have the right stuff!   ;D
>!

mr.foutch

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 01:58:30 PM »

:'Please see my PC to TV on a budget post. By the way, I understand the FCC is actually PROMOTING using a computer to watch content on one's TV. I guess maybe they will be in a better position to control content, what with the final transmission being actual broadcast.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 05:51:32 PM »

I understand the FCC is actually PROMOTING using a computer to watch content on one's TV. I guess maybe they will be in a better position to control content, what with the final transmission being actual broadcast.
Nah.

The FCC is no longer interested in content. The "V" chip, which no one know how to program, absolved the FCC of content issues. They could give a rip.

What they (the government) ARE interested in is selling/leasing RF spectrum for huge bucks. With everyone on dish, cable, or broadband, they will have an enormous amounts of spectrumfreed up, which they can sell to cellular, WiFi, and emerging technology providers. They think they own the airwaves rather than regulating their use.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.