Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newsletter?  (Read 7437 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Newsletter?
« on: March 22, 2010, 09:57:47 PM »

I haven't been getting my daily newsletters delivered to my mailbox for 2 weeks, and I updated it on the website to make sure but I'm still not getting them. What's up?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Newsletter?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 10:10:52 PM »

I haven't been getting my daily newsletters delivered to my mailbox for 2 weeks, and I updated it on the website to make sure but I'm still not getting them. What's up?

I get mine! Make sure yours aren't being blocked as spam. Sometimes doing a (fake) return email... and adding the address in your mail will help.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

birdzeye

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »

I get mine! Make sure yours aren't being blocked as spam. Sometimes doing a (fake) return email... and adding the address in your mail will help.

I don't get it Davex10, how do I do this fake thing you describe above?

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:37:36 PM »

Generally... you would click reply... then with X10's email address in the address box. Use that address to add it to you addresses. Make sure it isn't being blocked of seen as spam or trash.

birdzeye

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:48:18 PM »

Quote from: Dave_x10_L link=topic=20024.msg112641javascript:void(0); ;D#msg112641 date=1269311856

Generally... you would click reply... then with X10's email address in the address box. Use that address to add it to you addresses. Make sure it isn't being blocked of seen as spam or trash.

K thanks. ;D

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:11:07 AM »

I got the opposite happining.
I had the Newsetter turned off and about a month ago it started again.
X10 sent me an email saying because I entered an X10 contests it was turned on and if it was a mistake they would turn it back off.
Well I never entered any X10 contest and again requested it be turned off.
If I want something from X10 I can go to their sales site and look at today's Newsletter.

I am getting the feeling that the economy is also effecting X10s sales. Smarthome is also getting real pusshy lately.

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 09:26:28 AM »

It's probably part of the X10 Stimulus Package.   ;D

I think I have the solution! 
Brian, forward the newsletters to Birdzeye!  Maybe you can set up a wireless camera on your computer screen, and when it senses motion, it can take a snapshot and flag a macro to email it to Birdzeye automatically....

Uh oh, I've been spending too much time on the forum.....   rofl
>!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:07:19 AM »

I got the opposite happining.
I had the Newsetter turned off and about a month ago it started again.
X10 sent me an email saying because I entered an X10 contests it was turned on and if it was a mistake they would turn it back off.
Well I never entered any X10 contest and again requested it be turned off.
If I want something from X10 I can go to their sales site and look at today's Newsletter.

I am getting the feeling that the economy is also effecting X10s sales. Smarthome is also getting real pusshy lately.

I had something similar happen.  About 10 or 12 years ago I signed up for their newsletter but not too long afterward I unsubscribed.  A couple of years later I tried to resubscribe but never got anything, so I subscribed under an alternate email address.  That worked.

About the same time as you mention I received the email about having entered a contest (which I may or may not have done over the last decade), and started getting a second copy of the newsletter on the original email address.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 10:42:57 AM »

...... I am getting the feeling that the economy is also effecting X10s sales.

Not everyone... nor every industry... is being effected by the current economy. But I think, or would guess that X10 tracks well with consumer retail spending. Retail sales have been mostly trending down or flat since September 2008. But we have seen a rise from the lowest points. I have to agree with the administration... when they called the recession over in January. We are no longer experiencing what is traditionally called a recession.

If you would have told me three years ago the GM was going to file bankruptcy.... I would have agree that they were going to at least need to sell off a part of their holdings to survive. If you would have told me that GM was going to fail... and be picked up by the government... I would have explained why that could not be done under the American legal system.

If you would have told me two years ago that GM, All major American banks, all student loans, 80 percent of home mortgages, The healthcare industry, and the insurance industry were all going to be absorbed into the federal management... I would have thought the comment too silly to concider.

Businesses that do need funds to stay afloat... can have trouble finding them. The feds lend money to [now] fed controlled banks for nearly nothing. Then immediately borrow it back at several times what it was lent at. So banks appear to make money... although it is merely tax money.... redistributed. I am not sure anymore if the question is: Is X10 making money... or is it: Will the feds take over X10?

Although new... our current economic condition is not unfamiliar. We Americans experienced a similar Malaise less than forty years ago. Then.... a young inventor convinced all (except one) computer manufactures to use his single unifying product. That propelled computers into a new direction and that in turn increased productivity as well as creating a new [American lead] industry.

It was the MicroSoft revolution... like it or not.. that ended our country's last Malaise. It will take something as big... or BIGGER to end this one. Those that think we can force the turnaround with decades old labor intensive solar and wind technologies... are beating a dead horse (as the saying goes). We need something big, and new.

Yeah... I agree the economy is proability effecting X10s sales
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:47:36 PM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:54:04 AM »

If you would have told me two years ago that GM, All major American banks, all student loans, 80 percent of home mortgages, The healthcare industry, and the insurance industry were all going to be absorbed into the federal management... I would have thought the comment too silly concider.

I am not sure anymore if the question is: Is X10 making money... or is it: Will the feds take over X10?

It will take something as big... or BIGGER to end this one. Those that think we can force the turnaround with decades old labor intensive solar and wind technologies... are beating a dead horse (as the saying goes). We need something big, and new.

Maybe big, but not necessarily "new". Obviously this administration has no interest in becoming energy independant, but "dril, drill, drill!" and  "nuke, nuke, nuke!" should be added to the tea party chant for November.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 12:44:34 PM »

.......... "drill, drill, drill!" and "nuke, nuke, nuke!" should be added to the tea party chant for November.

Cheap energy can't hurt! But a little more in a few years... is too little too late. But I do believe that there is wisdom in truisms and therefore necessity is [actually] the mother of invention.

I read recently about an experiment underway now... that will direct 192 low-powered lasers onto a single hydrogen molecule. If it is successful we might be able to create the power of the sun... right here on earth. That is the type of change that would rank up there with the computer revolution, the mass-producted automobile, the electric light, the telegraph, the steam engine, the discovery of the new world, the printing press.... and all those other man-driven creations that have inspired hope and lifted economies in the past.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:55:16 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 01:24:04 PM »

A few thoughts on this thread;

Although new... our current economic condition is not unfamiliar. We Americans experienced a similar Malaise less than forty years ago. Then.... a young inventor convinced all (except one) computer manufactures to use his single unifying product. That propelled computers into a new direction and that in turn increased productivity as well as creating a new [American lead] industry.

It was the MicroSoft revolution... like it or not.. that ended our country's last Malaise. It will take something as big... or BIGGER to end this one. Those that think we can force the turnaround with decades old labor intensive solar and wind technologies... are beating a dead horse (as the saying goes). We need something big, and new.

When I was a sales rep at a ComputerLand store in the early 80's, Apple was the dominant player.  IBM was developing their hardware and wanted to buy or license an operating system.  The story at that time was that IBM first approached Digital Research and wanted to use their OS's, CP/M and MP/M.  They, IBM and DR, could not come to terms, so IBM then approached Microsoft to use what they called PCDOS.  We in the retail computer sales field considered DR's OS's to be more robust that PCDOS.  It was later renamed MSDOS.

Next,
The concept of entering a contest and the ensuing followup, newsletters and/or phone calls is an old marketing trick/technique.  Soon after the No-Contact-List policy was announced, I signed up to have no contact from any telemarketer/direct marketer.  Ah, the loopholes...  If a person contacts a marketing company for pretty much any reason, that person becomes fair game.  So, Company A contacts Company B and tells them that a person has entered one of their contests.  Company B contacts that person (in good faith??) and tries to sell them something.  As a result, I get phone calls and snail mail offerings and the pitch usually starts that because I entered a contest...  It's impossible to prove that I didn't enter the contest.  My only recourse is to threaten legal action against Company B.  I have no recourse against Company A.  I usually just hang up on the telemarketer and throw the mail piece in the trash.

You can have mine if you want them.  I have them sent to spam and I know where they are if I need to look at them.  :'

Mel

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »

When I was a sales rep at a ComputerLand store in the early 80's, Apple was the dominant player.  IBM was developing their hardware and wanted to buy or license an operating system.  The story at that time was that IBM first approached Digital Research and wanted to use their OS's, CP/M and MP/M.  They, IBM and DR, could not come to terms, so IBM then approached Microsoft to use what they called PCDOS.  We in the retail computer sales field considered DR's OS's to be more robust that PCDOS.  It was later renamed MSDOS.

I am sure your memories are correct. Although the stories and history's read differently depending on memory and sources... the important part is the date.. not company name, or persons name. You can credit the computer revolution to AOL... for all I care. Actually.... a fair case could even be made for crediting Steve Case.

But the point is:  We know that these developments not only advance mankind... but spurred economic growth and prosperity. Many more inventions improve the human condition... yet never cause economic growth (like BVC and BlueWatch). We also know that these advancements don't happen everyday. Creating the proper conditions for these kinds of developments (free markets) would benefit us all.

Gutenberg invented the printing press with replaceable/moveable letters in 1436.
New world discovered by Columbus 1492.
James Watt, invented the first practical steam engine in 1765.
Samuel Morse invented a telegraph system that was a practical and commercial success 1844.
Edison had The first successful light bulb October 22, 1879. 
The Ford Motor Company manufactured its first car - the Model A - in 1903.
MSDOS was officially released in 1981 by Microsoft.

All these names... and dates.. could be debated. But the events and approximated dates are correct.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:00:30 PM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 08:54:03 PM »

I read recently about an experiment underway now... that will direct 192 low-powered lasers onto a single hydrogen molecule. If it is successful we might be able to create the power of the sun... right here on earth.
This sounds like the old laser ignition deuterium fusion reactor quest which has been going on for 30 years, and they say it's another 30 years out and that is probably wildly optimistic.
A-a-a-a-h,  but "TerraPower" and the "traveling wave reactor" might be far more doable in short term. You can bet your last dollar if Gates is invested, it isn't pipe dream. Buy your stock now, TerraPower might be the next Microsoft.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

birdzeye

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 09:18:48 AM »

OK everybody I'm receiving my newsletters again, and the economy will be one one step closer to recovery!

It seems that my ISP did some upgrading and was sending all x10 email to a junk repository. HAVEN'T THEY HEARD OF x10!! :o

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.