Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What cameras work with Pan&Tilt kits?  (Read 9979 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
What cameras work with Pan&Tilt kits?
« on: March 22, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »

can you use wired?

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Re: What cameras work with Pan&Tilt kits?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 10:37:53 PM »

Sure!  Why not?   ;D

It's just a base that pans and tilts.  It has the on/off of an x10 power module and the RF pan/tilt remote.

Answer:  Any camera will work on it.
One guy even uses the ninja base for his receiver, to point the antenna at his cameras!   ;)
>!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:40:33 PM »

can you use wired?

I use a big clunky hardwired IR camera on my Ninja. I think it helps the camera stand out. I don't want some idot to miss the fact I have security cameras.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

birdzeye

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »

wull, geez i dunno....the sales rep said the wired camera won't fit the holes on the mount and that the wire will get all caught up in the base when it rotates.  :-\

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 11:01:46 PM »

wull, geez i dunno....the sales rep said the wired camera won't fit the holes on the mount and that the wire will get all caught up in the base when it rotates.  :-\

The sales rep is half right... or maybe 33% right. The re-enforced holes on the mount.... are positioned for the wireless cameras. I had to slightly "mod" the base.. not a biggie. The wires don't get in the way here. And I am not the only (and certainly NOT the first) wired camera on a Ninja user. The base won't make circles... so I don't see how it would be a problem.

birdzeye

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 11:19:43 PM »

so I don't see how it would be a problem.

OK. So now I need some wired cameras  ;D

Did you ever find a really good deal on anacondas (awhile back you were looking for some)?  :'

nybuck

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 11:34:09 PM »

I found the black and white ones for $25
http://www.x10.com/promotions/sc23a_ed_ondemand_temp_pricedrop.html

My post is in Wired Cameras...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:19:24 PM by nybuck »
>!

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:58:53 AM »

Did you ever find a really good deal on anacondas (awhile back you were looking for some)? 

No I didn't. But I have always used a mix of cameras (X10 and non-X10). I wanted a tiny color camera at my front door since burglars often "check out" a home at the front door. Color cameras can be helpful for ID'ing a coat, skin, or hair color.

Because I recently started using BlueWatch. I wanted hardwired.. as this camera was to be near the BlueTooth dongle. And I didn't want to risk 2.4 Ghz conflicts.

I found a tiny hardwire IR GE camera that was $39.99 and it is doing an excellent job.

birdzeye

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:39:22 AM »

I found the black and white ones...  2 for $25
http://www.x10.com/promotions/sc23a_ed_ondemand_temp_pricedrop.html

My post is in Wired Cameras...

I think it's just ONE camera for $24.99, not 2. Be a fantastic deal if it was!

birdzeye

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:10 AM »

I found a tiny hardwire IR GE camera that was $39.99 and it is doing an excellent job.

Well what is it? Where'd you get it? Is it in or outside--must be outside if it's IR---how did you position it on your front door?

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 12:00:43 PM »

Well what is it? Where'd you get it? Is it in or outside--must be outside if it's IR---how did you position it on your front door?

It's a GE outside color IR camera in the store it was $39.99. It has two bases... one weighted base for setting and one for mounting. (Not the greatest mounting setup.)

I screwed mine into a corner of the siding (a corner channel) so I did no visable damage to the siding and used the same corner piece to hide the wire as well.

The camera itself is too small to be spotted from the road. Yet when at the door... if you look around you should see it. I have another camera around back... that should be easily spotted. The others... aren't so easy to see.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:06:16 PM by Dave_x10_L »

nybuck

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 12:21:45 PM »

I think it's just ONE camera for $24.99, not 2. Be a fantastic deal if it was!
[nothing a little editing can't fix]  ;)

I guess you're right... I re-read the original post, and it was You who first pointed to the $24.99 deal!   rofl
Then, a few posts later I found the page and felt like I had discovered Atlantis...

Now, here we are a while later, and I point it out to you again...   rofl

OOps!   ;D
>!

Tommy9

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 07:32:33 AM »

Can you please describe the mods you made to the ninja base to make a wired cam fit on there?

The sales rep is half right... or maybe 33% right. The re-enforced holes on the mount.... are positioned for the wireless cameras. I had to slightly "mod" the base.. not a biggie. The wires don't get in the way here. And I am not the only (and certainly NOT the first) wired camera on a Ninja user. The base won't make circles... so I don't see how it would be a problem.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 08:48:47 PM »

Can you please describe the mods you made to the ninja base to make a wired cam fit on there?

The Ninja mount has a removeable upsidedown cup-like cover on top. It is that removeable top that an X10 camera screws on. Of course the Ninja is designed for an X10 camera... and X10 cameras are small and lightweight. Although I have used a MUCH heavier camera (compared to X10) there are many small light and IR cameras out there that can be screwed onto the Ninja base. Of course you will likely need to modify the camera or the Ninja mount by carefully drilling new holes to attach the camera.

Ninjas don't go around in circles. They will rotate nearly a complete circle in each direction... giving the camera a 360 degree view. But by just adding a little bit of slack in the camera wiring will allow the camera to turn and pan to the Ninja limits. A little testing before mounting will give you an idea of how much wire needs to dangle behind the camera.

Tommy9

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 05:57:15 AM »

Thanks for your reply!   I was hoping someone had blueprints for an adaptor between the On-Demand Cam and the Ninja mount.  The camera area where the screw holes are is too small to fit the span on the Ninja mount, so creating new holes on Ninja mount looks to be the only way.  Then there is always Duct tape!  ::)

The Ninja mount has a removeable upsidedown cup-like cover on top. It is that removeable top that an X10 camera screws on. Of course the Ninja is designed for an X10 camera... and X10 cameras are small and lightweight. Although I have used a MUCH heavier camera (compared to X10) there are many small light and IR cameras out there that can be screwed onto the Ninja base. Of course you will likely need to modify the camera or the Ninja mount by carefully drilling new holes to attach the camera.

Ninjas don't go around in circles. They will rotate nearly a complete circle in each direction... giving the camera a 360 degree view. But by just adding a little bit of slack in the camera wiring will allow the camera to turn and pan to the Ninja limits. A little testing before mounting will give you an idea of how much wire needs to dangle behind the camera.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.