Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS467/4777 auto-shutdown macro  (Read 3246 times)

captain.kawasaki

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
WS467/4777 auto-shutdown macro
« on: March 24, 2010, 11:02:29 PM »

I sold my wife a 'security system' as an excuse to start automating my home and I'll tell you--it is a BLAST.  My inner nerd and I haven't had this much fun since my last video game purchase!  I muddled through getting my WS467's and 4777's working by using an 'all lights' for each room before finding this forum and reading about the 'send ON instead of bright' preference. 
Down to brass tacks--it seems as though these wall switches do not send any powerline codes when activated locally, so my auto-shutdown macros just sit there looking dumb.  Any way to see that a WS467 was activated manually and shut it off after xx minutes?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance--captain.kawasaki

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: WS467/4777 auto-shutdown macro
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »

I sold my wife a 'security system' as an excuse to start automating my home and I'll tell you--it is a BLAST.  My inner nerd and I haven't had this much fun since my last video game purchase! 

it seems as though these wall switches do not send any powerline codes when activated locally, so my auto-shutdown macros just sit there looking dumb. 

Your right local control sends no signals on the powerlines... so the CM15A (and macros) are blind to the lights being on.

If your conditions are right for it... you might be able to use an "eye motion sensor". Not to sense motion.... but for its dusk/dawn light sensor. If the room would normally be dark (dusk). Then when the lights are ON.. the "eye" sensor would report dawn... which would really be reporting "lights ON".

Another... work-around.. would be a timer off. I know some users here have a all off based on timers. So on school/work days.. as an example.. all lights in the home would be turn off at 8AM.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:24:06 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:21:46 PM »

you might be able to use an "eye motion sensor". Not to sense motion.... but for its dusk/dawn light sensor. If the room would normally be dark (dusk). Then when the lights are ON.. the "eye" sensor would report dawn... which would really be reporting "lights ON".

DAVE! Great idea!!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:11:51 PM »

DAVE! Great idea!!

Sorry... didn't mean to give the impression that it was my idea. I think I read about it a few years ago... posted by TTA (Take The Active). I did a search... but wasn't able to dig up a link.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

captain.kawasaki

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 01:17:26 PM »

Thanks for the input!
Maybe a 'shut off the lights every 30 minutes' type macro or something.......or maybe I'll kick off a macro whenever I detect motion (there's an MS10a in the room) that turns off the foyer light 10 minutes after someone walks through....I'll have to play around and see what works best.
My wife stays home during the day so the lights are often left on for long periods of time.  Are there any wall switches that do send x10 codes when activated locally?  I googled it up but didn't find much info one way or the other.
On another note, have you guys seen http://www.thex10shop.com?  This guy is selling the stuff for cheaper than I can find it on x10.com and/or ebay.  And his shipping is ridiculously reasonable too.  Maybe it's old news, but just wanted people to know.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.