Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help with garage door macro  (Read 6591 times)

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
help with garage door macro
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:24:12 PM »

just started with these macros and simple ones seem to be working ok, and kind of cool when they do work.

I am trying to make a macro that will set off a universal module beeper, if the garage door is open during certain hours at night.  \

I have a security door sensor on the garage door,( not using security system). It is registered in ahp.  I would like it to turn on the sounder module if it detects that the door is opened during 9-11p.m.  Let me clarify, I want it to signal me if the door is in the open state.  So lets say that at 8pm i leave the door open, I would like it to beep the sounder at 9pm, and possibly repeat every 10minutes until the door is closed.  Is this something that can be done? 
Thanx

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: help with garage door macro
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:32:31 AM »

Yes it is certainly possible!
Macros have a maximum time run of 4 1/2 hours so as long as you caught the open door in that time frame it would work for you.
I haven't a garage in my setup but several here do have open door reminder macros. So I'm sure many will chime in with some cool ideas.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:24:24 AM »

So I'm sure many will chime in with some cool ideas.

I have a garage door reminder. My reminder was inspired by my repeatedly finding my garage door open at night when I checked doors and locked up. My first thought was to place a camera in the garage... so I could check doors from my easy chair. So then all I did was find the door open... using a camera. An open garage door is a dangerous invitation to crime... day or night... even in a nice neighborhood.

I added the Voice announcement reminder (< video link) that reminds me every few minutes when the door is open. It has great Wife Approval too. I have even posted my reminder macro for download. (AHX files can be merged with other AHX files in AHP).

Simple repeated tasks [like this] are perfect for automation. The most desireable solution may be an auto-closer. Easy enough to do... and can be done with the same Universal module you have planned on using for the sounder. I don't have an auto-closer myself.. but others here at the forum have posted about theirs.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:45:30 AM »

My garage door has 2 magnetic switches connected to powerflash modules.  One is to indicate when the door is up, and the other to indicate if the door is down.  I have mine set up to automatically check at a certain time to see if the garage door is open.  If so, it triggers my universal module to close the door.  I also have some other conditional macros to check if the door is stuck in mid cycle (under the right conditions my door can stop in the middle of opening or closing) and attempt to get the door closed if it is stuck.  I figure, why have it sound a buzzer when the door is left open only to have me go and close it when I can just have AHP close it for me.

If you are concerned about security and worried that someone may find out your UM code to open your garage door, here is an article that has a pretty good way of automating your garage door with some X10 security features.

Dan Bemowski
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.