Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wireless Camera mods (replace camera/reuse wireless sending unit)  (Read 22330 times)

STI2NR

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • Security cams online!!

Seeing as though they charge a heavy premium price for a Sentinel setup and I am unemployed, I came across an idea.

I am very technically/fabricator saavy so this would not be hard for me to do.

I wanted to know if anyone has replaced the low definition cameras with high def PTZ cameras and reused the wireless function of the x10 sending unit. 

I have plenty of extra cameras laying around so I do not have an issue ripping into one to see what it would take to make an "ultimate camera".

Last night I took both of my vr31a's and made good use of an some old Linksys wirless routers antennas.  I can get a clear signal for the most part now.  I am however waiting on some 9dbi antennas to clear up the last little bit of interference I am getting.

You can see my cameras streaming at http://sti2nr.camstreams.com/ 

Please let me know of any thoughts/ideas you may have or if there is a link to anyone who has done this mod before. 

Licensed Inside Commercial Electrician in Oregon and Washington --USMC veteran 1993-2001--3 time marathon completer 2008 (4:12) 2009 (PDX 3:44, Seattle 3:32)

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Re: Wireless Camera mods (replace camera/reuse wireless sending unit)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:19:42 PM »

It's really quite a simple mod you are trying to do.
The camera portion is a small board right behind the lens.
There are several wires coming out of it.
Red: +12v DC
Black: ground
Yellow: video
White: audio
Blue: video return

The lower unit is the video sender.  Just connect these wires to your new camera.  The power supply isn't much.  80 ma total.  That isn't too hard to replace, either.  The tip is positive constant, ring is positive switched by X10 line commands, and barrel is negative.

Good Luck!   ;D
>!

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 10:55:57 PM »

That was the info I was looking for. 

Thank you so very much!! 

Now to scrounge ebay for a webcam with HD. 

I also need a weatherproof bubble for it.

Thanks again for your help!!

Do you know by chance what all the 3 dials do inside the base???
Licensed Inside Commercial Electrician in Oregon and Washington --USMC veteran 1993-2001--3 time marathon completer 2008 (4:12) 2009 (PDX 3:44, Seattle 3:32)

nybuck

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:29:13 AM »

I haven't messed with the pots.  I have been burned too many times trying to fiddle with inner controls like that.
>!

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 10:55:30 AM »

Are you sure the voltage going to the camera section is 12v ?? 

Searching the wiki it says the voltage going to the camera is 5v which would be perfect for any usb camera on the market.  http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/XC18A

I purchased this camera and am going to do some experimenting. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220574620259&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My hopes are that the circuit board will swap right over into the original x10 housing so all that I have to do is some desoldering/soldering.

I have a couple of questions though.  Normally a microphone/video signal have both a positive and a negative yet you say there is only one wire for audio and 2 wires (video/video return) for video.  Are you able to elaborate on this more????

Please let me know what you think!!

Thanks for your time!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »

Searching the wiki it says the voltage going to the camera is 5v which would be perfect for any usb camera on the market.  http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/XC18A

The wiki says:  Supply Voltage for Lens 5V DC, Power Requirements 12 VDC, 80 mA

I have used the cameras on a 12 volt (battery) power supply. I have also used a non-X10 transformer as well. I used 12 volts.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »

Lens being what I am changing out.  The voltage drops where??  I am going to disassemble a camera today and test it with my meter.  I am going to assume the voltage drops inside the base.  We will find out.

On a sidenote I modded all of my cameras for night vision so please excuse the red hue on all of the cameras.

;-)

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 02:40:15 PM »

The wiki says:  Supply Voltage for Lens 5V DC, Power Requirements 12 VDC, 80 mA

I have used the cameras on a 12 volt (battery) power supply. I have also used a non-X10 transformer as well. I used 12 volts.

So you wired 12 volts DIRECTLY to the camera portion or the entire base??  I bet you anything the voltage in the wires coming out of the base and going into the camera portion is 5 volts.   ;-)

nybuck

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 02:45:26 PM »

If you look in the base, it appears as though the tip voltage (of the 1/8" power supply plug) goes directly to the camera assembly, giving it constant power, and the ring + voltage stops at the transmitter, giving it switched voltage.

I'd have to agree with Dave - It's 12v.  It may be dropped right on the CMOS board.

A meter will tell you right quick, though!  ;D
>!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 03:27:05 PM »

..... So you wired 12 volts DIRECTLY to the camera portion or the entire base?? 

I didn't disassemble anything. I wired a car [like] battery to a fixture that the camera could plug into. I was only creating a Mobile Observation Platform. My idea was... it didn't matter where I placed a camera... I would need one somewhere else.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »

If you look in the base, it appears as though the tip voltage (of the 1/8" power supply plug) goes directly to the camera assembly, giving it constant power, and the ring + voltage stops at the transmitter, giving it switched voltage.

I'd have to agree with Dave - It's 12v.  It may be dropped right on the CMOS board.

A meter will tell you right quick, though!  ;D

I would assume the usb cameras for a computer would drop the voltage on the board as well if such is the case.  I will find out here in a bit when I take one apart after lunch.

nybuck

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »

I seem to remember that same Ebay camera you sent the link to, coming in a non-PC, 9-12vdc wall block model as well...

I think the USB supplies 5.5vdc, not 12v....   ???
>!

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »

I tested the power going into the cmos board as 14.4 volts with the 12 volt power supply attached.  The actual lens/screen is 5.2 volts.

The usb camera I purchased will be getting modified.  It was only 7 bucks.  Small price to pay for research and development.

We shall see.  ;-)

nybuck

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 06:04:01 PM »

What I did for the baby-cam is remove the IR filter and add a board of IR LED's.  It gives me good night vision.  If anything, the IR LED's I have are too bright.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Security-Camera-10-LED-IR-Illuminator-Board-Plate_W0QQitemZ170431708091QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ae857bbb

This was the IR board I used.  I took the switched 12v power off the base and wired it to the LED board.  It has a light sensor on it which turns it off when there is external light. 

The only problem I ran into is the 80ma wall block for the Xcam won't power the LED's, camera and video sender.  When the LED's went on, I got a messed-up (technical term) picture.  I solved it by using a ninja power supply.

I'll try to add pictures later.
>!

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 07:38:51 PM »

I would love to see the pictures!! 

You have given me some great ideas!!

Thanks for this message board big time!!!!!  ;-)
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.