Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wireless Camera mods (replace camera/reuse wireless sending unit)  (Read 22324 times)

STI2NR

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • Security cams online!!
Re: Wireless Camera mods (replace camera/reuse wireless sending unit)
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 02:30:23 PM »

So after surfing the web all day yesterday I purchased this ptz cam http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190387843588&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I want to be able to include this cameras video output in my x10 setup.  I am going to cut the camera off of a receiver but am unsure of which wires I need to terminate on the balun plug.  I bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170436242981&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I would assume that the yellow wire coming out the the transmitters base would be going on the + side of the connector but where does the - side connect??  Is it the blue wire?? 

Also I am going to wire in a microphone as well, which wires on the transmitter do I use for that??

Thanks again for all the help on the boards!!

Licensed Inside Commercial Electrician in Oregon and Washington --USMC veteran 1993-2001--3 time marathon completer 2008 (4:12) 2009 (PDX 3:44, Seattle 3:32)

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 04:58:57 PM »

As per my initial description, and this thread:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=13139.msg73205#msg73205

Connect the Yellow & Blue from your video transmitter to the 'video out' of your new camera.
Connect the White & Blue from your video transmitter to the 'audio out' of your new camera.

Power your Dome camera.
Power your video transmitter.

You should be all set...   ;D
>!

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 09:22:13 PM »

I was hoping you would respond Ny!!

This was what I was thinking as well but just wanted to make sure.  I can assume the yellow=+ (center pin on BNC connector) and blue=-(jacket of BNC connector)?  The microphone hookup would be self explanatory.  Do you think I should use an amplified cctv microphone or do you think a standard one would work just fine??  I mean I have 80ma and 12volts dc sitting right there I might as well use it huh??  I was thinking this one :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Security-Mic-Microphone-For-CCTV-Camera-CAM-DVR-SPY-F02_W0QQitemZ250585134403QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5809b543

I could then make use of the 12v 80ma power supply on the video transmitter.

What do you think??

I should get the dome camera this week sometime.  I will post pictures of the setup.

I think you are gonna like it!!  Thanks again!
Licensed Inside Commercial Electrician in Oregon and Washington --USMC veteran 1993-2001--3 time marathon completer 2008 (4:12) 2009 (PDX 3:44, Seattle 3:32)

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »

I don't have any experience with the Ebay mic you asked about...  I have had good results with the built-in mic on the X10 units.  Outdoors, it's a little tricky, as the wind noise is much louder than any usable audio, other than yelling or car engine sounds.  In short, I skip the outdoor audio.

As far as which wire goes where, you seem correct.  I have had times where my video didn't look right, and so I switched the wires and it was crystal clear...  I swore it should be the other way, and it was much better switched...  So I will let you try it.  The only thing I can say is that there will be no mistaking it when you hook it up.  If it's wrong, it will not look/sound right.  I never used a balun, I just terminated the wires right into an RCA or BNC plug, with good results.  I never really got the lesson on 50 ohm vs 75 ohm, etc...  I could never see the difference in short cable runs.  I remember people stressing in video applications, but I generally use whatever I have lying around and have had acceptable results.  You would think you'd need 75 ohm shielded cable from the camera to the DVR - but most people, myself included, use cat 3, satin phone cord, twisted pair, or whatever we have laying around...  If the video looks bad, we bash X10!   ;)

Good luck - and let us know how it turns out!   ;D
>!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 08:16:59 AM »

Microphones are a touchy subject. I almost hate to mention I can't use a microphone with my cameras in my state. It's against the law. The way the laws were written [decades ago]... listening devices violate a person normal expection of privacy.

In other words... if your snooping around my yard, or even just walking by on the sidewalk.. you wouldn't normally expect me to be able to hear you. And.. of course.. your right to privacy is a protected right and rights don't stop at other people property lines. So your expectation of privacy would be violated by a listening device [microphone]. However... previous existing laws regarding decenticy and disguises means your normal and reasonable [public] expectation... is to be seen. As everyone knows the law requires people to wear clothes in public. Lesser known laws regarding masks and gender related outfits.. predate microphone laws. Hence... cameras are OK.

So I can hang a camera anywhere outside my home that points to a public area. But I can't use a microphone anywhere.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:44:16 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 08:42:25 AM »

I thought I just came across a vid article that took place just a few days ago in Washington DC/Maryland area where a motorcyclist was pulled over by a state trooper.  The motorcyclist had a camera visibly mounted on top of his helmet.  He is now in BIG BIG trouble for recording audio of the stop incident.

r,
eagle

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 08:54:27 AM »

.... He is now in BIG BIG trouble for recording audio of the stop incident.

I know this stuff can seem a bit strange. And whereas I can't say I fully support the strangeness of the laws... I can't say I oppose the laws ether. I truly value my freedom of speech... and I am not sure I would feel nearly as free to speak openly... if my speech was maybe being recorded.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 11:08:15 PM »

Oregon is a "one person consent state".  I do not need anyone elses permission except my own if I decide to record cops/trespassers/criminals/whatnots on my property or in my presence. 

In my younger years I won a case against a groupo of cops because they impounded my car on the way to work.  They said I was creating an "exhibition of speed".  I let them rattle on and on in court about what it is I did exactly.  I then whipped out my mini tape recorder and played it for the judge.  The judge dismissed my case and made the officers pay back my impound fees out of their own pockets. 

I know my rights, and I know them well.  Those of you in other states, be your own judge.  I on  the other hand will be recording EVERYTHING!!  Even if the law changes I will still do it.  ;-)

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 11:09:46 PM »

I thought I just came across a vid article that took place just a few days ago in Washington DC/Maryland area where a motorcyclist was pulled over by a state trooper.  The motorcyclist had a camera visibly mounted on top of his helmet.  He is now in BIG BIG trouble for recording audio of the stop incident.

r,
eagle

Post the link.  I cannot seem to find it ANYWHERE!! ;-)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 12:20:59 AM »

As always, do your homework and find out for yourself what rights you have in your area. Generally you will find out that you can only use a recorded conversation in a court of law if you are a part of that conversation. One person's consent refers to someone from the conversation allowing the recording to be used for legal purposes.

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 08:29:39 AM »

Whew.

It took a little bit of work but I found it. 

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0410/725740.html

r,
eagle
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.