Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vanguard software crashing, winXP crashing- this problem solved  (Read 8561 times)

acsx10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

I struggled for almost a year with Vanguard software crashing and sometimes taking WinXP with it. It never ran more than a day or so at our vacation home (that's why I bought the cameras- to keep an eye on it). I tried adding memory. I had the PC in 2 different shops for assessment- the PC always ran there. I re-installed XP. I installed and ran Registry cleaning s/w. It already had active virus protection. Still crashed.

I even brought all of the equipment home- cameras, PC, monitor, etc. It ran fine here for days. Though it had a wireless card, in both locations I cabled the PC to the wireless router (home just a router connected to a cable modem; at the vac house a DSL/wireless router combo). I then assumed power problems at the vac house and bought a power regulator, UPS, etc. Still crashed at the vac house.

So here's what solved the problem. When I disabled the wireless PCI card on the PC it ran fine. Has been running for a couple of months. Works just like it's supposed to.

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: Vanguard software crashing, winXP crashing- this problem solved
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »

I don't have Vanguard but that is good to hear since I've seen a lot of posts about it having all sorts of problems.

Thanks for sharing. 

r,
eagle

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 09:05:06 AM »

I had a possibly related issue - and that's why I asked if the X10 cameras were 2.4GHz...

I had four wireless baby cameras (not X10's) that xmitted on 2.4GHz.
They effectively overpowered and shut-down my 802.11g wireless network.

I saw "confirmations" of interference on the X10 kbase.

Note that changing channels could possibly help.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 12:36:48 PM »

So here's what solved the problem. When I disabled the wireless PCI card on the PC it ran fine. Has been running for a couple of months. Works just like it's supposed to.

Very interesting! Something I will keep in mind for any future repeated crashing problems. Thanks for sharing!!

I had four wireless baby cameras (not X10's) that xmitted on 2.4GHz. They effectively overpowered and shut-down my 802.11g wireless network.

Note that changing channels could possibly help.

I mayself have changed channels (both cameras and routers) and whipped a LOT out of the 2.4 bandwidth. It wasn't until recently that I wanted more BlueTooth use... that I had to give up on 2.4... and convert to wired cameras.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.