Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AM 466 Use Outside  (Read 4484 times)

lflorack

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • LinkedIn - Lee Florack
AM 466 Use Outside
« on: March 28, 2010, 10:53:05 PM »

I'm planning on using an outside outlet on my deck to power a small water fountain during the warmer months and 4 strings of Christmas lights (LED's) around the holidays.  I have the AHP timers all ready to go and am plan to use an AM466 to control it.  Then I realized that I don't remember seeing anything about how weather resistant the 466's are (or aren't).  It will be somewhat protected from rain and snow but not completely and certainly not from winter temperatures.   Is this plan OK or is there a better weather resistant choice? 

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: AM 466 Use Outside
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:21:30 AM »

if you search the forum or google for an answer you will see that even such home automation giants such as Smarthome recommend a 'ziplock' bag and a zip-tie

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 01:04:58 AM »

For what it's worth, I have a couple modules outside.  The outlets that they are plugged into have plastic weather resistant covers on them.  I have not had any trouble with them so far.  They have been out in the rain and snow for almost a year now and are functioning normally.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 06:16:55 AM »

The LEDs in the winter may glow dimly if they draw very little current and a single 4 watt night light bulb may have to be used with them.
I know others have used the AM466 outside with some protection like a baggie or weather resistant enclosure.

Black and Decker [X10 OEM] use to make a FWLROD outdoor module. It was what looked like a 2' extension cord with a module in the middle. Acted like a appliance module but programmed like a Socket Rocket. They where discontinued a while back and I don't know if any dealers may still have them.

lflorack

• LinkedIn - Lee Florack
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:48:43 AM »

Thanks everyone!

I had actually put a freezer bag around the AM466 when I 'installed' it but was checking to see if that was a correct thing to do.  It sounds like it is.  As far as the possibility of a slight glow with LED's only (thanks for bringing this up Brian H!), I can easily add a small string of standard lights to the mix and then I wouldn't have that issue.

I'll do a search for the Black & Decker modules too -- just in case I can find one.

Sounds great!  Thanks again everyone.

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 10:23:35 AM »

I've had mechanical timers controlling outside Christmas lights for many years, before I started using X10, with no problems.  I use small (approx. 12"L x 6"W x 5"D covered plastic boxes.  I cut small notches in each end so that wires can come out with the lid closed.  The timer and the  wires connecting to it are in the box and the lid is taped shut with duct tape.  One wire goes out to a weatherproof external outlet and the other wire goes out to the string(s) of lights.  After the holidays when the weather permits, I put the boxes back in the basement for the next year.  My mechanical timers died this year.  Sounds like time for X10 modules to replace them.

lflorack

• LinkedIn - Lee Florack
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 11:50:10 AM »

The LEDs in the winter may glow dimly if they draw very little current and a single 4 watt night light bulb may have to be used with them.
I know others have used the AM466 outside with some protection like a baggie or weather resistant enclosure.

Black and Decker [X10 OEM] use to make a FWLROD outdoor module. It was what looked like a 2' extension cord with a module in the middle. Acted like a appliance module but programmed like a Socket Rocket. They where discontinued a while back and I don't know if any dealers may still have them.

I checked at Black and Decker and Smarthome for the FWLROD and found that they are indeed discontinued.  But, I then checked at Amazon and found they still have them (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-Freewire-Receiver-FWLROD/dp/B0001VO36K).  I'll probably try the AM466 as I'd planned because I need an appliance module for the small water feature in the warmer months.  But, if anyone needs to have a weatherproof version for lights only like the B&D model, they can still get one for ~$18..
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:07:20 PM by lflorack »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »

It says light module but it is an appliance module and it clunks just the standard one. It also has the same ratings as an appliance module.
I have no idea why the said a lamp module as it has the switch in it and does not dim.

lflorack

• LinkedIn - Lee Florack
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 12:51:50 PM »

It says light module but it is an appliance module and it clunks just the standard one. It also has the same ratings as an appliance module.
I have no idea why the said a lamp module as it has the switch in it and does not dim.

You convinced me!  I just bought one!   ;D

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.