Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 to show alarm status  (Read 3613 times)

DaveJ50

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 to show alarm status
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:02:51 AM »

I was just sure I would find some x10 device that would just plug into an existing outlet that would do nothing more than chirp and turn on a big fat red led when I arm my house alarm but I haven't found one.

My second choice was a plug in x10 module that I could use with a night light but all I looked at had the controlled outlet in the bottom which would make the night light hard to see and maybe even a little dangerous.

I'm just looking for ideas for x10 ways to show alarm status that I could see/hear from outside my garage door.

Thanks
DaveJ

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: x10 to show alarm status
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 05:58:37 PM »

I'm just looking for ideas for x10 ways to show alarm status that I could see/hear from outside my garage door.

I recently setup a X10 alarm on a garage.... and the X10 floodlight flashes (blinks or lights for about 1 sec) when the alarm is armed. Works out real well for a detached garage with sensors in the gargae and console in the house.

Also... if you wanted to use a nightlight in a standard plug... you can use a socketrocket and some adapters. Or a regular lamp module and an adapter.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:02:59 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »

The way I know when my vehicle is armed when I walking around it is a bright blue led blinking under the dash.

A bright red/blue blinker LED would be a nice indicator that you could see from outside the house.

How to do this?

Well we don't want constant blinking (on/off) x10 signals hogging the power line. So we need a small bright led/incandescent bulb that blinks on its own when power is applied...hmmmmmmmmm

DaveJ50

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:52:20 PM »

Those are 2 very good ideas.

Now I have to look into doing one of them.

Thanks

DaveJ

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 07:26:47 AM »

"I recently setup a X10 alarm on a garage.... and the X10 floodlight flashes (blinks or lights for about 1 sec) when the alarm is armed. Works out real well for a detached garage with sensors in the garage and console in the house."

Dave I need to set up a similar sys in my barn. can you explain your setup. Please!

Thanks.
IPS

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 10:42:48 AM »

Dave I need to set up a similar sys in my barn. can you explain your setup. Please!

The detached garage [in my setup] was only about 50 feet from the house...within range of the DS10A's. If your barn is further from the house the console will likely need to mounted in the garage. Of course... that would mean power and phone lines would need be in the barn as well. But then you can still add a siren, lamp module, or even a chime in the house.

Directions for setting the code for the flashing/blinking light code are in the alarms direction.. it is nothing special. Whichever House code you select for the alarm... the number one unit.. will flash/blink.

The Floodlight (PR511) has other cool features that I like as well (its the heart of my outside setup). The floodlight can turn on up to 4 other devices when it senses motion (and 4 more at dusk/dawn). So you can use the floodlight to detect motion around the barn... and then chime a chime... or light a light inside the house, to alert you. I use an X10 floodlight to turn on a light, chime, and CAMERA... which then automaticlly displays on my TV.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.