Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Surveillance cameras for around the house? BUT - Quality?  (Read 3542 times)

Melissa2010B

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Surveillance cameras for around the house? BUT - Quality?
« on: April 04, 2010, 12:50:53 AM »

Hey all,

I'm a new member here.

We work out of the house and sometimes have clients drop by to bring us work. We're also listed as the registered agent at this address, so are not impossible to find, if someone wanted to. We also have no garage, just the driveway, so the cars are exposed out there.

So we'd like to put up some outdoor surveillance cameras around the house.

We'd like some with pan/tilt/zoom, motion detectors, night vision and some decent
resolution, so if someone does mess around, they can be identified for the police.

So I've been looking for some good ones that can interface into a DVR in the house,
and don't cost an arm and a leg for it all. ( we are a little home based
operation, after all )

But there's the catch, when you get all that, they can cost $1500
each.

Someone suggested X10 but I told them that, in the past, I've heard several people say that X10's were poor resolution and not at all quality.

Has that changed any in recent years?

What are those standards they build electronics to? ISO 9000 or something? Are X10's built to that, burned in, etc.?

STI2NR

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • Security cams online!!
Re: Surveillance cameras for around the house? BUT - Quality?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:14:02 AM »

They have the sentinel camera right now for 399 on the x10 website.  If you use www.mrrebates.com you can get an additional 20% cash back off that price as well.

I do not own a Sentinel yet but the more I research the more I keep coming back to the Sentinel.

Couple it with motion tracking software and it is a pretty good deal.
Licensed Inside Commercial Electrician in Oregon and Washington --USMC veteran 1993-2001--3 time marathon completer 2008 (4:12) 2009 (PDX 3:44, Seattle 3:32)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:44:46 AM »

.... We'd like some with pan/tilt/zoom, motion detectors, night vision and some decent resolution, so if someone does mess around, they can be identified for the police.
So I've been looking for some good ones that can interface into a DVR in the house, and don't cost an arm and a leg for it all.

Cameras can be effective at deterring crime.... as it is much easier for criminals to just move on to easier targets. But to construct a setup with the ability to catch the criminal by means of identification.... won't be accomplished on the cheap.

Also.. I'd MUCH rather have my home passed up and not robbed (as would be intruders saw the obvious use of cameras and an alarm). Instead of robbed and ramsacked.. and maybe a family member harmed or killed. A couple (or more) big chunky IR cameras can be easy enough for bad guys to spot and avoid. Adding a couple tiny X10 cameras and plenty of light... might help ID the neighbors kid with a drug problem.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:27:27 AM »

Melissa,

We don't know what you'd consider "good enough quality" - only you can determine that.  I think if you wanted cameras that had enough resolution to make out a face at 10 feet, or work just as well in low light conditions...

I dunno - I don't think you'd be as happy as you'd want to be with an X-10 camera.  But again - only you can make that call.  :)

As for build quality - ISO 900x is just a set of specifications on what kind'a processes you have documented.  In other words, I don't consider it really a discriminating factor in making a decision.

Maybe you can find someone with an acceptable return policy?
Try the X-10s and if they meet your expectations - peachy!  :)

Also - I think you'll get most people to agree  that *wired* cameras top wireless for security purposes.

By the way - I've been looking for the same thing, but toss in wireless. 
So far I'm still looking.  :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 08:47:15 PM »

........ I think if you wanted cameras that had enough resolution to make out a face at 10 feet, or work just as well in low light conditions...
I dunno - I don't think you'd be as happy as you'd want to be with an X-10 camera. 

I actually think X10 is fine at ten feet... meaning a you should be able to get a good enough face shot to display on TV. If the intruder is dumb enough to look at the camera. And there is the problem. To get a good picture it DOES need to be close... no matter what camera you use. Even my HD video camera... would need be no more than about 10 feet away. To get pictures like that from people committing crimes... you might need to have hidden cameras.

But to deter the average thief... you need cameras that can be easily spotted... so they can be avoided. I use a mix of easy to see... and pretty much hidden.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.