Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: xx16A with VR36A  (Read 10169 times)

jeffdharlan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • My home doesn't take sick days
xx16A with VR36A
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:36:19 AM »

Ok, I have these two items with the Ninja Pan and Tilt. 
Heres what worked:

XX16A plugged into wall with appropriate wall wart (made sure it was not plugged directly into the Ninja's wall wart) - A1 (this code is not used with any other X10 device)
Ninja plugged into wall with appropriate wall wart - A5 (this code is not used with any other X10 device)
(I will change the House codes later)
XX16A mounted to Ninja
VR36A plugged into TV and antenna facing the XX16A appropriately - within 8-10 feet of the receiver.

Everything above worked fine with the Scanpad remote that came with the Ninja as well as the Palm Pad (turned on and off fine)
I played around with this for a few hours with no issues.

The next day I plugged the XX16A into the power supply of the Ninja via the little cord that is hidden in the housing of the Ninja.  This worked fine for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.  Then I noticed horizontal shadowy lines slowly moving vertically up the picture on my TV.  I adjusted the antennae and even moved the camera to direct line of sight within 8 feet of the receiver.  This did not affect the lines on the TV.  I rotated the camera 90 degrees so the image was sideways and the lines were still horizontal and remained scrolling upward on the TV.  I tried all combinations of channels (A - D) on both the TV and receiver making sure they were in sync.  Nothing changed.

Then I unplugged the camera and Ninja, and plugged the XX16A back into its own power supply.  Now I get no signal on the receiver!  I tried different outlets and even moved the camera to within 1 foot of the receiver.  Absolutely no signal is received to the receiver.  I verified they are on the same channel and clicked ON to the appropriate Unit Code on the Palm Pad.  I tested other items with the Palm Pad to make sure the CM15A was responding, which it was.

Is the camera toast?  Has anyone had these shadowy lines appear on their camera?  I did buy the planetcam kit but haven't even tried the internet items like the VA12A.  If I have a bad receiver would the VA12A even be functional to test?  What I hate is that the camera has no visible sign to know if it is working, like a light or something.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the camera to see if it is the camera or the receiver that has failed?  I made sure the receiver was on by the way which it is and the red light is lit on the front of the unit.

B:(

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that when the camera signal could not be detected, and I had it plugged in the Ninja power supply the Ninja would not move.  As soon as I disconnected it from the Ninja power, the Ninja was responsive to Scan Pad controls. 

EDIT #2: I just saw this post - http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=11352.0 - My wall wart was very hot, so I have had it unplugged for about 18 hours.  I will plug it in tonight when I get home and see if it was an overheating issue!!!  -:) 

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:28:46 AM by jeffdharlan »
What has your home done for you today?

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Re: xx16A with VR36A
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:07:41 AM »

One time I saw those same 'shadowy lines' in my video.  It was when I accidentally used my cam power supply on the ninja and the camera together.  The Cam power supply is 80 milliamps, and the ninja power supply is 200 milliamps.  Theoretically if you tried using this for too long, it could burn out the smaller power supply.

I hope that isn't the case.  To test it, you would need a voltmeter.  The tip and first ring on the power supply are positive, and the barrel is negative 12 volts DC.  (it will show about 18 volts)

Make sure the camera and receiver are on the same A-D channel and you are using the proper video output on the receiver.  Channel 3/4 is correct...  Seems simple, but we've all made silly mistakes.   B:(

Good Luck!   ;D
>!

jeffdharlan

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »

I did not do as you stated, but I will try this volt test.  I simply unplugged the camera from the camera power supply, and never touched the Ninja power supply, so I know I didn't accidentally use the camera wall wart.  Can you explain why when the camera shares the ninja power from the hidden plug the ninja stops moving?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:14:19 AM by jeffdharlan »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 12:54:09 PM »

The jack in the Ninja base is made to power the instent on cameras with the Ninjas supply controlling both the camera and the base.
My thoughts are the camera has failed and is overloading the Ninja Power Supply or the power cable in the Ninja is defective and loading down when it is connected.
The base comes with an adapter for the older slow to warm up cameras. You didn't use the adapter for your instant on one did you?
I believe the connectors where a different type but am fuzzy on that point.

From the shell connection there should be +12 volts [maybe higher if not loaded by the camera or base] to both the ring and tip connections when the base is turned on. I can't remember if it is the tip or ring that switches the RF on and off with the X10 on off code.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:00:59 PM by Brian H »

jeffdharlan

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »

The jack in the Ninja base is made to power the instent on cameras with the Ninjas supply controlling both the camera and the base.
My thoughts are the camera has failed and is overloading the Ninja Power Supply or the power cable in the Ninja is defective and loading down when it is connected.

From the shell connection there should be +12 volts [maybe higher if not loaded by the camera or base] to both the ring and tip connections when the base is turned on. I can't remember if it is the tip or ring that switches the RF on and off with the X10 on off code.

OK, so the xx16A, not being instant on, should NEVER share the Ninja's power source, right?  The fact that when I disconnect the Ninja and just power up the XX16A with its own power source and turn it on with the Palm Pad and NOTHING happens - might mean the camera is toast.  I wonder if the Ninja is damaged too.  I am not sure if I should return both for a replacement or not.  I will try the voltmeter tonight and retry the camera alone and see if it shows any sign of life - well if the receiver shows any sign that it is getting a signal!

EDIT: It is an instant on cam apparently.  This is from the Ninja's manual "The VK74A includes the ZC15A Pan ‘n Tilt Camera Base with XM14A
remote controlled power supply, and the CR14A remote control. You attach
any XCam2 wireless camera (XX11A or XX13A) or any XCam 2 Instant
On Camera (XX16A or XX17A) to the Pan ‘n Tilt Camera Base and then
you can remotely control the camera’s position using a CR14A remote
control."
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:06:08 PM by jeffdharlan »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:07:39 PM »

The XX16A is instant on if my search was correct.
By instant on it means the picture doesn't fade up from black when it is turned on by the X10 control signal. The older cameras took like three to five seconds for the video to fade up as the video detector slowly charged up.
Another way to tell. The power connector does it look like a stereo headphone connector? Whet there is a barrel, ring and tip connection.

jeffdharlan

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »

The power connector does it look like a stereo headphone connector?

Yes.  I was rereading the manual.  I hope that I didnt hit C2-C4 with the Scan Pad.  If I did, it looks like it would "appear" as if my camera was not broadcasting a signal, right?  I will double check this tonight too!

Thanks for the input guys!  :)

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 01:17:57 PM »

I just re-read your post... -:)

The fact that the power supply got really hot is not a good sign.  Sounds like something is drawing a lot of power, or shorted.

If the ninja moves, then you plug the camera in and it stops moving, the odds are that the camera is shorted.  Add that to the fact that the camera doesn't work on its own, without the ninja base, and it's not looking good for that camera.     :(
>!

jeffdharlan

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 01:44:36 PM »

RMA for the cam and PS.  We'll see how the replacement does!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.