Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IconRemote (ir32a?) seems to have died  (Read 12546 times)

monty

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
IconRemote (ir32a?) seems to have died
« on: April 05, 2010, 10:05:09 AM »

Hello,
Wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar ....

I've had a remote for several months that I don't use too much. I was adding some X10 items to it, and had tried moving some items from one 'room' to another on the remote which didn't seem to take. So I had tried recreating those items on the remote.

At some point the screen just went blank. Nothing would happen after then, the screen remained black, nothing turned on etc. I thought the batteries had died so changed those out (I'm 99% sure were good batteries - probably should have tested them to make sure though) - still no life.

I looked for a reset button but didn't see anything. Any thoughts?

Bryan.

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: IconRemote (ir32a?) seems to have died
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »

Mine up and kicked it while I was at work.

We had a funeral for it here it the chat room and a gracious member gave me a new one for the cost of shipping. These icons are very static sensitive. I can only figure that is what killed mine.

Sorry for your loss. I was very attached to mine, as I am attached to the replacement.

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

monty

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:34:43 AM »

So, I checked and found I had a bout 10 days before the warranty expired, so I contacted support.

Got an RMA, was going to ship back the remote - hey presto it's working again  B:(

So, now I'm wondering, do I send it back and reprogram everything when I get the remote back. Or, do I just keep what I have  and pretend it was me all along!  ???

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:49:46 AM »

So, now I'm wondering, do I send it back and reprogram everything when I get the remote back. Or, do I just keep what I have  and pretend it was me all along!  ???
Yeah, that really is a tough one. Maybe I can help with a couple of questions, the goal being put the decision in perspective by (1) quantitizing the reprogramming agony of a new Icon or (2) predicting the continued operation of the "healed" Icon:

1. How long will it take you reprogram the new one?

2. Have you ever won a lottery?

I'm just trying to help.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:52:36 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 01:28:58 PM »

IMHO. It died once already. Exchange it while you can. I have never seen an electronic device heal itself permanently.

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:25:20 PM »

IMHO. It died once already. Exchange it while you can. I have never seen an electronic device heal itself permanently.

Mine came back to life oh 4 months before it died for good.
Get a new one while you can!
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

monty

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »

Thanks everyone - dropped it off at the post office today.

I did take screen shots before sending it in - hopefully the device codes will be especially useful.

On a side note, I see that ThingFling.com is going to be offering a Prestigo SRU8010 for $12.99 shortly - from the images and a quick google search it seems like the same remote.

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 04:07:59 PM »

I see that ThingFling.com is going to be offering a Prestigo SRU8010 for $12.99 shortly - from the images and a quick google search it seems like the same remote.
That looks like a great deal, compared to Amazon ($69.99), but it does not mention X10 rf in the description.  I wonder if it's the original IR-only model...  ???

I see no mention of RF transmission in the manual http://electroncanada.com/SRU8010manual.pdf
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:45:14 PM by nybuck »
>!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.