Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vanguard zoom and pan with NightWatch Wireless Camera  (Read 16087 times)

carinrvt1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Vanguard zoom and pan with NightWatch Wireless Camera
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:32:25 PM »

HELP! I am so not computer oriented.  We have set up a NightWatch Wireless Low-Light B/W Video Camera in a corner of a 10x10 horse stall to watch broodmares as they prepare to foal.  I would like to zoom out (widen) my view of the stall but the zoom and pan buttons on the screen on my computer do nothing.  What am I doing wrong? B:(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Vanguard zoom and pan with NightWatch Wireless Camera
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 07:55:52 AM »

You are using the Vanguard software with the NightWatch Wireless Camera correct?

The camera does not have a zoom feature.

Do you have a Ninja pan and tilt base?
Not sure if Vanguard Software can control a Ninja as the Vanguard Camera has a built in pan and tilt base and can also zoom.

Did you get anything else X10 related? Like a transceiver or computer interface. If so can you give us the model numbers.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:17:27 AM by Brian H »

carinrvt1

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:58:15 AM »

B:( This is what I bought : http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx20a_3cam_si.html  I pretty much figured out the camera can't zoom.  Why would they sell these cameras with this program if you can't use all the features.  Bummer!  Thank you for answering!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:58:35 AM »

Thank you for the link to the package. That makes it easier to know what you have.

Only a guess here. The software works with more than one model camera and isn't smart enough to know each models features. If you even have a choice when setting it up.

carinrvt1

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 10:01:51 AM »

It does let you choose from a picture list of cameras.  Guess if I can't get the view I want I'll have to buy a different camera.  I doubt I can return the three cameras without returning everything?!

Any recommendations for a camera that needs to view a 10x10 area?

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »

The wide-angle cameras may suit your needs.  It gives me a one-shot view of my living room, which is bigger than 10x10.  Of course, it has its limitations when you are close to the camera.  I would imagine any camera set-up has 'blind' spots.  Wide-angle cameras are on sale often for the same price as the regular ones.  According to their sales pitch, it gives you twice the width in the picture, or 120 degree compared to a 60 degree view (if memory serves correctly).

Otherwise, you can get the ninja pan/tilt bases, which are now on sale pretty reasonably ($16.99 each or less for a few).  You would know better than me if the mare would be startled by the camera moving.  They are very quiet, but do move the camera.  They come with a wireless remote, which has its distance limitations.  That Vanguard software will move the Ninja base with the pan/tilt on-screen buttons with the CM-19A USB device included in your package.

Good luck!
>!

carinrvt1

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:46:07 AM »

Thanks Nybuck!  This camera is supposed to be a wideangle lens...at least that's what it said on the instructions.  I think if I can get it a little bit higher and pull the arm on the camera back tight with the base I can see what I need too.  I really don't want to go thru the hassle of returning it.  I'll play with it tonight and see what I can do. :-\

nybuck

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 12:00:52 PM »

I read and re-read that ad, and it doesn't seem to say "wide angle".

I can tell a wide-angle lens by looking at it.  The glass lens is rounded in the middle, and kind of sticks out or is even with the black plastic around it.  The regular lens, by contrast: The lens is counter-sunk inside a black cone.  That's the best I can describe it, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

I looked at the ads, and can't seem to find a picture so that you can compare the two.    B:(

Maybe someone can help us out... 
>!

carinrvt1

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 12:10:53 PM »

Let me ask this....I have another camera that isn't able to hook up to my computer I think...it's wireless and on a different channel.  I can see the majority of the stall with that one.  What is the likely hood I could switch lenses OR (maybe far fetched) put it on the same channel and stream that?

nybuck

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 12:14:38 PM »

OK, look on this X10 Wiki page:
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Wireless_Cameras_199

The top picture shows a wide-angle lens.

The first picture on the bottom, where it says "Connect the Security Camera to its power supply and plug it into a power outlet."  - That is a standard lens.

I hope that helps!   ;D
>!

nybuck

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 12:17:48 PM »

Let me ask this....I have another camera that isn't able to hook up to my computer I think...it's wireless and on a different channel.  I can see the majority of the stall with that one.  What is the likely hood I could switch lenses OR (maybe far fetched) put it on the same channel and stream that?

If it is an X10 camera, they use the same 4 channels, A-D which are changed by removing the rubber plug in the base, and there's a switch there.

If it is another brand of camera, it MAY work on one of the 4 X10 channels, but that is a shot in the dark.   :-\

The X10 lenses may be interchangeable, but I woundn't bet on another brand's lens fitting.  They unscrew, and then it's a challenge to get them focused when you screw the new one in.

Also, if the receiver of the other camera is just a video-out [RCA] connector, you can just plug it into the USB video adapter you have (CM12A) and it should show on your Vanguard screen.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:19:41 PM by nybuck »
>!

carinrvt1

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 12:19:56 PM »

Thanks this helps! I'll compare lenses when I get home. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 11:52:55 AM »

http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx17a_ed_2999_1m_promo.html
Camera and power supply alone.
You have the receiver and other stuff from the package you bought.

carinrvt1

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 11:55:15 AM »

Thanks!  I got the unit I have now to work.  But I may go ahead and get the wide eye too. >!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 11:57:06 AM »

Glad you got the cameras to work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.