Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help troubleshooting CM15A  (Read 4658 times)

AndrewFH

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need help troubleshooting CM15A
« on: April 12, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »

I've got several x10 modules controlling the lights in my home. They all respond fine to commands from a transmitter (TM751) and from a mini-controller (IR543). However, I nothing responds to commands from my PC via a CM15A. As far as I can tell the CM15A works correctly. If I plug that CM15A and a lamp module onto the same power strip, the lamp module will respond to commands from the CM15A. But if I plug the CM15A into one outlet and the lamp module into another, the lamp module does not respond to commands.
Is it possible the CM15A is "bad" and just is not putting out a strong enough signal (or at least a less powerful signal than the TM751 or IR543)?
Any suggestions as to any other ways to test or troubleshoot?
Thanks.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Need help troubleshooting CM15A
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »

Is it possible the CM15A is "bad" and just is not putting out a strong enough signal (or at least a less powerful signal than the TM751 or IR543)?
Any suggestions as to any other ways to test or troubleshoot?
Thanks.
Yes it is possible but it could also be noise or phase coupling issues. Unplug the TM751 and move the CM15A from outlet to outlet in the home, as you use a remote to control lights...any better at other outlets? If so, it is more likely to be noise or coupling issues than a bad CM15A.

Good torubleshooting infomation is here in the forum and also here at JV Engineering:
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

AndrewFH

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:22:56 PM »

I've thought of your suggestion of moving the CM15A around the house. The problem with that is that it needs to be connected to the PC so it is not really something I can move from outlet to outlet. I've tried plugging the TM751 into the outlet where I plug the CM15A in and it works fine from there. If signal noise or phase coupling were the problem, I would think I would have the same problem using the TM751 in that outlet also.

systemdm

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:56:31 PM »

AndrewFH,
I was having similar problems and what worked for me was moving the CM15A to an outlet next to the breaker box.  They do make USB extenders by CAT-5.

http://www.buy.com/prod/usb-cat-5-5e-6-7-rj45-twisted-pair-extender-150-ft/q/listingid/42353494/loc/111/211080714.html

Good luck.... >!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 06:11:43 AM »

As a test only. The CM15A has a transceiver in it like the TM751. You could try it in the TM751s outlet with an X10 remote and see if it gets about the same coverage as the TM751.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 07:42:32 AM »

If signal noise or phase coupling were the problem, I would think I would have the same problem using the TM751 in that outlet also.
Yes except Brian H and others on the forum lucky enough to have nice oscilloscopes have confirmed that the CM15A has slightly lower PLC output compared to the TM751 or RR501, so you might still have a case of marginal noise...just great enough to swamp the CM15A. Although your testing could indicate a sub par CM15A, as you speculated, also.

As Brian pointed out, you do not need the CM15A connected to a computer to test the transceiver function. Just make sure you have the CM15A set up to transceive the proper House Codes before disconnecting.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.