Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15A And CFL interference  (Read 2234 times)

joesjunk

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A And CFL interference
« on: April 13, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »

I recently replaced my computer and had to replace the old computer interface with a CM15A. It will not work with any CLF light turned on. I also have a (non-amplifing) bridge installed in my breaker box.
SO, I have a few questions  ???:
1. Do I need a filter (XPPF) for each CFL light installed? Could get expensive.
2. Does the filter (XPPF) filter signals to the CLF or from the CFL?
3. If the CM15A in installed on one side of the 220 line and I install a XPCR bridge amp., will it amplify X10 signals on both sides of the 220 line? 
4. Does the XPCR REALLY need 2 dedicated breakers in the breaker box? If this is the case I will need to install a larger breaker box since all the breakers are used.
5. Any problems with LED lighting interference?

Thanks,
Joes Junk

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: CM15A And CFL interference
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »

1)  Not all CFLs interfere with X10 communication.  Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure which ones cause problems without some sort of test meter.  Noise is additive, so even though the trial and error method can identify particularly nasty noise generators, that may not catch all of them.  Those that are identified as noise generators should be isolated with XPPF filters.

2)  The XPPF blocks noise generated by the CFL from reaching the powerline.

3)  A repeater should boost the level of signals on both phases.

4)  The reason for two breakers is to be code compliant.  Most breaker terminals will not provide a positive contact to two wires.  You may be able to use half-width breakers to increase the number of circuits your distribution panel can handle.

5)  The worst noise source I have run across was actually a 120V 4W Lumoform LED light.  It seriously affected X10 control on its circuit even though that circuit has Leviton switches with AGC, and the house has a very strong signal level from the XTB.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: CM15A And CFL interference
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 04:48:08 PM »

$0.02

Don't bother with the XPCR unless cost is a seriously limiting factor. The XPCR is problematic. I have had two XPCRs and the Leviton equvalent and all were poo-poo, pee-pee, ca-ca (a technical description you may or may not be familliar with).

Although more expensive, the XTBIIR or the ACT234 are far better and more reliable. I have the ACT and want the XTBIIR  :D
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.