Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two different CM-15A's, two different reception issues for Wireless Cams  (Read 4267 times)

captainjerky

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Just a quick note from the News of the Weird today that I thought might interest someone:
I have 2 CM-15A's, one old one that has polarized plugs and rated at 3 watts, and one new one, non polarized and rated at 6 watts.  I did an antenna mod (clipped off top of old antenna, twisted onto the antenna wire another piece of wire 38" long.  RF range at least tripled!) and plugged them back in.  One went in the living room, the other was attached to my PC for running Iwatchout and Onalert.   I needed to do this in order to reliably get camera signals for my XX20 wireless cams as well as being able to see all the DS-10 sensors in my security setup.
Well, after the swap, my camera signals were trashed.  Completely!  I spent a day wracking my brain and cursing everything I could think of, when I finally figured it out.  When I plugged the new 6 watt CM15 into my PC, everything was fine.  When I plugged the old CM15 into the PC, the RF interference was so bad I couldn't use my cameras. 
I don't know how or why this would happen, but I assume it's something to do with the antenna mod, though I don't get why the mod causes reception issues with one and not the other.  Both work fine for powerline commands, and receive RF from motion sensors great as well.  I'm pretty sure it also scrambled my wireless network, since when I woke up to these problems my wireless was offline and required a hard reset of the router.  Now, I must just pray this solution remains effective!!
And for those with reception issues, I will tell you my house of a house of horrors for X10 signals.  It's 2800 sq ft, no filters, repeaters, phase coupler, I have a Wii, b/g wireless network, 2.4 Ghz phones, and my PC running everything is in a rat's nest of cables and gear plus another PC as well.
Now, on to the next problem!

Thanks again for all who give great suggestions- you've all been lifesavers!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.