Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Installation Question  (Read 5929 times)

Valiis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New Installation Question
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:06:15 PM »

So i recently purchased a package from the website with the USB controller...all the software...and also purchased some light switches.

My goal is to be able to manage all our lights in the house with macros.

Once i got the switches installed, everything was working fine.

A little later though, i noticed that if i turned the switch on at the wall..and went to look at the software that the software was not updating to show the switch was on.

I can turn all the switches on and off by the software...but the software doesn't seem to be getting updates as to the on/off status of devices.

Is this not a feature of the X10 switches?  Or have I not configured something correctly?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: New Installation Question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:26:55 PM »

We need more information to help you.   Is this a new purchase of Active Home Professional (AHP) with the CM15A USB interface?  What model of modules did you get?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 05:41:54 PM »

Is this not a feature of the X10 switches?  Or have I not configured something correctly?

Generally speaking (typing).... standard switches don't report.. nor can they even be polled. So (in most cases) the CM15A won't be aware of manual changes in the lights status. What light switches did you purchase?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:44:02 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »

Generally speaking (typing).... standard switches don't report.. nor can they even be polled. So (in most cases) the CM15A won't be aware of manual changes in the lights status. What light switches did you purchase?

They are not two-way communicating switches....This is the same problem I have, but I have put the MS14a motion sensors near the switches, so local use of them is less and less. I also have remotes (hr12a) scattered on key end tables....

If you would like to positively track the local usage of the switch, you will need a more expensive switch:
Dimmer:
http://www.smarthome.com/2476D/SwitchLinc-Dimmer-INSTEON-Remote-Control-Dimmer-White/p.aspx
Relay:
http://www.smarthome.com/2476S/SwitchLinc-Relay-INSTEON-Remote-Control-On-Off-Switch-Non-Dimming-White/p.aspx

The idea here is home automation, not home by local control, or home by remote control.

Automation, like robotics, requires sensors (like motion sensors), a processing unit (AHP), and actuators (switches).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:20:00 PM by pomprocker »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »

You could also use the Icon versions of the switches pomprocker mentioned. They are slightly less expensive and have less features.

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 07:57:40 PM »

I had the same questions when I started my X10 system.  If you are going to have some switches that will be controlled locally on a regular basis and you want them to update on the computer, I would go with the XPT style switches with in-line wired in modules.  The XPT switches are actually a transmitter only and do not actually have the lights wired into them which is why you would use a wired in module to do the actual control of the light or appliance.  The nice thing about the XPT switches is that you can control up to 4 devices from one switch in a single gang box. 

The XPT switches are a little more expensive because you actually buy 2 parts.  The first part is the transmitter base which is needed for any XPT install.  The second part is the keypad.  There are several different keypad combinations to choose from which makes them pretty flexible.  I have a couple of the XPT switches and they have a better tactile feel than the standard X10 switches.

In places where you would do more automation of the attached devices, I would go with standard X10 switches as they are cheaper.  You just have to remember that your CM15A will not be notified when locally controlled.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Valiis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:52:57 PM »

I have the CM15A with Active home Pro and the switches are RWS17 and WS 4777.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 05:56:10 AM »

Those model switches will not send anything back on the power line for the CM15A to update with.

Few thoughts. The Insteon and Icon switches mentioned handle local dimming differently with an X10 signal. They dim when the paddle is used but send a %dim command when released. AHP does not know how to handle a %dim and will not update on a dim or brighten.
They also need a AC power Neutral wire in the switch box. The mentioned XPT would also need a Neutral power wire to work.

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 05:23:52 PM »

Few thoughts. The Insteon and Icon switches mentioned handle local dimming differently with an X10 signal. They dim when the paddle is used but send a %dim command when released. AHP does not know how to handle a %dim and will not update on a dim or brighten.

With that in thought Brian H, how does the ICON relay wall switches as well as any of the other relay type Insteon switches behave in respect to AHP responding to its remote function. So if someone manually used the switch, does AHP see that and then respond accordingly.

And what type of switch selection would you use in AHP to represent an Insteon switch in an X10 circuit.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 07:14:33 PM »

Using my test setup. I tested a 2876SB Icon Relay Switch Rev.1.1 and a 2876DB Dimmer Switch Rev 1.1. With AHP Version 3.228 and a Smarthome 1132CU controller with Smarthome Manager Essentials for signal logging.
Added an X10 address to both.

For the relay switch I called it a Lamp Fluorescent Decorator. AHP saw changed states with the local paddle actuation and could send an X10 on and off to control it fine.

The Icon Dimmer Switch was not so compatible.
I tried a few choices. Like the Decorator Light Switch and even the work around for soft start LM14A Lamp Module.
AHP could turn it on and off.
Using the local paddle to turn it on or off also registered fine on AHP as off sent an Address Off and On sent an address On command.
If you dimmed or brightened from the local paddle it sent a %dim that AHP didn't understand and AHP using the dimmer slider sent commands the Icon didn't respond to.
Now if you dimmed up to 100% locally it sent an On signal that AHP saw and locally down to 0% sent an Off command that AHP saw.
So On and off is fine. Dimming does not work with AHP and an Icon Dimmer.

Since the SwitchLinc Relay and SwitchLinc Dimmer are the same as Icons with higher ratings and a few added features. They would also act the same way the Icons did.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:23:14 PM by Brian H »

BaBaLou.

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 09:08:13 PM »

That is good to hear so far. :)%

You did mention using the Smarthome controller.
In my setup I do use the XTB-IIR as well as the WGL Transceiver and was hoping to add Insteon ICON relay switches, don't really need any dimmer options for my setup. All this due to the heap of CFL bulbs at most of the house setup.

Which then raises the question to the compatibility of the insteon ICON with CFL bulbs and would I expect similar results, of which is not really a problem in my present setup?

I do use the XPT modules with 4 buttons in a few locations and as dbemowsk mentioned, it does give me the results I am trying to achieve, but I would like to try and add Insteon to my setup as well and have a real switch doing the job instead of a wall transmitter.

BaBaLou.

ps. I hear the "Click" of an ICON is nothing like the loudness of the X10 XPS relay switch but can be compared to a standard Decora wall switch of which is not automated.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:17:24 PM by BaBaLou. »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 06:32:10 AM »

The 1132CU was my X10 controller before I went to Insteon. My original CM15A was first run and had all kinds of bugs. Smarthome has not updated the software for the new Daylight Savings Time Dates or Vista and Windows 7. Call it Legacy though I believe it is still being sold. Used mostly now for monitoring for X10 signals when I am testing something.

My Insteon network is on a Universal Devices ISY99i controller and by most folks tastes expensive.

Still have a RR501 Tranceiver for my HR12A Palm Pad and UR19A Remote. Every Insteon device also has an X10 address added as I like to have 16 buttons on the Palm pad control individual modules. There is no 16 button Insteon remote; chime module or Touch Tone Responder. I also have a XTB-IIR in the house.

I have CFLs in all my fixtures controlled by SwitchLincs Relay and Table Lamps controlled by ApplianceLincs with no problems.
The Icon version should also be fine with CFLs as it is basically a SwitchLinc with less bells and whistles.
The Icon Relay or SwitchLinc Relay type switches do respond to an X10 On and Off and send a signal back on the power line when locally activated. That means you could also have an X10 module set to the same address and the switch would also control it.

I did one more test and found the relay and dimmer version respond to an X10 All Units Off. The dimmer version also responds to an X10 All Lights On and a bright or dim from an X10 remote.

They are quiet as they do not use the ratchet switch. They have a relay in them that is turned on and off by its circuitry. They remember their on or off state after a power loss. Yes they do sound about the same as the click of a Decorator switch.

One thing some folks find annoying. Is the LED Bargraph on the SwitchLinks or single LED on the Icons. They can be bright in dark situations. I used the optional Blue LED pipes in mine.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:48:51 AM by Brian H »

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 11:55:35 AM »

Brian, Thanks for the description of your setup. I always wonder about others setups.  >!

BaBaLou.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:27:06 PM »

Many thanks for the info,

Now my hope of a slow transition with Insteon into my X10 family is becoming a reality. :)%
My basement completion project, 4 years in the making is at a near completion, not too near thou, and the chance of investment into a half dozen ICON switches is a good balance for WAF, gotta get the basement done as she has lately showed her insistence. It has come to the point of no more toys until its done.

The X10 has done well for all applications I have assigned them too, but the need for remote sensing, a little better quality/quieter Click/traditional rocker action and don't even mind the little LED, was the choice I was looking for. The XPT still is a great choice for me but the XPS3 needed to be upgraded.

Very much appreciate the responce and most definitely noted the "Helpfull" for you.
Thanks.
BaBaLou. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:33:48 PM by BaBaLou. »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.