Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: USB Interface - disconnects due to Firefox??  (Read 6307 times)

Barry_IA

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
USB Interface - disconnects due to Firefox??
« on: April 27, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »

Hi Folks!

Lately (I have no idea when it started) ActiveHome Pro will not see the USB Interface -- unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable fixes the problem for a while.  Visual symptom is the Battery Status indicator is off.  Everything seems to be working normally otherwise.

I have updated the driver a couple of times -- Windows says there is no update available while ParetoLogic's DriveCure does do an update.   The USB Hub's LED indicates the USB Interface is present, as does Windows XP Pro SP3  Device Manager.

This morning did a bit of testing: appears when I run Firefox (is at the current version) that causes the 'disconnect'.  Short version:  rebooted after driver update, ActiveHome finds the USB Interface just fine.  Close AHP.  Run a few suspect utilities, AHP finds the USB Interface just fine.  Run Firefox (and close); AHP can't find the USB Interface.  Unplug. plug in cable -- works.  Close AHP, make a few tests -- still continues to work fine.  Open Firefox - AHP can't find the USB Interface.

Firefox may just be a trigger mechanism, or one of the Add-ons I have, but have no idea where and how to proceed to fix the problem.

TIA!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: USB Interface - disconnects due to Firefox??
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 01:10:47 PM »

This morning did a bit of testing: appears when I run Firefox (is at the current version) that causes the 'disconnect'.  ........... Unplug. plug in cable -- works.  Close AHP, make a few tests -- still continues to work fine.  Open Firefox - AHP can't find the USB Interface.

Firefox may just be a trigger mechanism, or one of the Add-ons I have, but have no idea where and how to proceed to fix the problem.

I've never heard of that problem with Firefox and the CM15A. Thanks for the heads up! You should also let the folks at Firefox know... that would likely be the source of any fix. However... I do know of at least a couple users of both the AHP/CM15A and Firefox.. that haven't mentioned any problems.

Keep us informed.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Barry_IA

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »

Hi Dave_x10_L!

I'll inquire with the Mozilla folks.  Your reply also suggests the problem may be more with Firefox than the ActiveHome software.  (I had performed searches here before posting - thought maybe I had overlooked a fix.)

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:48:42 PM »

I use Firefox and have not detected any problems.  What add-ons do you have for firefox?  I would disable one at a time and see if that makes a difference.  If you find the problem please post back and let us know.   Good Luck! 
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

dbemowsk

• PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 06:11:21 PM »

I am a computer hardware technician and the problem to me sounds like you are plugging this device into an un-powered (no external transformer) USB hub.  Some USB devices can tend to draw too much power and cannot be used with an un-powered USB hub.  Another thing that can happen is that if another device on the hub is used intermittently by the system, the excess power draw from that or other devices can then kick out the CM15A.   If your USB hub has a DC input jack, you may want to find a transformer to power it.  I think these are typically 5 volt devices.  The other solution is to plug it into a USB port on the computer and not go through the hub.  If all of your USB ports are used, you may want to swap a device from one of the computers USB ports over to the hub and plug the CM15A in to that port.

Try running your firefox tests after resolving the USB port issue.  I have a feeling they will go away, but I could be wrong.  I have seen stranger things.

Hope that helps
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »

Since the CM15A has an internal power supply and does not power through the USB Port The +5 volt pins has no connection to it inside the CM15A. I am not sure that will make a difference. Though going through a hub and not directly to a computer USB port may make a difference.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:50:54 PM »

I use firefox and cm15a's. never a problem.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Barry_IA

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 06:48:09 PM »

Hi Folks!

Thanks for the replies! The suggestion to disable one Firefox Add-on at a time is a good one -- will have to try later.  I have also posted to the Firefox Forum on this problem, though as of this writing have not viewed their replies.

The Firefox Add-ons I have loaded (wonder if I can get rid of a few?!) are:

Clipta Toolbar
    Download Helper
    Easy YouTube Downloader
    IE View
    Java Console  (several)
    Java Quick Starter
    Launchy
    MediaPlayerConnectivity
    Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
    Update Notifier
    User Agent Switcher
    WOT (Web of Trust)  – added well after the problem began

Might start with disabling those which could go to a USB device (like the downloaders) -- WAG: if they could go to a USB device they might be screwing up the connectivity to the X10 Interface.

I did perform another little experiment: if ActiveHome Pro is opened before Firefox then the connectivity remains.  Just retried with Firefox opening before ActiveHome Pro and AHP lost the USB Interface. 

(demowsk's post)  The X10 USB interface is (and has been) connected to a powered USB Hub.  No changes there.  Well, I did change which port the Interface's cable was plugged in to but this was when I started experimenting with how to regain the connectivity.  ...I don't think I added anything (USB device) to cause the instability.

Brian H suggested "going through a hub and not directly to a USB computer port".  I understand what he is suggesting but it used to work properly -- in fact I think the USB Interface has always been connected through a port here.

dbemowsk

• PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 06:57:18 PM »

Brian H suggested "going through a hub and not directly to a USB computer port".  I understand what he is suggesting but it used to work properly -- in fact I think the USB Interface has always been connected through a port here.

I would still try going directly to a computer USB port to rule it out.  I have seen many devices, USB hubs included that flake out on some devices.  The thing with electronics is that it can work one minute and fail the next. 
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Barry_IA

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »

Hi Dan!

Oh, that never happens to me! <smirk>  B:(       Will try and report back!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 08:38:43 PM »

I always have every interface, from the CP290 to the CM15A ALWAYS connected to the PC, from the day X10 came into our lives.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Barry_IA

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 08:04:01 PM »

Hi Dan!

Haven't tried that suggestion yet (Interface direct to the computer) but will, hopefully this weekend or early next week (working the weekend).  [It's not that easy to get to the back of the computer.]

FWIW I tried using Internet Express (once) and the Interface remained connected/detected.  Tried with Firefox and disconnected/not found.  Disabled some more of Firefox's Add-ons and the Interface stayed connected!!  Unfortunately repeated tests didn't always give the same results -- should also repeat the one using Internet Express.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 09:18:20 PM »

Internet Express?  Do you mean Internet Explorer (or as it's sometimes referred to "Internet EXPLODER")?  Getting to the back of the PC is not hard, you can shut the PC down, drag the case out from the desk, plug the USB cable to the CM15A into a USB port, put the case back, plug the USB cable into the CM15A, and reboot the PC.   Windows should discover the CM15 as "X10 USB ActiveHome (ACPI-compliant) - that's the CM15A!   
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 11:11:01 PM »

Internet Express?  Do you mean Internet Explorer

It could be... that the reason IE is working is because it hasn't been updated yet (a little MS humor).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

MichaelHlubb

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 12:23:12 AM »

a not so dumb question here, does the firefox version that you're using happen to be the Firefox Portable version? It's made to look at USB drivers, so that's why I'm asking.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.