Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New X10 user here..  (Read 2760 times)

Cobe

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New X10 user here..
« on: April 25, 2010, 06:37:25 AM »

Hi guys..I was thinking of buying this X10 system for my home but I just cant see how it controls everything. According to the video and what I have read all I need is the X10 hardware connected to my computer and the software installed and it starts working.. Dont I have to wire anything up to the electrics? i mean how does this pick up my lights/Garage door and so on?

Thanks,
Mike

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: New X10 user here..
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:52:41 AM »

Welcome to the forums.
X10 basically controls things by sending a signal on the power line. To modules that plug in and wired in devices like wall switches. Among other things. They can be controlled by the computer setup most likely the Active Home Pro CM15A with software. You can also get plug in controllers like the Maxi Controller or RF from a remote through a transceiver. Security and video are also things that can be integrated into an X10 system.
X10 is not 100% plug and play for some users. As power line signals can be effected by things that make noise or absorb signals. Just about everone here has experience in getting things working if you have issues. You may not.
Below are a few link to added information that may help you find data on X10.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.x10.com/support/support.htm
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=l2v2t8pnj3cr5fgm3ej6i3igm3&topic=19252.msg107493#new
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-solutions.com/PCC/uncle.htm

So yes you have to add more than just the computer interface and software to control things. Table Lamps for example could be used with a Lamp Module or Appliance Module. If the bulbs are CFL or Low Voltage then the nondimming Appliance Module would be correct.
Overhead lights maybe controlled by X10 wall switches that replace the existing ones. Again if the lights are CFL there are nondimming ones that should work.
Garage Door position maybe with a PowerFlash module that sends an On when a switch is closed and an Off when a switch is opened could be used with a magnetic switch. A Universal Module could pulse the existing garage door openers local control switch.
You could also use things like a Palm Pad Remote through a TM751 or RR501 Tranceiver to turn things on and off remotely.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 09:17:37 AM by Brian H »

adamsdaddy

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: New X10 user here..
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:17:22 AM »

Hey Cobe, I'm a newbie too and these guys are great.  Read the forums.  Just take some time and do your research.  I've only just started with the whole x10 thing and I will slowly be adding to the house, about $20-$40 a month, until the whole house is done.  Here are my suggestions on questions you want answered:

1 - You are probably going to check out how the computer works with the system.  Know what you have.  Do you run Windows 7, Vista, XP or something older.  Don't just buy, look and ask.  Do you have a serial port on your computer?  I got a firecracker serial interface, then looked at the laptop.  I didn't have a way to plug it in to the laptop.  Simple things like that will get you frustrated as you start trying things out.

2 - Not everything works in my house.  Read the sites but I run into the typical problem of one side of my breaker box doesn't talk to the other side of the breaker box.  This is very common from what I have read.  If you are handy you can add a device to your breaker box for around $20ish dollars.  If you are not electronically inclined, you can buy a device that bridges the problem by plugging into your dryer plug.  It's around $70ish dollars.  I was able to figure out my problem early.  I had my Transceiver plugged into the living room.  Worked great in the living room and hallway but would not run my appliance device in the bathroom or kitchen.  I plug the transceiver in the bathroom and the kitchen would work but not the living room.  I looked at the breaker box and sure enough, they are not on the same phase.  This will be the first "fix" I do for the house before I purchase any more items.

3 - Do you use regular lights or CFL lights (the squiggley ones they are trying to get us to buy to replace the old ones).  You cannot dim CFL bulbs.  Don't try.  90% of my house uses CFL bulbs (they are much cheaper to use).  I only have a handful of regular bulbs for the dimming light in the living room when we watch movies.  Use appliance modules for these if you plug into the wall.  You can search for other devices but my research takes me back to lamp modules for regular incandescent lights and appliance modules for CFL lights.

4 - I love the cheap $10 x10 remote (UR74A).  My whole x10 world started because of this item.  I have 5 remotes and the wife hates it.  I was looking for a cheap learning remote.  I found a few at Walmart but I came across the UR74A online and saw the x10 button.  I did my research on what it did and here I am.  Ultimately I wanted to have 1 button,the SAT button in my case, control my most basic functions.  I setup the SAT button to turn on the TV and volume, control the channels and special buttons for my comcast remote and run the DVD play/stop/pause buttons.  It took a little while to get the hang of it but I was able to setup each and every button exactly the way I wanted it to go.  I was impressed for a $10 remote.  Even if you don't get into anymore x10, try the remote out.  Even the wife was happy with it.

There are many more things to talk about but these are the very beginning things I've dealt with over the past month.  Everyone here has been helpful.  Just look around, ask questions and be patient.  You can get all your questions answered and find great deals on eBay and other places.  Have fun.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.