Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rain8 1 way or 2 way  (Read 8828 times)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Rain8 1 way or 2 way
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 03:56:30 AM »

dbemowsk:
Suggestions for additional features:
1. Don't turn your nose up at optionally programming the unit via an RS232 (or LAN) port.  Once you have a relatively complex irrigation schedule worked out, downloading it (or reading it from a file), making changes to it, and re-uploading the whole thing is easier and less prone to error.  Pushing buttons on an LED console sounds cool but gets old pretty quickly for complex schedules.
2. All programmable parameters stored in non-volatile memory.
3. Option to limit the number of zones that are simultaneously "On" (for water pressure, pump, or 24V transformer limitations).
4. Support for the X10 status_request command so the state of a zone can be independently determined at any time.
5. Option for the 2-way feedback to be either On/Off for simple-minded software like AHP or Status_On/Status_Off for more advanced software.
6. Ability to disable the programmed schedule by X10 command (similar to disabling by the rain gauge).
7. Ability to interrupt an active irrigation cycle at any time by X10 command.
8. Ability to restart the irrigation cycle at any zone at any time by X10 command.
9. Some sort of feedback signal when the clock battery is low (or dead) unless it's a rechargeable battery kept charged by the 24V.
10. Ability to connect slave units for more zones.  (Tip: Keep the pump control simple - don't attempt dual functionality as an additional zone.)
11. Mechanical ability to easily disconnect from wiring and bring unit to another location for programming.  (E.g., I would have to install the unit in my crawl space, but don't want to spend a lot of time under there programming the unit.)
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 12:22:56 PM »

If anyone can think of any other useful options that I may have missed in the above outline, feel free to chime in. 

I don't like the idea of having to plug in both a transformer and a TW523.

The current rainbird timer I have is all enclosed in a nice case that is mounted in the garage just above the light switch and is hard wired with romex cables coming out of the nearest receptacle through some conduit.

I haven't removed the timer to look behind it in the box, but maybe there is a hidden receptacle and 24vac transformer behind it that I'm not seeing.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »

If anyone can think of any other useful options that I may have missed in the above outline, feel free to chime in. 

I don't like the idea of having to plug in both a transformer and a TW523.

The current rainbird timer I have is all enclosed in a nice case that is mounted in the garage just above the light switch and is hard wired with romex cables coming out of the nearest receptacle through some conduit.

I haven't removed the timer to look behind it in the box, but maybe there is a hidden receptacle and 24vac transformer behind it that I'm not seeing.

There has got to be a 24V transformer in there somewhere - you can't run irrigation valves on 120V.  It's possible but unlikely the transformer is built into the timer box.

I suspect Rainbird would have a hard time selling timers which legally require a licensed electrician to install or replace.

Let us know what you find out when you remove the cover from the timer box.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 06:41:31 PM »

Charles is correct.  All the irrigation valves that I have seen run off of a 24 volt AC transformer.  The rain8 units run from a 24 volt AC transformer and a TW523.  I bet if you put a  volt meter on your valve outputs when your system is on that you will see 24 volts AC.  Your unit must have a built in transformer.

What model is your controller?
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brandt

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 07:16:21 PM »

What model is your controller?

I can't find one, it just says Rainbird EZ

but the instructions on the rainbird website show a built in transformer

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:27:55 PM by Brandt »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 06:40:53 AM »

Yes I also saw the Manual on the Rainbird site for the EZ1D.
It does have a power transformer in it.
I also noticed it came with a 220 Volt transformer. So you may want to check what line voltage is running the system.
It also shows a dual secondary transformer. Both a 9.5 and 24.5 volt AC to the control board.
On the board the top three connections on the terminal block are the transformer inputs. Maybe you can follow the wires back to the transformer.
The instructions are not to clear but it looks like the transformer, AC wiring and terminals for the valves are on the back of the control panel. It may rotate open or snap open for access.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:23:49 AM by Brian H »

Brandt

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 10:44:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.