Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: K.I.S.S Water Detector  (Read 26006 times)

systemdm

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
K.I.S.S Water Detector
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »

Hope this helps someone avoid the damage this caused.

I wanted something simple to detect if my hot water tank started leaking.   Using a DS10A and a sponge from Trader Joe's worked.   I used a couple of tablespoons of water poured on the plate.  Once the water made contact with the sponge, the sponge expanded and tripped the sensor. 

>!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: K.I.S.S Water Detector
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:56:53 AM »

Cool! That's a good idea; especially for those who are not into building (or even buying) electrical solutions.
A helpful from me.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:07:02 AM »

What a unique way to sense a water leak.
Helpful from me also.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:09:09 AM »

Same here with the helpful.  This is a great way to think outside the box for an X10 solution.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 07:53:06 AM »

I like it.......with a little modification it could signal time for a diaper change.  (not quite there yet)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:55:52 AM »

Quick, easy, and rock solid reliable. I like it. It is helpful.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

systemdm

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 10:43:53 AM »

Well I can't take all the credit.   My girlfriend told me about the compressed sponge.... :'

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 12:14:50 PM »

Hey, Team effort counts.

This "geniusness" reminds me of an old construction article in the ancient "Popular Mechanics". This back yard engineer put two thumbtacks with wire wrapped under them,  in the ends of a wooden, spring style, clothes pin. He wired the clothes pin thumbtacks to the DOWN switch on his Edsel Convertible (1959) top switch. He then suspended a funnel over the thumbtack end of the clothes pin and sandwiched an aspirin tablet between the thumbtacks. If it started to rain the funnelled water running over the aspirin would dissolve it, allowing the thumbtacks to touch,  thus lowering his convertible top. Like the K.I.S.S. Water Detector it had to be "reloaded" after each use.
I love this stuff!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:18:33 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 04:49:36 PM »

I think easier setup than this is to tape the two leads from the ds10a to the area (assuming it is not metal)

Another method i've heard is two leads from a smoke detector, and when the leads make contact due to water the smoke alarm will sound.

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 05:30:51 PM »

Super Smart!

Helpful from me!

#:)
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 09:43:23 PM »

#:) Interesting idea!  A helpful from me.
  >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

systemdm

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 11:36:57 PM »

Pomprocker, investigating this, I read somewhere that would not work.  I checked this out by touching the wires together and getting the LED blink.  Dipping the wires into water had no such luck.  Also you can check this out by dipping the leads of a volt meter into water.  Surprisingly this not a direct short.  I measured  resistance(maybe California water)  Let me know if you find out different.  I did find the smoke alarm water detector, but I wanted something that would intergrate into X10.

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 12:05:28 AM »

Pomprocker, investigating this, I read somewhere that would not work. 

As I understand it..... when closed (normal state not triggered or open) the DS10A does monitor resistance. I would guess this makes the sensor more tamper proof. There is a "leaf" board (water detection device) that can work with the DS10A. It has been discussed at the CocoonTech forum... here:  http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15489&hl=DS10a+water+detection

And here at this forum from Puckhttp://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=12763.msg70887#msg70887

I only know of what I've read about this.... I've never tried it. I like systemdms idea.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:31:57 AM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 08:04:08 AM »

Pomprocker, investigating this, I read somewhere that would not work.  I checked this out by touching the wires together and getting the LED blink.  Dipping the wires into water had no such luck.  Also you can check this out by dipping the leads of a volt meter into water.  Surprisingly this not a direct short. 

No, the DS10 is a closed loop alarm, so as Dave X10 pointed out, it wants to see a short circuit across the sensor wires as the Normal state and an Open causes the alarm. Exactly opposite of a water detector sensor. Besides, water is only as conductive as the minerals in it (i.e. distilled water has virtually no conductivity). So you would need some type of an amplifier and inverter circuit to interface to a DS10.

The sponge activated water detector is a brilliant idea because it gives the DS10 exactly what it wants to see: an OPEN circuit when wet, and it is cheap.

The high tech, hacking opportunity, expensive solution follows:

If Amazon ever gets these gizmos back in stock, they can directly interface with a PowerFlash by hacking the unit to wire the "Battery-Powered Water Leak Sensor Alarm" piezo beeper to the PowerFlash input.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Powered-Water-Sensor-Alarm-5-pack/dp/B000CBVI9E

A DS10 can probably be adapted to these "Battery-Powered Water Leak Sensor Alarm", if the piezo beeper is activated with a continuous DC voltage (typical). A small, SPDT or DPDT reed relay could be used to invert the signal and provide an Open to the DS10.

Found them at Smarthome.com
http://www.smarthome.com/71635/Water-Warning-Leak-Detection-Alarm-5-Pack/p.aspx
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:20:17 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 08:48:43 AM »

......... A DS10 can probably be adapted to these "Battery-Powered Water Leak Sensor Alarm", if the piezo beeper is activated with a continuous DC voltage (typical). A small, SPDT or DPDT reed relay could be used to invert the signal and provide an Open to the DS10.

There is that thread here: DS10A Modification for Interfacing to a Normally Open Switch A reversal mod by Puck.

This is what is great about X10. The devices are extensively used and very well known (and cheap to buy). Searching (and reading) here, at other forums, and the Internet in general... provides a wealth of information. Yet even with what seemed to be an already exhausted variety of modifications and add-on devices for water detection systemdm (and his girlfriend) comes up with even one more option.

And... its a mod anyone can do in a couple of minutes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:53:59 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.