Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My first automated lighting ,Shop.  (Read 12579 times)

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
My first automated lighting ,Shop.
« on: May 06, 2010, 09:03:19 PM »

I have a bad habit of leaving  one or both of my shop lights on and as the shop is 100 feet from my house at times I get very annoyed having to put shoes on and making the trip down there and back especially if it happens to be raining or very cold.

Two Eagle Eye MS14A sensors , one TM751 Mini transceiver and two Appliance Modules AM 466 .

One Appliance Module controls a two tube 4Ft fluorescence over the bench and a duel 8 Ft. ceiling fluorescence Another appliance module is used to power my soldering irons so I do not leave on by mistake. Two Eagle Eyes cover the shop from corner to corner so to speak.

Not much of a setup but I believe it will serve me well. My son is over visiting and just so happens he went down to the shop as I was typing this and it worked like a charm.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 09:53:08 PM by everydayflyer »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: My first automated lighting ,Shop.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:19:07 AM »

I have a bad habit of leaving  one or both of my shop lights on and as the shop is 100 feet from my house at times I get very annoyed having to put shoes on and making the trip down there and back especially if it happens to be raining or very cold.

Two Eagle Eye MS14A sensors , one TM751 Mini transceiver and two Appliance Modules AM 466 .

One Appliance Module controls a two tube 4Ft fluorescence over the bench and a duel 8 Ft. ceiling fluorescence Another appliance module is used to power my soldering irons so I do not leave on by mistake. Two Eagle Eyes cover the shop from corner to corner so to speak.

Not much of a setup but I believe it will serve me well. My son is over visiting and just so happens he went down to the shop as I was typing this and it worked like a charm.

If you are using the Eagle Eyes as occupancy sensors, I'd be _very_ concerned about the the lights turning off in the middle of some precision work where you aren't moving around enough for the sensors to detect the motion, especially if dangerous power tools might be involved.

I'd opt instead for an X10 controller in the house to manually operate the lights in the shop, and possibly a timer macro to automatically shut off the lights at midnight or other time when you know you won't be using the shop.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: My first automated lighting ,Shop.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 07:57:35 AM »

Thanks for the concern however that is the reason for two sensors and at this point in time a 16 min. delayed off setting. It is rare for me to spend more than around 5 minutes in one spot and even with a 4 min. off delay I only had them to time out once yesterday.

This is a work in progress however and yes I do have the option of controlling the lights from my house with a Palm Pad and I have allready verified that this also works well and will be a backup if I find it necessary to go to a much longer delay setting.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.