Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seeking comments on the durability of the ZC15A PAN 'N TILT BASE  (Read 2811 times)

NinjaNewbie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I recently purchased the VK74A NINJA PAN 'n TILT camera mount base with remote control. I didn't bother to buy a camera because I actually bought the Ninja to steer a WI-FI antenna known as a YAGI.  Anyway, the base unit (the ZC15A PAN 'N TILT BASE) will not respond to the remote control. Also, the base unit is acting like it has a mind of its own. Every 15 seconds or so the unit appears to be trying to rotate on its own but it doesn't actually rotate very far (I suppose vibrating without really moving is the best way to describe what it is doing). That said, the gears that allow this base to pan & tilt actually do work. I say this because I turned off the power and rotated the bottom of the base manually about 180 degrees. Then I turned the power back and the unit rotated back to the spot where I started turning it. Also, when I manually tilted the base (either up or down) and then turned the power back on the unit would immediately move back to a horizontal position.

Was I simply unlucky or is this something (i.e. receiving a defective unit) that happens to people frequently?  The reason that I am asking this question is that I would like to buy another Ninja (currently on sale here for $17); however, I would be pretty upset if I received another lemon and had to pay to ship it back.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Seeking comments on the durability of the ZC15A PAN 'N TILT BASE
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:35:26 AM »

So if you move the assembly off of its center position with no power and then power it up. It will center with the antenna on it. So it is probably not over loaded mechanically. As the Ninja doesn't have the most robust motor and gear set.

Though it will not move with the Remote Commands and sounds like it maybe oscillating.

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:07:17 AM »

They're not very strong. The cameras must be very light. I put a microphone on one and it works but you can get it into a position where it can't "lift" the load. I don't have any problem with pan just tilt in my application.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

NinjaNewbie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:09:07 PM »

Thanks guys for replying.

Seems to me like chip inside my unit is defective. The YAGI antenna that I planned on putting on top of this unit is very lightweight and I wouldn't be actually panning or tilting the base all that often. I suppose am more worried about receiving another lemon than anything else.  Don't know why they are selling for so cheap right now (unless the company is simply trying to get rid of old inventory).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 06:22:04 AM »

I have seen no indications of why many of the X10 models are being sold at a low price.

I know that some kits where broken up so the main part is cheaper, but if you order all the accessories that the old kit had. The price comes out the same.

Like if all you needed was a replacement CM15A. The $29.99 basic CM15A; with no plug ins; was a deal over the $49.99 total package.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.