Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you control your IR devices.  (Read 7360 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
How do you control your IR devices.
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:03:28 PM »

I recently read a post where someone was asking about controlling devices that use IR. Most newer devices just can't be "left ON" then controlled by an appliance module. They require an On button or signal after power is applied. But more and more devices can be controlled using IR remotes... just like TV's.

Well as the weather warmed here and we pulled out our electric fans. I realized here was a new device I could control-automate using my BVC and the USB-UIRT device. Three of our fans have IR remotes (one boxfan still has the old style knob on top). Setup was quick and easy. It got me thinking... wondering... what is everyone else doing to automate these kind of devices. I know some devices can be conrolled using the VCR Commander(s)... I've done that. 

Using BVC and its USB-UIRT I distrubite the IR signals using PowerMids. So even though my Home Automation Computer is in my basement I have no problems controlling my upstairs TV (or fan). I can operate my IR devices using automation devices (like with my Automated Chair), timers, conditional macros (in AHP), X10 remotes, the Icon remote, even regular IR remotes.... or of course even Voice Command.

I made a short YouTube Video to show exactly how I automated the control of an IR fan.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:13:24 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: How do you control your IR devices.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »

Very cool. I have my HA server in the garage.

- Are you aware of the level of linux support for the USB-UIRT? I read that it works with LIRC...

- I don't own any Powermids. Are they receiver and transmitter? or two way? They come in pairs? Would you need 3 powermids by the USB-UIRT for every remote device location?

-Too bad the USB-UIRT and powermid can't be combined into one device...

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »

Very cool. I have my HA server in the garage.
A good place for one. Mine is on a shelving unit in my basement office. My CM15A is also located in the basement... not the best location but with the antenna mod.. it works great.
Are you aware of the level of linux support for the USB-UIRT? I read that it works with LIRC...
I don't know. At the Site where mine is sold the seller states: "the firmware/plugin/schematic are not currently open-source". I would take that as a no.
I don't own any Powermids. Are they receiver and transmitter? or two way? They come in pairs? Would you need 3 powermids by the USB-UIRT for every remote device location?
The PowerMids are sender and receiver only. And... if they can see each other... they can "loop" or feedback. The little plug-in emitters can help.. I think. However... don't forget about the Icon, Nstinct, and IR543. They all offer options. It may even be possible to extent the usb-uirt using a CAT5 extender.

Brandt

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 06:41:23 PM »

Looking at this again, too bad the USBUIRT is not USBRFT, then I wouldn't need a bunch of powermids gathered around it.

Is it possible the CM17a could communicate with Powermids?

I would rather go directly from USB to RF if possible...

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 06:56:15 PM »

@brandt
Different frequencies if I'm not mistaken. The CM17A is on the 310mhz X10 standard, the Powermids are
somewhere around 410mhz.
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »

No the CM17A can not send commands to a RE549 PowerMid receiver.

The CM17A is on the standard X10 310MHz.
The ST539 PowerMid Transmitter uses 418MHz.
The RE549 PowerMid Receiver is also tuned to 418MHz.
The Icon RF can also send on the 310MHz when doing X10 or 418MHz when doing remote IR commands to a RE549 PowerMid receiver.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:16:49 PM by Brian H »

Brandt

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 07:17:03 PM »

Yes I realized that after posting the CM17a is 310mHz, was too lazy to come back and edit my post  ;D

I wasn't really impressed with the Icon/nstinct remote, so Im going to use my iPhone as a remote for A/V, Lighting, HVAC, Security, Irrigation, etc...

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 11:52:43 PM »

@Brandt

FLPR might be your solution.
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

Brandt

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 01:03:42 AM »

@Brandt

FLPR might be your solution.

Oh I hadn't seen that one, it goes on the bottom and you use the phone upside down lol. The other ones plugged into the audio jack on top and looked corny.

I was thinking of writing my own iPhone/Android app. Been meaning to get into that as I finish up college here. I was hoping to just add LIRC to my linux home automation server and write my own socket server program on the server to pass TCP commands from the phone to the appropriate application. From there they would either go to heyu or to LIRC. LIRC should work with the USBUIRT, but i think it's kinda kludgy to go from USB to IR to RF to IR.

I'll look more into the FLPR, thanks...

Brandt

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »

Received my powermids in the mail, ordered a USB-UIRT last night, and installed LIRC last night. I'll keep you posted of how well it works on linux.

Brandt

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 01:05:04 PM »

Dave, How do you couple your USB-UIRT and your Powermids together? Mine are in the garage right below a fluorescent T12 fixture which I hear has a negative affect on IR.

Should I tape them together somehow and put them in a dark cloth bag?

I wonder if there is a way to hard wire the USB-UIRT directly to the Powermid

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »

Dave, How do you couple your USB-UIRT and your Powermids together? Mine are in the garage right below a fluorescent T12 fixture which I hear has a negative affect on IR.
Should I tape them together somehow and put them in a dark cloth bag?

Mine are in my basement office and simply set on a shelf with the USB-UIRT two or three inches from the Powermid. The USB-UIRT really blasts out a nice signal and the Powermid works well also. I wouldn't expect the fluorescent fixture to be a problem... but you could shade the receiver with a cardboard box or something if needed.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.