Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bathrom Fan Turnoff Macro  (Read 17540 times)

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Bathrom Fan Turnoff Macro
« on: May 09, 2010, 09:01:20 PM »

Problem: I find that after a visit to the bathroom I often forget to either: a) turn off the bathroom light and fan after I have left the bathroom, or, more frequently, remember to turn off the light but understandably leave the fan running and then ultimately walk by hours later with the fan STILL running - reminding me of my forgetfulness, wasting electricity.

Ideal Operating Solution:  When I turn on the fan, I would like to leave it run for one of two periods.... first, for a maximum amount of time, no matter what - for say 30 minutes. Secondly, if I have quickly exited and remembered (rare) to turn off the light, have it run for only like, maybe 15 minutes. It should take into account the notion that I might be IN the bathroom, taking a shower and not do anything to disturb that tranquil moment either - well, much. At least not leave me in the dark!

I devised a set of macros to not only do that, but to also make sure I don't forget the light on too... and it has the added benefit of making sure that someone does not dally crazily long in the shower. Here is is:

AHP Ver. 3.236
O/S Vista

Bathroom fan/light control macro

Modules:   F1  Bathroom Fan  X-10 Wall transmitter 
               F2  Bathroom light X-10 Wall transmitter
               Both the light and fan will need an in line module - Appliance for the fan and light for the light.

Macros:    Light on Flag set  - Triggers on F2 ON and sets flag 10
               Light off Flag set -  Triggers on F2 OFF and clears flag 10
               Bath fan timer - starts when the fan (F1) is turned on
               Bath fan timer 2 - if Light ON - picks up and acts one way if the bathroom light is ON
               Bath fan timer 2 - if Light OFF - picks up and acts one way when the bathroom light is OFF

Macro contents:  Flag Set on Light ON   
                        Triggers on F2 ON - (no conditions)
                        Sets Flag 10
                        Stores in interface

Flag clear on Light OFF
                       Triggers on F2 OFF - (no conditions)
                       Clears Flag 10
                       Stores in interface

Bathroom fan timer Macro 1
                       Triggers on F1 (bath fan) ON (no conditions)
                       Delays 5 minutes
                       Turns Bath Timer 2 - lights ON Module (Macro) F3 ON
                       Delays 10 seconds
                       Turns Bath Fan Timer 2 if Light is OFF Module (Macro) F4 ON
                       Stores in interface

Bathroom Fan Timer 2 - if Light is OFF
                       Triggers on F3 (sent by the Bath Fan macro) 
                      Conditions - Receive F3 ON, and Flag status of Flag 10 is CLEAR   
                       Delay 10 minutes
                       Turn Bath Fan off (F1 OFF)
                       Clear Flag 10  [insurance]
                       Stores in interface   

Bathroom Fan Timer 2 - if Light is ON
                       Triggers on F4 (sent by Bath Fan Macro)
                      Conditions - Receive F4 ON, and flag status of flag 10 is SET   
                       Delay 15 minutes
                       Bath Light F2 OFF
                       Delay 3 seconds
                       Bath Light F2 ON     [Note: this is the 10 minute warning]
                       Delay 10 minutes
                       Bathroom light F2 OFF
                       Bathroom Fan F1 OFF
                       Clear Flag 10 [I know this is technically redundant, but a safety measure]
                       Stores in interface

Operation:  If I walk into the bathroom, and turn on the light and fan, the Macros will set a flag (flag 10 - light ON) and start the Bath Fan Macro. Nothing will happen for 15 minutes. If before that I have departed the bathroom and turned off the light but also left the fan on, the "Bath Fan Timer Macro 2 - Light off", will have already seen that the light is off (flag 10 will have been cleared by my action in turning OFF the light) and the macro will thusly turn off the fan at roughly the 15 minute mark. Mission accomplished.

IF the light is still on however, the above macro will not run due to the "light off" (flag 10 clear) condition not having been satisfied.

Then, another path is taken. 20 Minutes after I turned the fan and light on, if the light is still on,the "Bath Fan Macro -if Light ON" will become proactive. This takes into account that I might yet be IN the bathroom, and so it does not leave me in the dark, but gives me a 10 minute warning to "get going". It does so by turning the light quickly on and off - once. This will serve as a warning that in 10 minutes the fan and light will be turned off. This a reminder that I need to GET out of the shower! And, as warned, in 10 minutes, the light and fan will be turned off (and the flag 10 cleared) at roughly the 30 minute mark. Mission accomplished.

Seems like a lot of work for something so simple, but I hope to pay for it in energy saved.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:13:17 PM by glacier991 »

Brandt

• Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: Bathrom Fan Turnoff Macro
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 11:28:25 PM »

Maybe I missed this, but what type of modules are F1 and F2?

glacier991

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:31:05 PM »

They are a flourescent capable switch for the light and a 20A inductive load type for the fan. Really though, in the design of it all, matters not. I'll go back and add that however, just to be clear.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:47:47 PM by glacier991 »

qwiksilver96

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:44:09 AM »

They are a flourescent capable switch for the light and a 20A inductive load type for the fan. Really though, in the design of it all, matters not. I'll go back and add that however, just to be clear.

How do you trigger the macros? Are the switches capable of triggering or are you using a different device/remote to trigger them.

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 11:17:56 AM »

Operation:  If I walk into the bathroom, and turn on the light and fan, the Macros will set a flag (flag 10 - light ON)

How does AHP know that the light and fan were turned on? 

I have a similar setup for my bathroom, but I needed a MS14a motion sensor to send a signal to the CM15 to kick off the macro.

Both light and fan stay for 4 minutes after motion is no longer detected.  At night, only the light comes on.  The fan can be manually started and as long as the macro had turned the light on, the off macro will turn the fan off as well.

Additionally, both fan and light can be turned off manually and the macro will restart both when the MS next detects motion.

Mel

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 12:44:01 PM »

The XPDI3 is not a two way module. It does not transmit an X10 signal when actuated locally.
You turn  it on or off from its local paddle and AHP will not have a clue you changed its state.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.