Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Powermax PRO from Visonic and x10 modules (meta: x-10 / x10)  (Read 10715 times)

Newt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi,
I just bought the Powermax PRO securitysystem from Visonic and added GSM-module (int), Powerlink (int), and the INFINITE XM-10E 2WAY INTERFACE (ext).
My problem is that ... NOTHING HAPPENS when I try to control an appliancemodule.
I live in Denmark and dont know if cabling is any different than US - except for the voltage difference.
What's the difference between "NOT 3 PHASES", "3 PHASES 50hz", "3 PHASES 60hz" ?
Is it necessary to register the external x10-interface or is it just plug-n-play ?
Is there any way to check wether it's the transmitter or the receiver that's not working (or set up) properly?

-NeWT

Newt

Re: Powermax PRO from Visonic and x10 modules (meta: x-10 / x10)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:02:39 AM »

Hi again,

I was wondering, after trying numerous different RJ11 cables without any luck... can anyone explain the jumpers next to the RJ11 plug on the inside of powermax PRO ?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 08:21:42 AM »

I downloaded all the manuals I could find on the Visonic web site.
The manuals are not clear at all on the jumpers.
The only one you would have to make sure of is the one or two way X10 module choice. You would want two way.

Did the PowerMax Pro or the XM-10E come with an RJ11 cable?  There are two different types of RJ11 cables. Those normally used with phones and a Data [streight through] types. I have used the TW523 interface here in the US and interfacing with some devices needed the Data type while others the Phone type. Maybe that is your problem. Does the RED LED on the XM-10E blink off when you use the keyboard to send an X10 control signal? That could be used as an indication of the XM-10E seeing the commands.

I am going to try and explain how to tell the phone and data types.
Hold both plugs with the latch up and facing each other like you where trying to connect them together. Look into the connectors and if the wire colors match it is a phone type. If the colors are reversed it is a data type.

One more thought. The PowerLinc {int} comes with a dual RS232 module that looks like RJ45 connectors. You are not connecting the XM-10E to one of those are you?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:00:36 AM by Brian H »

Newt

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:53:38 AM »

Hi,
It was already set to 2way, so I'll just leave it there.
The XM10E did not come with any cables. The one I'm using is a phone-type according to your explanation, and it's connected to the X10-plug inside powermax PRO (next to the jumpers - see image above). (now confirmed to be wrong type of cables. you need to use the crossed (data) RJ11-cables)
The red LED on XM10E does NOT blink when I toggle the signal - it's constant ON.

I can see the enrolled x10 device when I connect through the powerlinc webportal, and switch it on and off (on screen), but nothing happens with the "real" lamp.
Does that mean that the RJ11 cable is correct and that the XM10E is properly connected to the powermax PRO ?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:59:44 AM by Newt »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:22:34 AM »

I don't know enough about the Powermax Pro seeing the enrolled X10 device indicates the cable is correct.

If you disconnect the XM10E from the console. Does anything change in the status of the enrolled device? If not then the cable being correct or incorrect would not be determined by the enrolled device showing.

With the XM10E disconnected does the console give any warnings. If it did then the cable maybe correct as most times loss of the Zero Crossing signal can trigger a problem indication.

The LED not blinking indicates it is not sending any data to the power line to control an X10 device.

You may want to see if you can get a Data Type cable to try. If one is needed and a standard phone one was used. The signals to and from the XM10E would be in the wrong places and not work.

I know the manuals don't indicate a data type is needed but I have had problems with the USA TW523 and cables. Depending on what I was interfacing with and how the device in question was wired. I have had devices wired so a phone type cable will get the signals correct and those where the device needed a data type to get the signals correct. Nothing seems to be standard these days.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:56:24 PM by Brian H »

Newt

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 10:57:57 AM »

:)%
Well, I can now confirm that Powermax Pro and the X10-interface needs to be connected with a crossed RJ11 cable (DATA-cable).
I can also confirm that the XM-10E will ignite the LED constant when powered, but will blink when receiving a signal from the powermax.

My next project must be to find out why the lamp-module only works in some part of my house....  B:(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 11:26:16 AM »

OK Glad you got the units talking to each other. Too bad the manual didn't make a note of that fact. ???

You may have to do some signal troubleshooting to find noise makers and signal suckers.

According to the "Electricity Around The World" web site. I don't believe Denmark uses split single phase which can be a problem here in the US.

Jeff has some good tutorials on X10 signals and how they are effected by noise and signal suckers.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:29:06 PM by Brian H »

OOO

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 01:50:18 PM »

Not that resurrect a thread, more for future visitors, the Powermax Plus installer documentation (http://download.homesecuritystore.com/downloadmanual.aspx?FileName=POWERMAXPLUS_Install.pdf) mentions for the RJ11 that "IMPORTANT! OFF-THESHELF CABLES ARE UNSUITABLE HERE. PREPARE YOUR OWN “ONE TO ONE” CABLE.", but it's in the fine print of course... B:(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 03:26:24 PM »

Actually some vendors do sell both phone type and data type RJ11 cables.
Though most don't have the data style.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.