Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Controlling the television and other electronics  (Read 3936 times)

gossamer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Controlling the television and other electronics
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »

Hi,

We have a "multifunction" remote control that works with our TV, DVD, cable box, and receiver. However, it requires pressing five or six different buttons to turn them all individually on and off. They are also frequently left on because it's not clear that the units are on or off, even after clicking the buttons.

Outside of purchasing another remote, what suggestions do you have for automating this? Perhaps an X10 macro with a pocket remote control, like the KR19A? Can I use that to control appliances?

What modules would you recommend? Powering off the TV and receiver would be okay, but powering off the cable box (DVR) would not be the right way to go...

Thanks,
Alex

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Controlling the television and other electronics
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:50:19 PM »

What modules would you recommend? Powering off the TV and receiver would be okay, but powering off the cable box (DVR) would not be the right way to go...

Your right! The cable box has to retain power... but most other devices can lose power when the TV is turned off. A great device for controlling power based on the status of the TV is the TV TrickleSaver. I have one on my TV (so my automation setup can tell if the TV is on or not). You would still need to turn the devices ON... but the TrickleSaver removes power when the TV is turned OFF (they make them for computers as well).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

gossamer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:17:10 PM »

Your right! The cable box has to retain power... but most other devices can lose power when the TV is turned off. A great device for controlling power based on the status of the TV is the TV TrickleSaver. I have one on my TV (so my automation setup can tell if the TV
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out!
Thanks,
Alex

Deemar

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »

You sound like you'd prefer something like the Harmony 1000 remote more than X10 for this.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 06:32:07 PM »

You sound like you'd prefer something like the Harmony 1000 remote more than X10 for this.

Oh wow... a Harmony 1000 remote (see attached image) the best remote made... vs [maybe an] X10 UR73A. Yeah... I think I'd go with the Harmony. 

I own (and use) an older, smaller, CHEAPER, harmony remote. The problem that many users of "macro based remote actions" have... is time. It can take 2-3 or even several seconds for the remote to "flash" all those IR codes out to the devices. Most people (particularly female people) tend to wave the remote during operation. So some devices "miss" seeing the activation or off command.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:38:53 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 10:48:33 PM »

Hi,

We have a "multifunction" remote control that works with our TV, DVD, cable box, and receiver. However, it requires pressing five or six different buttons to turn them all individually on and off. They are also frequently left on because it's not clear that the units are on or off, even after clicking the buttons.

A major problem with trying to automate IR controls is that few appliances, if any, have absolute On and Off IR codes - only an On/Off toggle.

Outside of purchasing another remote, what suggestions do you have for automating this? Perhaps an X10 macro with a pocket remote control, like the KR19A? Can I use that to control appliances?

The X10 UX23A "VCR Commander" has a mode which can control up to three appliances via IR.  Tuicemen's "PC Commander" software has an optional plug-in which can operate the UX23A in this mode.  The one hangup is that the IR codes are fixed in the UX23A firmware and there may not exist codes for many newer appliances.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 02:58:54 AM »

A major problem with trying to automate IR controls is that few appliances, if any, have absolute On and Off IR codes - only an On/Off toggle.

That's so true. That's how I use the TV TrickleSaver. One device I have plugged into the TrickleSaver is a old wall-wart (12V AC) that is wired to a Powerflash module. The Powerflash is set to my monitored code. Now my setup keeps track of the TV's power status (based the Powerflash). When the TV is powered ON, or OFF, the TV TrickleSaver does the same to  the wall-wart/Powerflash.

The X10 UX23A "VCR Commander" has a mode which can control up to three appliances via IR.  Tuicemen's "PC Commander" software has an optional plug-in which can operate the UX23A in this mode.  The one hangup is that the IR codes are fixed in the UX23A firmware and there may not exist codes for many newer appliances.

I just mentioned in a recent post that I use the BVC optional USB-UIRT. The learning and controlling software is "built-in" to BVC. I recently setup an IR controlled fan (YouTube Video) to operate via X10 command (or voice command). The BVC isn't the only one... but it is the most complete IR solution that I've found.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:01:06 AM by Dave_x10_L »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.