Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to reverse AM486 ON/OFF  (Read 7666 times)

psingelyn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How to reverse AM486 ON/OFF
« on: May 20, 2010, 07:41:16 PM »

I have searched this forum, as well as the rest of the 'net, to find a solution to my problem, but no luck so far.
I only have a Palm Pad remote and transceiver and a few AM486 modules. I am making something similar to the "Party Button" seen all over YouTube, but it will just be turning some lights on and some off (a "Party Button" video was what got me turned on to X10).

These are the ideas I have thought of:
- My original idea was to somehow reverse the polarity of the relay in some of my AM486 modules, so they would take an ON command from the remote, but actually turn OFF. I don't think this is possible though, after taking apart the module.
- Another idea is to have 2 Palm Pad remotes, and my pushbutton would activate the ON for channel 1 on one remote, and the OFF for channel 2 on the other remote. Would this mean I would need 2 transceivers? Would I have to set them to 2 different house codes? Can there be 2 signals sent at once through the house?
- I wanted to try to stay away from using a PC to control these things, although it may be easier in the long run (more room for improvement/addition).
- I also thought of making some sort of circuit using a relay plugged in to the AM486, so that the AM486 powers the relay coil, and interrupts the power to a lamp or whatever device plugged in to the relay.

What does everybody think of these ideas? Any other ideas? Has this been done before? Is there some easy way to do this that I am completely missing?  :P

Thanks in advance for the help.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: How to reverse AM486 ON/OFF
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »

What does everybody think of these ideas? Any other ideas? Has this been done before? Is there some easy way to do this that I am completely missing?  :P

I think this link is the "original" emergency party button. This has come up at the forum before.

What you need is simple programming (turn this off.. turn that on). That simple programming is called "macros". They can be created on software loaded on your computer (Active Home Pro)... the the macros are then downloaded to an interface (CM15A).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:01:11 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:21:03 PM »

- Another idea is to have 2 Palm Pad remotes, and my pushbutton would activate the ON for channel 1 on one remote, and the OFF for channel 2 on the other remote. Would this mean I would need 2 transceivers? Would I have to set them to 2 different house codes? Can there be 2 signals sent at once through the house?

If you attempt to send two X10 RF signals at the same time, both signals will be corrupted.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 08:16:46 AM »

- I wanted to try to stay away from using a PC to control these things, although it may be easier in the long run (more room for improvement/addition).
- I also thought of making some sort of circuit using a relay plugged in to the AM486, so that the AM486 powers the relay coil, and interrupts the power to a lamp or whatever device plugged in to the relay.

1 - As Charles stated, you can not have two RF transmitters, transmitting on the same frequency at the same time. The signals beat against each other and nothing get through.

2. Might want to rethink this. Once you make the "Party Button" you will probably want to do more, and PC is the easist way to expand to new functions and more lights/appliance control. The CM15A with AHP is probably the least expensive way to go, especially if you want to avoid keeping your PC on 24/7. The CM15A with AHP can be uploaded with simple macros and the PC isn't needed after the upload. Some of the AHP "plug-ins" do require the PC 24/7 but that won't come until you get really
"hooked".

3 - Yes a SPDT or DPDT 120V coil relay will do what you want.
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-453/120-VAC-RELAY-DPDT-12-AMPS//1.html
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.