Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: World Famous ActiveHome PC Home Automation System - ONLY $9.99! BLAAA  (Read 10535 times)

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4

ok so I bought it, want to try some stuff with touch screen tablet PC's around the house, this is what I got.

1 Wireless PC Transceiver (CM19A)     $49.99
1 ActiveHome Professional Software (SW31A)    $49.99
1 Small Wireless Transceiver (TM751)

and of course after some research and trial and error, I find out that the software does not seem to work with the CM19A.

http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/cm19a.html link that says it does not work with activehome software.

Has anyone got this to work, and if it does not work what the hell is X10 promoting something that is incompatible to each other.

on a positive note I love the Icon Remote, very cool.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com

astrothug,

It is my understanding that Active Home Pro will work with the CM19A, within limits.

First, I'm not positive that AHP will install the driver for the CM19A, although I have been told by some that it does.
Second, since the CM19A is RF only, control of power line devices will be limited to the 16 on the House Code the TM751 is set to and you will probably have to convince AHP to send all commands by RF.
Third, since the CM19A is a computer interface only, and doesn't have any memory to store timers and macros, all of those will have to be created as "Run from PC" and not "Store in interface".

I'm with you in wondering what X10 was thinking with this bundle.  But, it may be a really nice and cheap introduction to AHP, assuming it can be made to work this way.

I sense a barrage of questions looming from both old and new AHP users!   B:(

If you have the guts to try it out, I (and I'm sure others) would be really interested in the journey.

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

Yes I also see it on the horizon.
Active Home Pro and Active Home PC. Read it quick and you may think you are getting a CM15A.

I have seen this lately on the sales site.
So everyone read carefully the Whats Included Data and Know what you are getting.!
I have also seen low ball prices on things like AHP and you get just the basic unit and software. The add on price get you back to the old price with everything in it.

I do think the CM19A maybe supported by AHP or we have another mismatched kit.  ::)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

I think this is X10's idea for replacing the old Firecracker marketing tool. When the Firecracker kit first came out X10 gave them away free. This is the USB replacement and I wonder if X10 has really ironed out the details of driving the CM19 with AHP...sigh. I suspect X10 is hoping the forum will carry their water. Pity all the X10 users with Mini, Maxi consoles, Mini Timers or in wall transmitter like XPT expecting this CM19 to be cheap way to home automation.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

I remember my first order to X10... it was the RCA gift pack plus a PalmPad remote... I paid full price for the remote. After I received my order and did some reading... I called X10 back and ordered a TM751.

I think some of X10 package deals are designed to sell products... not "build a system". But I do think the CM19A can be used with the AHP software. Maybe I can do some tests.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

drwolf

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I too purchased this and found it doesn't work. False advertising

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX

A couple of years ago I unplugged the CM15A from a working AHP system and plugged in a CM19A.  (The DLL was running but AHP itself was not running).  I recall it worked with ahcmd.exe RF commands from the SDK (executed at the command line in a terminal window.)   

It didn't work very well.  It frequently crashed after just 2-3 RF commands,  But it crashed just as frequently with the CM15A as the transmitter.   I blamed the problem on the SDK ahcmd.exe implementation.

Try unplugging and replugging the CM19A - perhaps that's needed to properly initialize the CM19A and/or the DLL.

Also try rebooting the system while the CM19A is plugged in.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer

I wounder if the latest AHP 3.271 if memory serves me. Has added CM19A control or fixed some of the bugs. Some here indicated extra RF commands where available in 3.271.

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
CM19A testing
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »

After installing 3.271, with Smart Macros and OnAlert plugins, did some testing with just the CM19A hooked up.  It works!!  Able to both receive and transmit via RF (I could never transmit with 3.236). 

I noticed that in a macro, using the "device on" results in log entries showing both PLC and RF commands transmitted.  Using "RF command" only sends the RF command (as it should).  I guess Smart Macros isn't quite smart enough to know you can't send a PLC command if you only have an RF device attached.   :D

Just a little FYI for those who are curious.

ITguy

Brian H

• Community Organizer

Thank you very much for that information.  >!
Now we know how they can sell a CM19A and have it controlled by AHP if it is the latest 3.271.

Also added a helpful for you.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: CM19A testing
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 06:00:27 PM »

After installing 3.271, with Smart Macros and OnAlert plugins, did some testing with just the CM19A hooked up.  It works!!  Able to both receive and transmit via RF (I could never transmit with 3.236). 

The CM19A works with AHP only if you 3.271. Very Helpful information ITguy... Thank-You!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: CM19A testing
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 07:10:41 PM »

ITguy,

Yes, thank you for helping to solve both puzzles!   #:)

>!  (and a "Helpful")
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

You need the plug-ins with 3.271 to use the CM19A with it.  I have 3.271 by itself and it's the plain AHP.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8

You need the plug-ins with 3.271 to use the CM19A with it.  I have 3.271 by itself and it's the plain AHP.

Dan,

Are you sure about that?  I just did a complete uninstall of AHP (including deleting the AHP folder in Program Files), then reinstalled without installing any of the plugins (not even Smart Macros).  I'm still able to receive and transmit using the CM19A!

ITguy

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

What does it show up in 3.271 with no plug-ins? 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.