Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: camera in front door?  (Read 15648 times)

calldrin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
camera in front door?
« on: May 29, 2010, 04:00:33 PM »

Has anyone done a camera install in a door "peep hole"?
I want to be able to view who is at the door.
Mounting it outside doesn't appear as a good idea ... how can you get a front view of the person ..etc and it would be subject to mischief.
Hope someone has a idea

Thanks, Chuck

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Re: camera in front door?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 07:51:31 PM »

There are peep-hole cameras available, although not from X10...

For example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Security-Tactical-Door-View-Color-Camera-Peep-hole-NEW-/310220032075?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483a8e084b

I never tried one, but they range from $20-$200. 
They did not pass the chief financial officer at my house...   :-\

>!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 08:42:47 PM »

H-m-m-m My CFO must have qraduated from same school.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:35:25 PM »

Knightrider shared with me his DoorBell camera. Which I also now use.

I have a powerflash module connected to the doorbell... and an AHP set of macros. Ringing the doorbell causes the powerflash module to trigger the macro... which includes recording video and displaying the door cameras view on the TV for 7 seconds (if the TV is on).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

nybuck

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 07:43:15 AM »

H-m-m-m My CFO must have qraduated from same school.

In Government they would say, "It got shot down by Budget."

With my CFO, it has nothing to do with cost...   Standing orders are "Nothing black with a cord."  :-\
>!

calldrin

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 09:30:39 AM »

I have a powerflash module connected to the doorbell... and an AHP set of macros. Ringing the doorbell causes the powerflash module to trigger the macro... which includes recording video and displaying the door cameras view on the TV for 7 seconds (if the TV is on).
[/quote]

My question is where/how do you mount the camera to get clear view of the person's face?
If I mount it up at the rafter/eaves height, don't you just get the tops of the person's head?
Pictures anyone?
Chuck

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:28:25 AM »

What about using something, near the camera lens, that makes a loud 'ding' or 'pop'?  Reflexive action should cause the person to look toward the noise source.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 11:24:40 AM »

I want to be able to view who is at the door.

With my camera mounted outside... I have no trouble recognizing who is at the door. My camera is slightly overhead and about ten feet away. The camera also gives me a decent view of the driveway... so I might also see a car. I have installed a similar setup at my stepdaughters home and it works at least as well.

I am not sure what your intentions are. As for me.. whereas it is nice to have a heads up as to who is at the door.. my intentions are security related.

Just like security alarm signs and window stickers deter intrusions... I believe so do outside mounted cameras. So besides the alarm and stickers and signs, solid door locks, and bunches of motion sensor lights at night... I have some easy to spot cameras outside. I also have cameras.. that aren't so easy to spot. And of course I also use BVC and a motion activated voice warning (both day and night now).

Of course... cameras are easy to defeat... by simply looking away. And if police don't show up in three minutes (or less) the alarm isn't going to help much ether. And the best steel door with the strongest bump-proof lock... doesn't prevent the old "throw the deck furniture through a window to gain entry trick". For everything we do... the bad guys also have a defense. But with a little effort.. we can more than even the odds in our favor. And unless the would be intruder is a total idiot they will move on to our neighbors home.

Meanwhile we also get a peek at who is at the door when the doorbell rings.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 11:28:19 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

calldrin

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 06:55:58 PM »

Knightrider shared with me his DoorBell camera. Which I also now use.

Hi Dave,
Would you be so kind as to share your macro for this ;-)
As you well know, I have a lot to learn from you guys with lots of experience!!!!
Thanks,  and see you on the "BVC forum" soon.

Chuck

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »

If Dave don't get to it, I will.  I've just had a long week-end doing sound work and the computer the macro resides on was used outside of the home.  I promise to get to it ASAP unless Dave helps out.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

nybuck

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 08:00:06 PM »

My question is where/how do you mount the camera to get clear view of the person's face?
If I mount it up at the rafter/eaves height, don't you just get the tops of the person's head?
Pictures anyone?
Chuck

I lean toward the peep-hole setup available on Ebay.  Although it's not X10, I agree that it would be the best way to see the person's face.

I have also seen cameras mounted in the doorbell, some having a built-in intercom.  After all, you gotta look at the doorbell to push it...

Here's an Ebay search:  http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=camera%20door%20intercom&_fcid=1&_jgr=0&_localstpos=10918&_sc=1&_sop=15&_sticky=1&_stpos=10918&gbr=1

It looks like they have wired and 2.4 GHz wireless models.  They MAY even work with X10 receivers...
>!

GMAN

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 06:42:22 PM »

Project in the works....camera (wired) to be hidden in Porch Light.
Been wanting to put up a new fixture anyway. The one that's up now I refurbished some time ago,and is showing it's age again. I found one I think might work. The base is real thick as it has a built-in Motion Sensor. Plan is to remove the Sensor and related pieces, mount the cam inside and utilize the area the sensor would have 'looked' through for the camera to now look through. Door bell activation and a macro will set things in motion. Another thought that came to me was to also have the light itself 'turn on' after a quick moment as I believe a persons reaction would be to look at it..hence look at the camera. Even after dark when the light is already on I will still have a clear view of who's at the door.
Just wanted to share.   G.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 07:26:48 PM »

Sound like great idea. Let us know how it works out.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

nybuck

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 08:17:29 PM »

GMAN:  A picture of that might be worth a thousand words.

It sounds great.
>!

GMAN

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 12:04:39 PM »

I'll keep at it.
The only snaggle right now is the store for the Light Fixture I'm drawn to is out of town. Don't want to do Mail-Order to save the hassle if my choice doesn't work out. The Orange and Blue Stores....OK, Depot and Lowes, mainly Lowes, has second choice ones that need
closer inspection. (measuring) I will do pics of project.
As an added bonus, my son is home now for the summer to help with a extra set of hands and to assure I DO NOT do another 'header' off a ladder as I did before when trying to do things by myself.  :o

Preventable mistake!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.