Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there a way that a way than UM506 can close a garage door but not open it?  (Read 11168 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

OK Thanks for the information.
Maybe time for me to try an advanced search, I am always telling others to use.  ;D

mcbbcn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Brian and Dave,

I don't really know what I'm doing which it is very dangerous.   -:)

I got my electrical tester and I visited my garage door.  I found out that behind the smart control panel, it has a red and white/red cable that goes to the garage door opener to a couple of sockets denominated as "door control".

I'm using the tester YF-602.  If you do a search in the following page for YF-602, you will find it: http://www.fabletybertoni.com/catalogo/i01/I01.htm

I checked the voltage for continuity and against the two cables behind the smart control cable and it indicated 15 continuous volts.

Now, it is when it gets interesting because I don't really know what I'm doing but I hope you can tell me.  My tester has 3 sections DCV, ACV and DCA.  I set my tester to DCA.  Within DCA there is a position for 2m, 20m and 200m.  I set the position to 2m, and I touch the two metallic screws behind the smart panel where the red and white/red cables are connected.  I touched them with the black and red tester cables and it opened the door and I touch them again, it close the door.  Then, I set the tester to 20m and I did the same and it open and then it close the door.

Can you tell me if there is a solution based on what just shared with you?

Thanks for your help,

M.

mcbbcn

Here you can see a better picture of the tester I'm using:

http://www.sensorconsult.com/produkt/male/bilder/s10o.jpg

You will notice in the lower left a section called DCA and it has the 2m, 20m and 200m settings.

M.

Brian H

• Community Organizer

You connected a meter set to ma across the voltage and not in series with it?
Ampmeters go in series with the load. Putting them across the load or voltage source is a short circuit.
Did the meter read overload? My guess is No.

The meter in the ma setting acted like a very low resistance short when placed across the load {controller}.

It looks like Dave's push button across the wires maybe an undocumented action on your opener.

You maybe able to just connect the UM506 across the wires to make it go up and down.
Adding the magnetic switch so it only can only close it would also be possible.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:30:38 AM by Brian H »

mcbbcn

OK, I will get the UM506.  Thanks for all your help!

M.

mcbbcn

Hi Brian and Dave >!

I just ordered Home Automation Pro, CM15, UM506, a "normally closed" magnetic switch (so electricity will flow when the magnet is not there or when the garage opens".

Now, I have a question about the resistor.  What kind of resistor do I need to get to have a Dave's small low voltage coming out of the UM506 to the Smart Panel?

By the way, I'm planning to install the UM506 in the following way.  I assume two cables will come out of the UM506.  Let's call them Cable A and Cable B to be clear.

- Cable A will be connected to one of the contacts behind the Smart panel
- Cable B will have a couple of things connected in series:
                1. Closest to the UM506, I will connect the magnetic switch will be closed (i.e. electricity flowing) when one of the magnets moves (i.e. when the garage door moves)
                2. Then, I will connect one of the magnetic cables to one of the resistor terminals
                3. From the remaining resistor terminal, I will have a cable going to the other contact behind the Smart Panel

Does the above design sound good to you?   :-)

M.

Brian H

• Community Organizer

Since your ammeter across the two controller wires triggered the up and down. I would say no resistor needed.
The UM506 does not supply any voltage or current. It acts like an X10 actuated switch. When it is triggered it will close its output terminals and trigger the opener though the magnetic switch to limit operations to door position.

mcbbcn

Thanks a lot Brian!  I really appreciate it!

mcbbcn

Brian,

Sorry to ask so many questions.  I feel I'm close to have this one figured out.

When you activate the UM506, would you send an on and off signal to the relay?  I assume that you would not leave it on (i.e. close circuit) all the time, right?

M.

mcbbcn

Brian,

No need to answer this one.  I found out that the UM506 has a momentary and a continuous function, so I will be using the momentary function like a door bell.

Thanks for all your help,

M.

Brian H

• Community Organizer

Yes just send an On and have it set to Momentary on the Left Side Switch and Relay only on the Right Side Switch. If you also want to hear the beeper as a confirmation of the module receiving the command. You can use the Sounder & Relay choice.

mcbbcn

:)%

Cool!  Thank you!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.